Are expensive 18650 worth the $$?

sspc

Newly Enlightened
AW batteries are the way to go - as you will see from most commentators here. I also use Redilast 18650-3100 which are remarkably 'even' both when charged and discharged - almost uncanny how all three of them used in my TrustFire X6 discharge to within 0.1 - 0.2v of each other.
I haven't seen any commentary that suggests the price difference between 3100 mah AW/Redilast/Callie Customs is warranted when compared to Panasonic based 18650 3100 mah batts by Eagletac/Intl-Outdoor/Keeppower/Orbtronic.
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Shadowww

Banned
I haven't seen any commentary that suggests the price difference between 3100 mah AW/Redilast/Callie Customs is warranted when compared to Panasonic based 18650 3100 mah batts by Eagletac/Intl-Outdoor/Keeppower/Orbtronic.

Same applies to 2600mAh batteries btw (AW 2600mAh = $15 for single battery, Xtar 2600mAh = $13.5 for two of them).
4a173c.png

Norm

Retired Administrator
I think the title should be "Are quality 18650 worth the $$? " as I don't really consider these cells to be expensive.

Norm

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF has such a wide range of cultures and budgets, that for some members flashlights are a hobby to indulge in whenever they please; for other members, it is a real luxury, a treat. As such, it is likely that what is expensive for one member, with one occupation and at one stage of one's life, is barely noticed for another member, in a different occupation, at a different stage of one's life.

Words such as "quality" and "expensive" are qualified by the financial circumstances and individual material valuations surrounding the member inquiring.

That said, I respectfully suggest to the original poster that he look for the maker of the OEM cell, such as Panasonic or Sanyo, rather than the label of the dealer who sells it. If you go that route, perhaps you can find the best balance between "quality" and "expensive" that most fully meets your needs, or stated plainly, does not bust your budget. :)

Last edited:

Erzengel

Enlightened
It is more important to chose the right battery for the job. If Your light draws 4.2 Amps, You should chose a light with a very high and flat voltage curve, like IMRs or the high discharge cells with 2250 mAh. They will give You more runtime than a 3100mAh on higher currents.

Shadowww

Banned
It is more important to chose the right battery for the job. If Your light draws 4.2 Amps, You should chose a light with a very high and flat voltage curve, like IMRs or the high discharge cells with 2250 mAh. They will give You more runtime than a 3100mAh on higher currents.

Not necessarily, for 5A and lower (so including 4.2A), LG D1 3000mAh are better than IMR's and 2250mAh hybrids, in fact they're the best :Р.

d69295.png

e3a9f9.png

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
CPF has such a wide range of cultures and budgets, that for some members flashlights are a hobby to indulge in whenever they please; for other members, it is a real luxury, a treat. As such, it is likely that what is expensive for one member, with one occupation and at one stage of one's life, is barely noticed for another member, in a different occupation, at a different stage of one's life.

Words such as "quality" and "expensive" are qualified by the financial circumstances and individual material valuations surrounding the member inquiring.

That said, I respectfully suggest to the original poster that he look for the maker of the OEM cell, such as Panasonic or Sanyo, rather than the label of the dealer who sells it. If you go that route, perhaps you can find the best balance between "quality" and "expensive" that most fully meets your needs, or stated plainly, does not bust your budget. :)

Batteries are the relative inexpensive part of the equation. Unlike using cheap gas (please, no comments about knocking, etc), using a cheap battery higher possible disastrous consequences... And of course usually lower performance.

Buy right, buy once if it's an highly used light. If it's a show off light every once in a blue moon, grab a red/black label TrustFire.

Think of it this way, if you had to hand a light a loved one using 18650, which would you choose?

Not knowin better , I equipped my wife with a fleet of gray UltraFires many years ago. Fast forward a year back and being more informed, replaced them all with AW/XTAR. Her's is tactical usage so any safety concerns must be minimized.

On that note, I wouldn't trust any lithium with my oldest son so he gets AA lights (old Fenix LDs) for now (3 year old :) )