Armytek Wizard Pro Prototype Long-Term Testing

bower4311

Newly Enlightened
What turn around time are people seeing on repairs from Armytek this year? I expect things to break but need them repaired in a reasonable and predictable time.

Forget Armytek then. Feb. 7th I sent my light back to Armytek via their customer support which wasn't the fastest. Then on Feb. 12th they let me know that they shipped my device which will take 2-4 weeks to arrive from China. I'm not the happiest. I was sent a defective device in the first place that never worked correctly. If it works like everyone else says then I will be happy. With a 10 year warranty I'm hoping that will come in handy in the future. But to just get the light then have to wait this long is frustrating.

bower4311

Newly Enlightened
Actually now that I just checked it will be here tomorrow. Not too too bad. The shipping was faster than expected. Still a while if you need quick repairs. But I'll still say the customer support wasn't flawless. Wait times varied greatly.

EDIT:

Them:Jan 16
Me:Jan 16
Them:Jan 17
Me:Jan 17
Me:Jan 25
Them:Jan 27
Me:Jan 29
Them:Jan 30
Me:Jan 30
Them:Jan 31

After that I took a little while myself to get to the point where I sent it back. Just to get an idea.

Last edited:

bower4311

Newly Enlightened
Received my replaced Wizard pro and WOW the switch is much easier haha. It has an audible click and functions as should. Hopefully no problems with this one.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
I have both Wizard Pro's, The XM-L2 U2 1010lm and the XM-L2 T6 Warm 870lm.

The White U2 LED:
White%20small-m.jpg

The Warm T6
WarmSmall-M.jpg

White U2
WizardPro%20Whitesmall-X2.jpg

Warm T6
WizardProWarmSmall-X2.jpg

As You can see, the Warm T6 brings out the colors much better. This T6 LED is close to perfect in showing true colors.
The U2 dims the color a bit, but when You look at grains in the shorter slab of Sycamore wood, You can notice that the U2 LED brings out much more detail.

A lot has been written about the Wizard Pro. I can only ad my opinion about these lights.
Those are the most sturdy and allround useable EDC lights I have ever had.

I hope these photo's give you a good idea of the difference between these 2 lights.

btw.
It is incredible how much light can come out of a light this small.
It is only just a bit larger then the 18650 that is powering them.

Last edited:

MattSPL

Enlightened
Thanks for the update. Great lights. I use mine everyday in work and it performs perfectly as a handheld flood light, or head lamp.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
I was resawing some wood today for building a classical guitar. I allways have some difficulty's having a clear vew on the sawcut and the wood.
The Wizard Pro comes with a rubber holder for the headband. I made a small nylon loop for it with 2 neodemium magnets in it and put it on the Bandsaw.
Cant emagine why the Bandsaw builders didn't come up with this themselves :)
Works great. Perfect light and perfect sawcut.

20140301_115621-X2.jpg

20140301_115629-X3.jpg

And it was worth it. I ended-up with a beautiful piece of wood.
20140301_172723-X3.jpg

Last edited:

johndoe1027

Newly Enlightened
I have both Wizard Pro's, The XM-L2 U2 1010lm and the XM-L2 T6 Warm 870lm.

The White U2 LED:
White%20small-m.jpg

The Warm T6
WarmSmall-M.jpg

White U2

As You can see, the Warm T6 brings out the colors much better. This T6 LED is close to perfect in showing true colors.
The U2 dims the color a bit, but when You look at grains in the shorter slab of Sycamore wood, You can notice that the U2 LED brings out much more detail.

THANK YOU SO MUCH Grizzlyb! After reading this thread I just had a few questions and your post answered one of them definitively. I want the warm T6 not the cool U2.

Sorry to drag up the thread but I just had to post.

First of all thank you sooooo much Knight Light for your review and tactful responses. You are truly a scholar and a gentleman.

I only have 2 questions and a clarification left before purchasing a wizard.

Clarification - Still no v1.5 (or v2) but the fixed v1 is working as intended? I think I could live with the original UI when faced with an indefinite wait for the updated UI.

1 - I started out looking for a full flood. In keeping with that I was going to get the wide verison but I saw more than one comment that the regular 70/120 beam was better and there was no need for the 90/120 beam. I will use this for up close work and looking distances up to 100' or so. Any further suggestions on wide vs normal? I really like the idea of having my entire field of vision well lit but throw is awesome as well. Kind of sounds like the 70/120 beam shines at both flood and throw. Sorry for the pun, had to.

2 - Just assuming here but haven't seen anything definite. You have to remove the tailcap before putting the Wizard into or taking it out of the headband? Considering a holster for EDC but will use it in the band often. The easier this light is to strap and unstrap the happier I'll be.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread. The lack of production of the 1.5 UI is very disappointing but I still think I will be happier with this light over a ZL.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy with the normal version (not wide), and I am glad that I didn't get wide. The normal one lights up plenty wide for my usage, so I like the fact that it doesn't take more distance away from the throw.

The Wizard Pro is kind of tough to get in and out of the headband with the tailcap on. I did it once or twice, but I wouldn't recommend it. I ended up making a crack in one of the rings in the headband holster by pushing it through. It works just fine, but I am going to just leave mine alone now and keep it in the headband.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the neutral wide and 90cri regular models.

I find that the color rendition of the neutral is so close to the 90 CRI that I usually use the t6 neutral.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Candlepowerforums mobile app

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so what are the main differences between the Wizard and Wizard Pro? I want a good headlamp for running at night (cool white) and I'm leaning towards going with an Armytek instead of ZL H600 Mk II.

I want a simple, not-too-complex interface that I can change output selections on the fly.

edit: I'd love to have momentary on. The Pro can do that, right? Can the non-Pro do it?

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange I never knew the Wizard Pros do this. I just tried it and it worked. Since I have 2 of the originals I'll set one to tactical in .5lumen mode for instant on light. One of my bigger et peeves is the delay you normally need to turn the light on in general mode. Does anyone know if the newer versions of the Pro have a shorter delay? I know my Tiaras pro and non-pro all seem quicker than the original Wizard Pros.

roberta

Newly Enlightened
You were talking about new improved UI for Wizard Pro v2 with new lightweight body & fully new electronics.
Of course, UI v2 is ready. This UI could be a firmware in new Wizard Pro v2 by default.
More details are on CPFMP there: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?288932-Armytek-wizard/page20
Good Day ArmyTek,

Great news about the new Wizard Pro V2.... :thumbsup:

Could You Please tell us when it will become available for purchase/ship, and in what versions it will be available (?Cool White, ?Neutral White, ?Floody, ?other).

Thank You Very Much,
Roberta

Charles L.

Enlightened
Question to those of you who have the v1.5. Are you generally happy with it? I ask because I am considering an Armytek Wizard Pro in my pointless quest to find the *perfect* headlamp, and to be honest the differences in UI between v1.5 and v2.0 are so arcane as to be meaningless to me. If the v1.5 is satisfactory, I'll just order one. What say you, v1.5 users?

I'll be comparing this headlamp primarily to my ZL H600F. Pretty awesome light, but it has a bit more peripheral light spill/glare than I'd prefer; the regular H600 has too much of a defined hotspot for my tastes. The 70:120 focus of the Armytek beam sounds appealing. Clearly I don't need another headlamp; it's a matter of want :)

MattSPL

Enlightened
I have a v1.5 wizard pro and use it daily for work(electrician).
Its a great light with plenty of modes and the battery lasts several weeks of normal use or about a week of heavy use. I use an Enerpower+ 2900mAh which uses the high drain panasonic PD cell.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope you like it! I'm still fully satisfied after a year or so.

alltoclear

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys, Any idea how to different between the v1 and v.15 firmware? i just got hold of a armytek wizard pro recently and wondering what version of firmware does mine comes with. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks