ArmyTek Predator Review- Smooth reflector with Orange Peel!!!

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
I could do this for you, but you'd have to give me the weekend because I only own one Predator and I'd have to swap out the reflectors and whatnot. If Firelord can't help you, I'll give it a go.

That would be really great Cheapsteal, thanks for your time. And Firelord, thanks for your comments on the beams, they also help a great deal.

I tend to walk at night in backcountry, so from what I've seen and heard it will likely be the OP version that gets snapped up. But outdoor beamshots will be immensely helpful to nail my decision :)

Thanks guys!

firelord777

Enlightened
Great, glad it helped a bit. As for you living in the country, I really believe you should go with the OP version. Very good throw, after some more testing at around 50 meters aiming at a forest treeline, the op version lighted up everything. To be honest it felt like i had a mini hid floodlight lol.

Good luck my friend, firelord777

aimxplode

Enlightened
Great, glad it helped a bit. As for you living in the country, I really believe you should go with the OP version. Very good throw, after some more testing at around 50 meters aiming at a forest treeline, the op version lighted up everything. To be honest it felt like i had a mini hid floodlight lol.

Good luck my friend, firelord777

Hows the spill on the smooth reflector?

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Hows the spill on the smooth reflector?

Both reflectors have narrow 24 degree spill. The spill is a bit narrow for general use but is very bright on both reflectors, especially the OP. The SMO reflector's spill is decently bright but the hotspot will overpower it and make it seem less bright than it is. The OP reflector has great throw for what it is though, reminds me of an XML with less spill (I only got to test an XML light yesterday).

firelord777

Enlightened
Hello aimxplode, the spill on the predator is good sized and ok on the SMO version. If you want something that is a beast thrower with very wide spill and big corona, aka good thrower/ flooder, i suggest you pick the Fenix TK41. I love mine, but it can get a bit bulky without a holster, but it is one sweet light.

The flood part of the predator is a bit less wide.

Best wishes, firelord777

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I will attempt it tonight, I'm honestly not sure if my camera can handle it, I only have a crappy camera, but I thought I'd try it anyway. Let's hope it works, if not, my apologies!

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Sorry about the crappy quality, tried my best, can't seem to get shots of longer ranges but I hope this gives you an idea of the spill brightness.
OP reflector at 25 yards:
P1010911.jpg

SMO reflector at 25 yards:
P1010912.jpg

SMO reflector at 80 to 100ish yards:
P1010921.jpg

Couldn't get a pic of the OP reflector at that long range. The SMO is very defined at long distances and clearly illuminates the trees. The OP reflector will illuminate it approx. 50% of the SMO brightness, and there is no defined hotspot; it's more of a bright glow, ala XML led.
Overall, the OP is great for distances up to 60ish yards and will be very even. The SMO is extremely good for spotting at long range and will make lower levels look brighter (which means you can use lower modes and get more battery life for the same amount of throw).
I say just buy both reflectors from Armytek and interchange them. I swap them out continuously when I get bored and want some throw wowness or some smoothness.

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
Cheapsteal, those beamshots are exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much for your efforts!

I like both. I do like throwers and the smooth reflector beam is very impressive isn't it.

Looks like a purchase will be made on pay day :thumbsup:

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Cheapsteal, those beamshots are exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much for your efforts!

I like both. I do like throwers and the smooth reflector beam is very impressive isn't it.

Looks like a purchase will be made on pay day :thumbsup:

Cheers, mate! Yes, the SMO reflector is very impressive, has such an intense beam at nighttime, especially in foggy/misty conditions.

firelord777

Enlightened
Hey cheepsteal, your pictures are actually very good and accurate buddy.

I was over a friend's house and he had a pool, so i decided to take the predator and my tk20 in the pool. Let me tell you, at night, the predator was very close to the actual pool lights, my friend took a picture and will send it to me in a few days of the light's beam underwater!

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Hey cheepsteal, your pictures are actually very good and accurate buddy.

I was over a friend's house and he had a pool, so i decided to take the predator and my tk20 in the pool. Let me tell you, at night, the predator was very close to the actual pool lights, my friend took a picture and will send it to me in a few days of the light's beam underwater!
Thanks dude! Looking forward to those beamshots underwater, I did that in a fish tank and the SMO is very impressive.

budynabuick

Enlightened
That is one fine looking light! No AA:( but i understand why. But, they should make one for us mortals:thumbsup: The hotspot is amazing! And I love the way the way it looks with the leveled (nice job) out bezel.. I did see some green in the first photos but not bad and the rest of the shots were fine. that is a fine looking light. Tell them to make me one for AA. Yes do it . Would it be doable and still retain some semblance of a Predator? thanks

Keith

firelord777

Enlightened
That is one fine looking light! No AA:( but i understand why. But, they should make one for us mortals:thumbsup: The hotspot is amazing! And I love the way the way it looks with the leveled (nice job) out bezel.. I did see some green in the first photos but not bad and the rest of the shots were fine. that is a fine looking light. Tell them to make me one for AA. Yes do it . Would it be doable and still retain some semblance of a Predator? thanks

Keith

Well, they said that they were going to make a 2 AA model at 3 amps, which would probably give it around 800-900 lumens! No release date yet.:)

Best wishes