Are headlamps underrated for EDC?

mhanlen

Enlightened
Personally I've been carrying my SG5 a lot lately. To be honest though it isn't the most ideal of lights. I always thought the right angle nature of the lights would lend themselves to carrying better, but now having used one I see that they are a little awkward to use as a standard hand held flashlight. Now if you clip it on your shirt or in a front pocket, it's utility can't be beat for hands free operation in a dark area. But for most of the flashlight use I do on a daily basis (hand held), a nice small standard flashlight works best for me.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix HL10 makes a great EDC headlamp.

For me 90% of my lighting needs are met by headlamps. Most of the time I need both hands free.

TheDudeAbides

Newly Enlightened
Hey dude, I can't remember what the stuff is called that most folks around here use, but I used to use tape then I noticed the diffuser material on the sticky part of "post-it" flags (you know the flags where some are green, some are red, or blue, etc). I traced around the head of each of my zebralights and then cut out pieces for each light (had to trim them a bit, but got em right.) I like the post-it material better than tape cus its a little thicker, has good adhesive, and diffuses great. One of my zebra's has been wearing this stuff for over 2 years, and it hasn't come off yet. Also, I couldn't tell much difference between my H51 with this diffuser film and a zebralight H51f, so I'm stickin with my method.

I don't think you'd wanna wrap the whole head with diffuser material...be kind of junky. When I go on a camping/hunting trips with the diffuser material on the light, I just leave it on. I always have another light or two & at least one will be throwy.

And, yes the Glock G29 is a "man's choice of Glock for the backcountry!" Loaded up with Underwood full power heavy ammo....a true pocket freight train!

Hey thanks, Outdoorsman5 and markr6! That settles it, my next headlamp will be a standard beam with diffuser. I may never take the diffuser off, but I'll be glad to know I can if the need arises.

I'm slowly becoming more of a headlamp edc'er...

weez82

Enlightened
I never found the need to carry a headband everywhere I go. Just too bulky for EDC. I prefer a single cell light thats pocketable like the MiNi123. I do however have the Fenix headband for when I know Im going to need a headlamp and I just turn my EDC into a headlamp and Im good to go :). But no, I dont have the need to EDC the headband. I think too many people on forums forget what EDC stands for. Every Day Carry. Something that will be carried at all times wherever you go. You do an EDC check on me anywhere outside of my home and I'll have my MiNi123 on me

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
not to worry the H32 and H302 are FINALLY arriving in October. Well, at least the neutral ones are, and I am guessing 2 months afterwards are the cool white models.

My EDC is a Zebralight H31 (small & compact; now discontinued).

hurricane

Newly Enlightened
Yes. I own several high-end flashlights, but it's my headlamps that get the most use. I use them constantly: running, camping, skiing, hiking, taking the garbage out, fixing the car - whatever. Fact is, we have two hands/arm and when we use a flashlight, we're automatically down to one hand/arm.

3Cylinders

Newly Enlightened
I would likely EDC a Zebralight headlamp if they made a quick connect/disconnect from the headband allowing it to be used as a flashlight when not needed as a headlamp. Maybe something with magnets so it can be quickly attached or removed. I wouldn't use it as a headlamp enough to leave it on the headband, but would like to have the option.

bonbonbin_

Newly Enlightened
Headlamp is more better for camping, hiking. but people use hands more easy than others.

bonbonbin_

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks, Outdoorsman5 and markr6! That settles it, my next headlamp will be a standard beam with diffuser. I may never take the diffuser off, but I'll be glad to know I can if the need arises.

I'm slowly becoming more of a headlamp edc'er...

Will you post your nice photo of headlamps?

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I respectfully disagree. Without a headband or other holder, there is no advantage to a headlamp over a flashlight; the headlamp, with its beam emitting from the side, is awkward to hold and aim. A hand-held flashlight is better designed for that purpose.
Thats a matter of opinion. I think 90º is more natural to hold in ones hand. Depends if you let your arm straight down at your side or bend at the elbow and hold it infront of you. Think of how a handgun is 90º. Thats how I typically hold my light, like a hammer, with my wrist in a natural position. To hold a standard flashlight like my QuarkX AA2, I either go overhand which is quite tiring to hold ones hand up high, or underhand - and have to bend at my wrist. So for me, 90º works well for everything.:thumbsup:

I would likely EDC a Zebralight headlamp if they made a quick connect/disconnect from the headband allowing it to be used as a flashlight when not needed as a headlamp. Maybe something with magnets so it can be quickly attached or removed. I wouldn't use it as a headlamp enough to leave it on the headband, but would like to have the option.
Have you tried the nite ize headband? It just slides in and out really easy, no fiddling getting it into the silicone loops. I use that primarily just because its much easier to put in and take out (I use my headlamps more as handhelds, but still regularly using them as headlamps too, back and forth).

Last edited:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
d-c-fix is a great diffuser to use on your lights. I have it on my H51w and H600w. Still a nice [wider] hotspot with more spill. Search for Phazerburn's diffusion film - he sells small sheets of d-c-fix which is great since you wont need a huge roll.

I don't think it's something I would want to remove though, unless it was absolutely necessary. It will lose its "stickiness" after a few times too

I've been meaning to try this stuff ever since I got my H51w but just got used to the hotspot. And just made the decision to get the new H52 and H600 both in thier standard form too and think I'd like to finally get a hold of some of it. I could find Phaserburn's thread but did find its a 's' not a 'z' just incase anyone else is looking. But the stuff is ~$10 on amazon and free s/h so I'll probably just do that. Most people want to use paypal anyhow which I refuse to use. But my question is, it seems there are multiple patterns available, which is the best as a diffuser? Looks like pearl, moire, sand, and optics patterns are commonly available.

markr6

Flashaholic
DIΩDΣ;4293758 said:
I've been meaning to try this stuff ever since I got my H51w but just got used to the hotspot. And just made the decision to get the new H52 and H600 both in thier standard form too and think I'd like to finally get a hold of some of it. I could find Phaserburn's thread but did find its a 's' not a 'z' just incase anyone else is looking. But the stuff is ~$10 on amazon and free s/h so I'll probably just do that. Most people want to use paypal anyhow which I refuse to use. But my question is, it seems there are multiple patterns available, which is the best as a diffuser? Looks like pearl, moire, sand, and optics patterns are commonly available.

I'm not sure but the stuff I got from Phaserburn has a sandpaper-type texture, so I'm guessing sand. It really is a perfect compromise between throw and flood IMO.