Are your old Eneloops still going strong? - a survey.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have 2 remaining of the 8 from our '06 Japan trip. Those two come in at 1,600-1,700. The 09's are ranging 1,700-just shy of 1,900. Would have been nice to had more of the 06 in use I recollect they came in "high" on the C9000 so they were recycled.

edit Found 2 more and cycled them, both came in at 184X.

Last edited:

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always use them in low-drain stuff, like remote controls or low-output LEDs. As long as the self-discharge rate is slow, they work really well in low-drain devices, where higher IR doesn't matter.

Hi,

Yes i was going to say that but forgot :)

Thanks for the update.
I guess i have enough Eneloop cells now that i dont have to worry about a few being discarded. It wasnt always like that, but i bought a couple packs of them so i have enough for my basic needs now. I use them every day in a few different applications like powered headphones and flashlights.
I dont have that many AAA size yet though.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess i have enough Eneloop cells now that i dont have to worry about a few being discarded. It wasnt always like that, but i bought a couple packs of them so i have enough for my basic needs now. I use them every day in a few different applications like powered headphones and flashlights.
I dont have that many AAA size yet though.

My evidence is only anecdotal, but I find the AA have greater longevity than the AAA Eneloops. The AAA internal resistance seems to increase faster than AA, and will eventually prevent them from charging in some smart chargers.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My evidence is only anecdotal, but I find the AA have greater longevity than the AAA Eneloops. The AAA internal resistance seems to increase faster than AA, and will eventually prevent them from charging in some smart chargers.

Hi,

Very interesting. I knew they were lower capacity of course but didnt think about the other aspects yet.
I am now wondering how well they would work in a sort of high drain application like one of my newest flashlights that uses four AAA cells. I would really like to use rechargeable batteries in that.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Very interesting. I knew they were lower capacity of course but didnt think about the other aspects yet.
I am now wondering how well they would work in a sort of high drain application like one of my newest flashlights that uses four AAA cells. I would really like to use rechargeable batteries in that.

They'll handle 2-3 amps just fine. Very useful for modestly high-drain apps. In a 4xAAA light, they should be able to sustain 500 lumens quite easily, probably close to 1000 lumens at least for a little while.

jykelly

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Newbie here. I bought some AAs in 2010 and AAAs in 2011. Still in regular use but they haven't been pushed much. AA got used in Guitar Hero peripherals originally so we're being recharged often but after that they've been mainly used in toys and my multimeter. AAAs are in remote controls and triple battery flashlights. Don't have a light meter but the AAAs still put out a decent amount of light in various XML T6 lights. Runtime is about 75% of what they did at the beginning.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I've got a 4-pack of new-in-package AAA's from 2006; in 2026 I will send them to someone for battery analysis.
Rest assured, we will post the info on CPF. :)