Armytek Dobermann

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi! Sorry for such a delay in replying.
Thank you for describing the problem. I have sent information to our technical manager. We guess that the equipment you use is not suitable in a good way for lumens` measurements. Lumens can be measured by special spheres, not by multimeters.

A47_ED49_E3368_EFBC4_B24641_FA7_EC7_D373_AAA33_B50_D0_C8_BD.png

But I understand your dissatisfaction. And if you think that the light doesn`t work in a good way - you can always contact [email protected].

Armytek,

My light is dimmer than I remember the previous 2.
So I did a ceiling bounce test to compare it to 2 other lights of known lumen output. The comparison suggests my DP is putting out no more than 800 lumens.

Then, I took lux meter measurements. Again, the DP put out almost the same lux as my 5000K P60 dropin with XPL HI U5, in a smooth reflector, driven at 3.04A, rated at around 20,000 CD.

Still unconvinced, I tested both lights outside, in the dark, and saw no difference between their throw distance.

One final test, I took tail end current measurements with my DMM and my DP registered no more than 2A, compared to the 3.04A of the dropin.

All these observations support my conclusion that my light is underperforming. And please don't suggest it might be the batteries or their protection circuit. I'm using unprotected Panasonic "GA" cells with 10A continuous draw rating. I tested with 4 of them and 2 protected GA cells, and several cells of other brands. All produced the same results.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Here's a review on TLF documenting how the DP substantially underperforms in actual OTF output and throw: http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/armytek-dobermann-pro-xp-l-hi-test-review.44884/

I recently notice that some AT samples have serial numbers. My first 2 that eventually died did not, and my current underperformer also doesn't.
Perhaps the ones with S/Ns are the good ones?

36000 actual vs 50000. Then again the actual number is still impressive all things considered. I see they also believe it's 800 lumens however does the run times reflect the reduced output to show it is operating with efficiency. Personally I would see 800 lumen high if I got the runtime to match. If these are the issues I might just get one. Not sure.

Woods Walker

Also what about this. If I am reading this right that's a BIG pro as staying power to me matters more.

The other lamps have then lost considerable brightness. All lamps were then under the measured value of the Doberman. The TX25, MH20 and the PD35 were scarce 5-10 percent of the Doberman. The G25 and DX30 were even 20 percent under it. Through these measurements me the Doberman convinced. Thanks to the good control has also half full battery maximum performance. Greeting Andreas

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also what about this. If I am reading this right that's a BIG pro as staying power to me matters more.

The other lamps have then lost considerable brightness. All lamps were then under the measured value of the Doberman. The TX25, MH20 and the PD35 were scarce 5-10 percent of the Doberman. The G25 and DX30 were even 20 percent under it. Through these measurements me the Doberman convinced. Thanks to the good control has also half full battery maximum performance. Greeting Andreas

Some if not all of the other lights have higher initial output than the Dobermann, so it's not obvious whether their eventual reduction in output is attributed to that or less driver efficiency. But if you can see just as well with 800 lumens instead of 1,000 lumens, then it makes sense to go with 800 lumens for slightly longer runtimes. But if it's the throw you're after, then that 800 lumen clearly has compromised it.

Woods Walker

Some if not all of the other lights have higher initial output than the Dobermann, so it's not obvious whether their eventual reduction in output is attributed to that or less driver efficiency. But if you can see just as well with 800 lumens instead of 1,000 lumens, then it makes sense to go with 800 lumens for slightly longer runtimes. But if it's the throw you're after, then that 800 lumen clearly has compromised it.

If they promised 1200 then delivered 800 you won't get an argument from me as to the validity of your complaint.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now have two Dobermann Pro's. One cool white the other warm. Both have amazing output and range. I do not have any tools to measure but use my TK32 as a yard stick to eyeball throw. Both of my Dobermann Pro's match the throw of the TK32 they even beat it by a bit. I really wish AT would update their manuals as now all their lights have new firmware. Getting into and out of strobe modes(there are 2 strobes) you have to quickly loosen and tighten the head TEN times!!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Armyteks I really do. I now have NINE!! All bought in the last 4 months. All came with either no manual at all or they came with manuals for different versions of that model light. I scored a perfect new old stock V2.5 Predator Pro XPG2 and the manual that came with that was also the wrong one. Had to find the proper info online. Step it up AT this is very basic stuff.

ArmyTek

Enlightened
I love my Armyteks I really do. I now have NINE!! All bought in the last 4 months. All came with either no manual at all or they came with manuals for different versions of that model light. I scored a perfect new old stock V2.5 Predator Pro XPG2 and the manual that came with that was also the wrong one. Had to find the proper info online. Step it up AT this is very basic stuff.

Thank you for your feedback! We will solve the problem with manuals in the near future. All updated manuals will be added at the web-site and will come with your packages.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek,

The light is supposed to have battery over-discharge protection. At what voltage does the light shutoff to protect the battery?
My light drained my unprotected cell down to 2.84V and still didn't shut off.

ArmyTek

Enlightened
Armytek,

The light is supposed to have battery over-discharge protection. At what voltage does the light shutoff to protect the battery?
My light drained my unprotected cell down to 2.84V and still didn't shut off.

All our flashlights turn off when the battery voltage is 2.7V. When the voltage is 2.8 V, the flashlights drop to Firefly and they can work on Firefly for a long time
because the current consumption is relatively small there.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
right on right on. Have 2 Dobermann Pro's in cool and warm white. Love em! That is an awfully low cut off voltage but I guess I can see the firefly point.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are the tints on the CW XP-L Doberman? I have no CW AT lights and thinking about a change.

My Doberman Pro with XPL HI "White" sample is pure white. No blue. CRI to eyes is quite good for CW.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
WW, though pure white, my sample is still definitely CW, and definitely NOT 5000K. I suggest to expect 5500k and UP, so you won't be disappointed if it's too cool for you.

Woods Walker

WW, though pure white, my sample is still definitely CW, and definitely NOT 5000K. I suggest to expect 5500k and UP, so you won't be disappointed if it's too cool for you.

Thanks brother. What the difference between the Pro and Standard Doberman. Anyone own both or know? I actually prefer the standard Prime and upon retrospect the same would have applied to the Tiara.