ARGH: Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 + Detonator + G&P Tailcap + Chop KL3 Head!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: ARGH: Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 + Detonator + G&P Tailcap + Chop KL3 H

I too am in the camp of "I won't stop doing it, but have a new respect for it"

I will always match flash amps before putting the batteries in the light.

And I occasionally reverse the cells, or in the case of three 123 reverse the first and last battery.

And in the lights I have the use 123, either a pretty solid clickie such as M*g or push/twist such as SF. Meaning accidental activation is much less likely.

In addition, since I don't use the heck out of 123 lights, and I have most of a box of 50 Battery Station 123s... those shall be all I use for a while.

And I'll NEVER EVER buy Amondotech cells based on what I've read!!!

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ARGH: Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 + Detonator + G&P Tailcap + Chop KL3 H

I'm more than willing to throw some $ NewBie's way to test Surefire cells and other manufacturer cells once his testing platform is complete. I want to find out if the issue is common across all cell manufacturers, and if so, why; and if not, why.

McGizmo has made a few great points (no surprise). Once the reaction begins, can it be stopped? Another question: is it possible for a light to draw more energy from one or two cells in a multi-cell light? For example, could there be more "resistance" in one cell or could a flashlight head draw an inordinate amount of energy from the cell closest to it?

Just how stable or unstable are 123 cells? I'm not ready to toss 123 lights to the wind yet, but a better understanding of the causes of explosive venting and the potential short-term and long-term health effects would be a great goal. Right now I see that yes, cells from a few manufacturers are venting due to mismatching. Let's test Amondotech's "matched" sticks to see if they are truly matched (I bet they are). If so, this may be a great solution for other manufacturers to mimic.

mahoney

Enlightened

Re: Amondotech's matched "sticks"

I have cut a few of these apart and tested them, because the "single" batteries from the same order registered in a wide distribution from 20% to 100% on the ZTS tester, so I got curious...while a sample of 3 is not statisticly significant, there was a 20% to 40% difference between the tested capicities in each case. I would want to test a larger sample and see much less variance in tested capacity before I would trust these. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wayne @ Amondotech and I exchanged emails- he received the damaged KL3 head and the vented cells and is sending them to his Engineering team. Once I receive the ZTS tester I'll test all of my remaining cells.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast

mahoney said:
Re: Amondotech's matched "sticks"

I have cut a few of these apart and tested them, because the "single" batteries from the same order registered in a wide distribution from 20% to 100% on the ZTS tester, so I got curious...while a sample of 3 is not statisticly significant, there was a 20% to 40% difference between the tested capicities in each case. I would want to test a larger sample and see much less variance in tested capacity before I would trust these. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Thanks mahoney,

When I get the ZTS tester I'm going to try the same test. I'm hoping the "matched" cell sticks are exactly that. If so this would be a great solution for those of us with multiple-cell lights.

I'll keep everyone posted as I get updates.

cy

Flashaholic

ZTS tester is far from perfect...

but until someone comes up with a better tester. ZTS is the best that's available.

purchased mine for $69 + shipping aprox one year ago. gripped about the price, but have never regretted purchasing...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: ARGH: Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 + Detonator + G&P Tailcap + Chop KL3 Head!

Checking Flash amps with a cheapy multimeter ain't the best solution either, but it's good enough for me at this time.

I had two cells just sitting here on my desk. One FA at 3.4ish, the other at 2.6ish. I'll not be putting those in any two cell light together!

I still believe after ALL the :poof: threads that if we use reasonable precautions, primary 123 lights are plenty safe.

*Retired*

Chronos said:
I decided to disassemble the light. The cell at the top of the light (behind the LED head) is the one that ignited. The plastic wrapper on the 2x123 stick is melted and deformed, but the cells appear to be intact. The single cell is melted and appears to have exploded and ignited (pics below). I was able to carefully cleanse the M2 body and detonator; the residue washed out easily (some melted plastic remained behind but I was able to pursuade it to move on) so those parts can be salvaged. I don't know about the head; with the heat and fumes it must be ruined. The tailcap is shot too. So far I'm out a custom-modded Chop KL3 and a G&P tailcap. Grrrrr.

The cells, detritus, and tailcap are now secured in a ziplock baggie in my ammo can. If anyone wants to anaylze them please let me know (hint, hint Amondotech...)

Grrr.

Curious, do you have any idea when you bought these?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast

I placed the order on: June 3, 2006

Interesting note: I had a few untouched 2x123 sticks remaining in my battery case. I broke them apart and found a few that had non-matched cells: the top would test at 40% to 60% while the bottom cell tested at 100%

Hmmm...