Arc-AAA beta test and general topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthLumen

Newly Enlightened
Greetings All:
I am new to Candlepowerforums and feel as though I have found my way home! It's encouraging to know there are other light junkies out there....now I know I don't need help...I just simply need to purchase more lights!!!!
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought Arc went out of business. When did they revamp the company?
Found you guys via "flashlightreviews.com"...thanks Doug P. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
My original company did go out of business unfortunately. But after being away for about a year, we are back with a new company, new backers and updated designs.

Welcome to the CPF NightVision (cool handle, surprised that was still available).

So are you a collector or you just looking for that perfect tool?

--

Darell, I'll email you man. I would like to make a uh.. annoucement with the start of the new thread but I gotta check with the guys doing our website first. Can ya give me a day or two please? Otherwise, we can do another "general" topic thread.

Peter

RayT

Newly Enlightened
OK. Went water skiing and wakeboarding yesterday. Thought I would take the AAA along attached to my ski vest with a lanyard.

Several falls later the AAA was still working. I even tried with the light on while skiing. Took one nasty header when I hit a "wet" spot and lost control. The light was still shining (or were those stars I was seeing!)

Bottom line is that this light has taken everything I have thrown at it. I am not one to consider firing out of a gun or running it through a garbage disposal. These are not things I expose my body to and the AAA will be close to my body.

I have not found anything within reason that this AAA light will not absorb.

To paraphrase a famous watch commercial "It takes a blowing, but keeps on glowing."

DarthLumen

Newly Enlightened
Gransee, glad to hear you guys are back in business. I've heard nothing but good things concerning Arc!

I'm surprised the display name was still available as well...guess I lucked up.

Not a collector (however, I think I could get into it) but just a light freak.

Question...how does the Peak lights (Matterhorn single LED) compare to the new Arc? The folks at Peak (naturally)claims their's is better (said their LED is "whiter")I noticed the Matterhorn was not current rugulated and not waterproof.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to purchasing several Arc's!!!!!!!!!!!

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, i thought the Peak lights were waterproof and semi-regulated as well. Am i wrong?

procure

Newly Enlightened
As long as we're comparing, does anyone know how the new Arc compares to the JIL? Thanks.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
10,000 on-off cycles. 1,000 of them were with the Arc frozen in a block of ice with the head exposed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Holy cow!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif :jawdrop: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
I only managed 1,200 cycles (2,400 twists total) in one evening before my hands were poopeded out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :toliet: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

TRC

Newly Enlightened
The comments in this thread regarding firing a Beta Arc-AAA out of a shotgun got me to thinking....

Having nothing better to do at 2AM (I'm off work for four days! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) I did a BUNCH of searches using Arc and firearms related terms, until I found this post from a long time ago:

I received this E-mail from a freind I sent an Arc-AAA to for Xmas:

I had an interesting experience with the nice LED light that you sent for
Xmas. I wanted to look at the bore of a Confederate Enfield rifle-musket in
my collection. The bore is .577, so I usually drop in a miniMagLite. But that
light seemed a bit dim, so I decided to use the new LED.

(Note: I think he must have meant a Gaglight Solitaire; I think the head of a MiniGaglight is much bigger than .577; that's only a little over half an inch....)

It was an interesting experience! I took off the clip, turned it on, and
dropped in the LED, and looked down the bore. OOOOOUUUUCCHHH! That sucker
is bright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even down a 40 inch barrel, that is one hot bulb.

The barrel helped focus the bulb, however, and it allowed me to literally
"shoot" the light across the darkened house in a highly focused beam. It was
like having a .577 caliber laser that I could paint on target. Neat!

But then I discovered the problem. The well knurled LED body of the light
wedged at the bottom at a slight angle, and would not come out. Shaking the
gun didn't work. Pounding the buttplate with a rubber soled shoe didn't
work. Smacking the muzzle down on the carpet didn't work. Clearly, I
needed more force.....

So, I did what any red-blooded American rifleman would do. I got the hottest
percussion cap in my ammo can, pulled the hammer to half ****, put the cap
on the nipple, pulled the hammer to full ****, aimed at a pile of dirty
clothes, and fired away. The LED shot out at a nice clip, and landed gently
in a pair of jeans.

So, I invented what the world always needed...the first muzzle loading
tracer round!

Is this covered in Arc's warranty??

Fortunately, the clip end of the light took the force of the
percussion cap... Still, I think this is a first.

So _apparantly_ an Arc-AAA HAS been fired from a rifle....well, sort of. But I wouldn't give short shrift to a percussion cap for black power; they are several times more powerful than a primer for smokeless powder. The flame front has to travel quite a ways down the percussion nipple to get to the black powder. And large grains of black powder aren't as easy to ignite as small flakes or uniform little rods of smokeless powder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

ericl

Newly Enlightened
I own a 3-led aaa peak light. (I believe 3-leds are no longer sold by peak)

While the light does boost voltage of course, it behaves exactly like an unregulated light, while the of course my ARC aaa's do not.

I think the arc is much better.

chrisse242

Enlightened
Looking at various runtime plots I rarely see a difference between the arc and peaks aaa, if any. I guess the difference is if you want maximum brightness and can live with blue tint and possibly reduced LED lifetime, or if you can give up some brightness for whither light and longer lifetime.

Chrisse

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless they have changed their designs, the Peak AA runtime plots look little more then a typical alkaline discharge curve while their CR123 lights appeared to be much more flatly regulated. As in the Arc, I would presume the new Eveready lithium L92's would provide a flatter discharge curve. That is all I use in my Arc now and it makes for an unbelievable light light (pun not intended).

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
10,000 on-off cycles. 1,000 of them were with the Arc frozen in a block of ice with the head exposed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Holy cow!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif :jawdrop: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
I only managed 1,200 cycles (2,400 twists total) in one evening before my hands were poopeded out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :toliet: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say, it takes 5 seconds for one cycle(yes I have counted it, it takes about 4 - 6 seconds ) .... so it will be 50,000 Seconds for the 10,000 Cycles...

i.e. ((50,000 / 60) / 60) = 13.888 Hours.

My hands started to ache after 10 minutes of cycles... but i am not a reviewer nor a tester, so my hands are like a normal human being.

I also dont think that Quickbeam sat for 13.88 Hours doing the cycles alone. Assuming that he did One hour Cycles every day for a fortnite (2 weeks) .... I must say.. his hands are Strong... (reminds me of American Chopper's Mr. Paul Senior)

Or, he had used a Machine for those cycles... Oh.. i didnt count the Lubrication time... but i really dont care /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i did it on a SS Light...

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PeLu said:
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
Holy crap! 10k cycles?...

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks promising. As I already wrote, the prior ArcAAAs (different versions) have not been cave proof.
Most (in the meanwhile the majority) of them developed some problems, funny enough different ones. It looks that this additional grommet at the end could cure some of them.

I wish there would be some kind of front lens one day....
(yes, yes, I know it was discussed ad nauseam), but removing the lint and other dirt is just unecessary work....

[/ QUOTE ]

adding a Polycarbonate lens... means 10 - 15 % drop in Output... thats what i have read here.
adding a Double AR Coated Lens (loss of about 7% light) or a gold plated brass +ve contact (to improve on the +ve contact) means .. increase in cost to a great extent, re-engineering the light design.

so, lets go with the Orignal Design with some structural modifications, including the -Ve Contact Brass Revet, Re-Test the Design and offer the light as soon as possible. Fastest way... definately.

On the other hand, There is always an Arc AAA ... Rev 5 Option Open /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
dont give up yet PeLu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... edit:Added: Coz I haven't given up yet.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Someone should put the light into a vibratory paint mixer/shaker. There have been plenty of sudden/sharp impacts done, but no repetitive ones. Or maybe a clothes dryer for a few hours, with nothing else in the dryer. On high heat.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog : Dont be a Devil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif just kidding...

but on a rather serious note...
heyyyy... Come on guys... It's just a piece of HA III Aluminium !... Some one gets to shooting some one puts in barrel some one washes in in washing machine and what not... drop it and whar ever....

I think, it can do all what a Piece of Metal with HAIII Does.

The Point is, more importantly, how long it burns, how much light it produces, what's the discharge curve with various types of batteries... :)witty: how will it react to Li-Ion AAA) ... how much reliable it is while switching on and off, what's the design improvements over the previous versions... both electrical and structural...

Rest all has been already proven .. umm what .. may be 3 - 4 years back. Please dont repeat those things.. we all know that Alluminium can survive bomb blast's etc... It's the same light that Peter has brought 4 years back.. do you still want to make the light do all those test's again... how rude!

It has New LED (umm... well.. the Premium version has got it..if not standard version), New External Apprance, a good -Ve Brass Contact... thats what we should test ... Same old circuit ... is already a proven thing... whats more to do in it???

There are already some improvements suggested, but those could come in next releases... Lets deal with what we have in hands.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ViReN said:
Let's say, it takes 5 seconds for one cycle(yes I have counted it, it takes about 4 - 6 seconds ) .... so it will be 50,000 Seconds for the 10,000 Cycles...

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe it is only because I'm a trained professional... but 4-6 seconds for a cycle? In six seconds, I can perform 12 cycles. That changes the math a bit! What are you doing for those six seconds? Removing the head completely?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
[ QUOTE ]
ViReN said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe it is only because I'm a trained professional... but 4-6 seconds for a cycle? In six seconds, I can perform 12 cycles. That changes the math a bit! What are you doing for those six seconds? Removing the head completely?

[/ QUOTE ]

Removing the head completely? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Yessss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

seriously... No Actually, I do it with single hand and take atleast 2 turns... keep light on for atleast 1 - 2 seconds and then turn it off ...

I didn't do the 'testing' just for the sake of testing... wanted it to settle ... more kinda practical testing... but then i repeat again.. i ain't tester... i am not supposed to do it faster! just normal course of action while turning it on and off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

it does take a while Darell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darell: You are most Senior person on CPF (holding a Record Maximum Post's) I appriciate your comments, views and respect them.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ViReN said:
seriously... No Actually, I do it with single hand and take atleast 2 turns... keep light on for atleast 1 - 2 seconds and then turn it off ...

[/ QUOTE ]
ah! OK, makes sense now. You had me worried there! Thought I'd have to swing by India and present the Darell Method of Hand Strengthening.

Hmm. That dosn't sound right...

Anyway, back to the topic - I've done thousands of "normal use" cycles on my proto now, and I can't break the thing. I do have some experience in breaking these in the past, so this is nice to see! Of course it is also still my newest unit.

[ QUOTE ]
Darell: You are most Senior person on CPF (holding a Record Maximum Post's) I appriciate your comments, views and respect them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Aggh! Please don't respect me just because I type a lot. My hope is that sometimes I actually say something relevant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.