Are you able to find top LED flashlight brands in stores near you(except Surefire)?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
The local camping shop has some JetBeam at exorbitant prices, as well as overpriced 18650s and chargers.

Norm

What, are they jacking the prices up above the standard retail(MSRP) prices seen at pretty much every online store? That stinks...

It would be nice to be able to go out to a store somewhere that isnt 600 miles away and be able to physically handle each light to see how it feels, and maybe they could set out a "floor" model with batteries in it, so you can compare modes, brightness, etc. I wont hold my breath......

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an REI close by and they have a decent amount of good lights. Surefire, Fenix, and all kinds of head lamps. Priced reasonably too.

We have an Eastern Mountain Sports nearby, and they have nice camping/backpacking stuff that I can go look at, then go back home and buy the same stuff I just looked at at a major discount online, but they dont have much in the way of lights, aside from Petzl and Princeton Tec and Innova(which I just heard of 5 minutes ago for the first time!)

harro

Enlightened
What, are they jacking the prices up above the standard retail(MSRP) prices seen at pretty much every online store? That stinks...

It would be nice to be able to go out to a store somewhere that isnt 600 miles away and be able to physically handle each light to see how it feels, and maybe they could set out a "floor" model with batteries in it, so you can compare modes, brightness, etc. I wont hold my breath......

Yeah, the O/L stores are all competitive, but the few you see in shops are horrendously overpriced.

fredzoyt

Newly Enlightened
Other than Surefires at some gun shops, and maglites at Home Depot and a few other spots, there's nowhere around me that sells things like Nite Core, Fenix, etc...
Gotta go online to find stuff, which can be a bummer because I can't hold them in my hand first.

Dave

Norm

Retired Administrator
There seems to be one thing missing in some of the posts in this thread, some respondents don't have their location in their details and haven't mentioned it in their post. :thinking:

Norm

Norm

Retired Administrator
Try searching for Surfire lights at an Australian store if the price is less than double the U.S. price you've done well.

Norm

Quiksilver

Enlightened
There's a store near me that sells Fenix, PrincetonTec, Inova, and SureFire, among others ...

Great folks there too. The SF E1B was list price $192 on their website, I got it in-store for $140.

Brisse

Newly Enlightened
thinking.gif
Are you able to find top LED flashlight brands in stores near you(except Surefire)?

No. Not even Surefire. I live in Sweden.
Maglites and LedLensers are easy to find but I don't consider them "top brands".
I order most flashlight stuff from Germany.

Teobaldo

Newly Enlightened
In Chile is almost impossible to find in the commerce good brands of flashlights. The only store is Casa Royal, that sells electronic articles, but the prices of their XXXFire are scandalous (is cheaper to buy on line).

Fortunately is the official distributor of Fenix and, in the commerce on line and some smaller stores, they appear other brands.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tell me about it! I was in Perth last year and was shocked to see the prices of Olights in a "surplus" shop. :eek:
Let me guess, a "surplus" shop on Wellington st in the city, just up the road from the train station ?

If so its the same one I was talking about.

Before I knew better I got my 6P (first surefire) and my U2 there

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try searching for Surfire lights at an Australian store if the price is less than double the U.S. price you've done well.

Norm

Then those stores are really making a killing, because obviously the dollar is near an all time low, so anything made in the USA should be fairly cheap, once you consider the exchange rate. If they are doubling the price, then they are probably making triple what SF dealers in America are making on those lights.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Where are you guys from that have stores that sell klarus and foursevens? I'm from Minnesota and besides Surefire's outside of REI there isn't crap, Home Depot has absolutly nothing worth looking at except mags and they don't even have current ones just old stuff.

REI is also the only place that sells eneloops and only have Surefire and Fenix flashlights and know nothing about them.

Another trend I have seen is that places selling Surefire's still haven't dropped there prices they want like over $120 for a G2X or a 6PX so idk how they expect to sell anything.

ganymede

Enlightened
Let me guess, a "surplus" shop on Wellington st in the city, just up the road from the train station ?

If so its the same one I was talking about.

Before I knew better I got my 6P (first surefire) and my U2 there

Yupe! That's the shop! I didn't see any Surefires when I was there though.

I will be going to Perth soon and will check them out again.

headers

Newly Enlightened
In the NNJ/NYC area there are some available. REI and Campmor are always handy if you have a car. No Cabelas near here. There used to be a really nice LEO/hunting supplies place 5 miles from me but it has gone now.

On the bright side (pun intended?), B&H photo near Penn Station in NYC has a nice selection to play with and you don't need a car. Some fenix, surefire, led lenser and a bunch of others,

Here is their web page for such lights
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Weapon-Tactical-Lights/ci/15067/N/4100994450

If you go into the store they do not have all of these on display but they have enough to play with and a guy to show them to you and maybe pull more from a warehouse. Hence, if you pass through NYC it is worth a visit even if you are not into camera stuff. Next time I am there I will see if I can take a good pic of the cabinets to give people an idea of the selection. I took my foreign Ph.D. student intern there and he played with a bunch and went home with two nice LED lights, one for EDC and one for his parents ranch. B&H closed Friday lunch through Saturday and all Jewish holidays, look this up before you go!

J&R downtown likes to be seen as the alternative/competitor to B&H but their selection and service are generally inferior. If you really need a light now and it is a Jewish holiday then maybe pay them a visit.

S

Last edited:

yliu

Enlightened
Here (see location), LedLensers, Maglites and Varta lights are widely available in almost any electronic store.

There are a few smaller shops or home run sellers that carry Olight, Fenix, Niteye, Sunwayman, Jetbeam and other known LED brands among flashlight enthusiasts. And do stock some of those lights at their shop.

Brands like Surefire, Foursevens, HDS Systems are not available or extremely rare.

With surefires, it's mostly their old lights, lot of incan selling at MRSP + import, tax and all that fun stuff. In the end it ends up about double the price compared to the US and the models are outdated. (I guess no one is buying them because of the price, so retailers are not buying the newer models)

The 6PX here sells for about 180USD equivalent :faint:

It would be awesome if stores could carry premium LED brands. That would probably also wake LedLenser up, and force them to upgrade their lights or go out of business.

It's just amazing how they can still sell the P17 while Maglite is catching up with the LED 3D for almost 1/4 of the price.

Last edited:

Drudge

Newly Enlightened
Between Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop and REI I have some options when it comes to checking out flashlights.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
Nope. Everyone thinks LED Lenser is tha shite around here. Even the local gun shops don't stock much else.

After reading all of the posts, it occurred to me to put some of the comments lamenting the dearth of retail shops offering high-quality lighting tools into perspective.

First, the numbers. As of 8.22.2012, there are 142,863 registered members of CPF. If we include a few thousand additional lurkers worldwide, we can round that number up to 145,000, or maybe even 150,000. Worldwide.

The registry however also reports there are only 5,639 ACTIVE members. If I understand this number correctly, this means that there are less than 6,000 of us flashlight geeks around the world who actively participate in this forum. Let's also assume that this number under-counts buyers of quality lights that rarely post, and assume that the number of active flashlight geeks worldwide is about 10,000.

Now, before anybody starts to challenge the numbers, please remember that these statistics are only intended to put into perspective the complaints about a lack of quality lights at retail.

If we assume these numbers are more or less correct, an active population of only 10,000 or so customers worldwide is enough to operate an online business, but I doubt the physical distribution of the membership (with posts in this thread from the UK, Australia, Hungary, Sweden, the US, Chile, Germany, and Texas (some of you will get this inside joke)...will be enough to justify shelf space for high quality (and expensive) lights to a brick & mortar retailer.

So, may I respectfully suggest that rather than complain to the retailer about the limited selection being offered, that we collectively -- each and every one of us -- encourage our local retailers to start carrying better brands and lines? We can start with lights that are not too expensive, but that are better than what's presently on offer. Who knows, over time, the lights available at retail just might start to get better.