Are CR2 flashlights a dying breed?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
O0ps, I didn't say that I have my Aeon on a neck lanyard, which is sort of OT re your question Momocrom.

Bill

Glofindel

Newly Enlightened
I never carry CR2 light on keychain. I found that too big for it.
I landyard it and dropped in the pocket

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't carry CR2 lights on my keychain,the only lights I find suitable for that are Photons or something similar.I use my CR2 lights for EDC instead of carrying a larger or less capable light.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I don't put my CR2 lights on my key chain, they have better beams than AAA lights and are smaller than CR123 or AA lights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Although I don't put my CR2 lights on my key chain, they have better beams than AAA lights and are smaller than CR123 or AA lights.

Shorter, yes. But overall smaller is a different story. Certain AAA lights have excellent beam patterns.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Monocrom already beat me to it, but there are some AAA lights with absolutely beautiful beam patterns, just as there are many CR2 lights with horrendous ones, and in both cases it has little to do with the power source and everything to do with the design parameters of a given light.

I love CR2 lights in general, but I really see many of their positive traits to fare better when compared against CR123 lights in that they are both non-tiny pocket lights where the CR2 is just a bit more pocket friendly when it comes to total volume. Now that I seldom carry AAA anymore it's mostly CR123 lights that find their way into my pocket, but again, that's typically due to the UI and I wish there were a lot of my favorite lights available in CR2.

I'd love to have a CR2 Clicky and Haiku and TC-R2 and....

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I generalized and that was a mistake. I'm a fan of AAA lights and agree that some of them have excellent beam patterns. As you correctly point out, it is not the CR2 power source that gives the potential for good beam patterns, but, IMHO, the circumference. A generalization again, but the bigger circumference allows for a better tuned reflector.

I also agree with your observation that comparing CR2 lights with CR123 lights is the most balanced approach. CR2 lights are a bit more pocket friendly. And I also wish CR2 lights had a broader variety of UIs. I would also love to see a CR2 clicky.

lightplay22

Enlightened
CR2 Clicky would be the ultimate pocket light of all time. I wish for such every time I twist my aeon or Q mini !

archimedes

Flashaholic
Since Henry doesn't want to give us a 14500 Clicky, maybe we can get him thinking about a CR2 Clicky!

HDS CR2 Clicky - now that has a nice ring to it!

CR2 Clicky would be the ultimate pocket light of all time. I wish for such every time I twist my aeon or Q mini !

2IZytMX.jpg

As you can see in the photo comparing Ra Twisties above, the CR2 size doesn't really save much size in the HDS/Ra flashlights :eek:

Last edited:

lightplay22

Enlightened
I'm wishing for a light about the size of the Aeon with a clicky. I know it would have to be a little longer (maybe) but no bigger around. Don't need the split ring as it never gets used anyway. Wish wish wish!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
As you can see in the photo comparing Ra Twisties above, the CR2 size doesn't really save much size in the HDS/Ra flashlights :eek:
That's pretty cool, but since dreaming is a constant state here, I was imagining a fully downsized Clicky, much like the Aeon sizing mentioned below.

I'm wishing for a light about the size of the Aeon with a clicky. I know it would have to be a little longer (maybe) but no bigger around.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably.

Single cr123a is already too stubby a form factor for me, but I hope enough keychain carriers keep choosing them, because I just like seeing cr2 options around for some reason.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought some more about my poor post. Not only did I generalize, which is always a mistake, but I dissed AAA lights. And what does better mean? Also, I am a big fan of AAA lights, especially ones with the the new emitters. So last night I took out 2 CR2 lights with comparable AAA lights.

Nitecore Sens Mini Cr2 and Fenix E05 SS 2014, DQG AAA and DQG AAA clicky. They all have a TIR type optic. All have nice floody beams. The CR2 has a slightly broader beam with more output.

Foursevens Mini MLR2 and a bunch of AAA lights (running on both li-ion 10440 and Eneloops). Reflector lights. Generally the AAA lights are more floody. Smaller hotspot and gradual transition to spill. The MLR2 has a bigger hot spot and less transition to spill. On H, the MLR2 has more punch than the AAA lights I played with. I didn't play with my more throwy AAA lights like the Microstream or Tank007 E09 so this just another generalization.

But the bigger circumference of the CR2 can be put to good use. Note that both of these CR2 lights are twisties and don't have the best Uis. Also, I didn't bring my Task Light II out to play.

My post was poor. But there is a reason I like CR2 lights.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

HDS CR2 Clicky - now that has a nice ring to it!

A clicky CR2 really would be the ideal key chain light IMO. The problem with adding a clicky switch is that it tends to make lights much longer than what might be desirable in a CR2. I would love to see Zebralight do a CR2 light; something along the lines of a miniaturized SC32. In neutral please.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
A clicky CR2 really would be the ideal key chain light IMO. The problem with adding a clicky switch is that it tends to make lights much longer than what might be desirable in a CR2. I would love to see Zebralight do a CR2 light; something along the lines of a miniaturized SC32. In neutral please.
Would be incredible to see a CR2 Clicky actually downsized to minimize the dimensions, and although I doubt we'll see one I'll still hope for it anyway!

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be incredible to see a CR2 Clicky actually downsized to minimize the dimensions, and although I doubt we'll see one I'll still hope for it anyway!

Well, I would agree, a Zebralight CR2 will probably never ever happen. It's just a nice pipedream. I've been waiting for the XM-L2 SC32w since forever and even thought they've been promising such a beast for a very long time it still hasn't happened. Still, they claim it is pending soon (again), so we may yet see one.