Are there open source flashlight UIs?

Bambuino

Newly Enlightened
Was browsing the recent "..favorite UI" thread on this sub-forum and thought to ask following in new thread.

With advent of more lights having USB ports for charging, are there any lights where firmware/UI can be updated/changed by the user via same port?

TIA, M.

Bambuino

Newly Enlightened
Okeydoke. Checked Hexbright at github for a looksee. Satisfies my curiosity. Looks like this idea never really took off. Too bad.

Last edited:

Bambuino

Newly Enlightened
Anduril is open source but not uploaded via USB. It's programmed via pins in the heads of most recent Anduril lights.
Ok got it now. Found this on the Noctigon Emisar site, a USB FTDI dongle and the pin jig. I get it now. I prolly going look at one of these lights running Anduril.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Do you have to hold the pogo pins in place while loading new firmware, or does it stay in place and in contact with the pads without holding it?

Bambuino

Newly Enlightened
Looks like pointy pogos, and springs in case hand wobbles while flashing. I guess other hand hits the enter key, then crosses fingers.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The HexBright weren't very reliable. It was a kick start idea that never really met the demands of a market that was pretty small to start with. And from what folks told me the light itself wasn't very sturdy.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The HexBright weren't very reliable. It was a kick start idea that never really met the demands of a market that was pretty small to start with. And from what folks told me the light itself wasn't very sturdy.
I still have a Hexbright. It's been sitting in it's box for ages. I was always planning onbuilding in a 'sp[ecial' strobe mode for some testing, but never got around to it.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anduril is open source but not uploaded via USB. It's programmed via pins in the heads of most recent Anduril lights.
With so many of the Anduril lights having USB charging ports, I wonder why they don't use them for programming?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
With so many of the Anduril lights having USB charging ports, I wonder why they don't use them for programming?
As I understand it, USB charging is simple to implement as evidenced by thousands of devices that don't even have microcontrollers (or seemingly even ICs) utilizing it. USB communications likely requires chips more complex than the extremely modest microcontrollers running Anduril.

Latest posts