Are LED's Safe for my toddler's flashlights?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
What ever you do never give your toddler a bright lithium flashlight. Please! Something like a G2 is way to bright and if you don't do something to make sure your little one cant get the battery out you could be in trouble.First they could put the battery in there mouth or it might find its way in to the toilet. lithiums don't like water.My twins get low power led lights with tread lock on the battery compartment so they cant get them out Oh and go with AA batteries, trust me

Spalding

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised that there's so much worry about the dangers flashlights pose to kids. Perhaps that's the way now but I have a question - If flashlights put out eyes then how will you protect a child from the sun? What if he looks at it?

Perhaps a helmet (you can't be too safe) with integrated welding goggles?

kilgor

Enlightened
I'm surprised that there's so much worry about the dangers flashlights pose to kids. Perhaps that's the way now but I have a question - If flashlights put out eyes then how will you protect a child from the sun? What if he looks at it?

Perhaps a helmet (you can't be too safe) with integrated welding goggles?

Nope, I'll just get a tinted bubble for him to live in instead of a clear one. :D

greenLED

Flashaholic
Remember all the flashlight explosion reports? Overdischarge causes 123 cells to "vent with flame". Lithium primaries and li-ion cells pack a lot of energy, and they can be dangerous if not properly handled. That is my primary concern.

By now I now have no problem handing a Fenix T1 onto our toddler, but I keep a close eye on what they're up to. When he was younger, however, the only light I'd give them would be "dimmer" LED lights.

I'm with Xe54 on showing little kids how to properly handle flashlights like any other tool we commonly use at home. Ultimately, it's up to the parents to decide whether their kids are ready for whatever. However, as a fellow parent I also feel a bit of responsibility to warn others about the potential dangers of high-powered lights.

Toodles! :wave:

Xe54

Enlightened
Remember all the flashlight explosion reports? Overdischarge causes 123 cells to "vent with flame". Lithium primaries and li-ion cells pack a lot of energy, and they can be dangerous if not properly handled. That is my primary concern.

Lithium also worries me. Hech, I had a hard time deciding whether to put a 1.5V Li Energizer in my wife's purse L1S just for fear of the remote possibility that it might pop. Ultimately in that case I decided in favor of maximum lifetime vs. the risk, which is probably smaller for a single cell than for two where one can get reverse voltage (though I expect if the cell voltage collapses and reverses, it doesn't have much Li left anyhow).

By now I now have no problem handing a Fenix T1 onto our toddler, but I keep a close eye on what they're up to. When he was younger, however, the only light I'd give them would be "dimmer" LED lights.

I'm with Xe54 on showing little kids how to properly handle flashlights like any other tool we commonly use at home. Ultimately, it's up to the parents to decide whether their kids are ready for whatever. However, as a fellow parent I also feel a bit of responsibility to warn others about the potential dangers of high-powered lights.
Toodles! :wave:

Well we have at least two Li-powered lights within her reach (the utility/standby lights for the hall and living room), but she is taught that they are "dada's". So she doesn't seem to have a habit of playing with those. I don't mind letting her have L1P/L1S with a NiMH of high quality (Eneloop/Sanyo) in terms of battery safety. I stay away from anything but high quality NiMH and CR123 in general.