At Wallyworld, anyone know...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
...about an empty peg at three different stores now with a sticker that says "LED G-tech" ???

I have a LED G-tech courtesy of the SMJLED PR!

Would be interesting if Garrity offered something similar stock!

Oh yeah, the price is $8.88 on the sticker.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
PJS, that does sound interesting. I too use my SMJLED in a Garrity G-tech. I find it to be the best size spot/spill of the cheapies I've tried it with. And while cheap, it does have a clickie. My 8 year old likes this combo, and I like letting him be rough with it in play, etc.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Phaserburn?

Have you got any of the 84 cent 2AAs?

You say your G-Tech has the best beam? Mine is more diffused than what my 84 cent 2AAs have.

My very best SMJLED PR light is a Rayovac Swivel Head 2D. It has a fairly sharp edged spot with decent throw and NICE spill. The old United-Outdoor 84 cent 2AAs are not at ALL shabby as SMJLED lights either.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, never got the 84 cent special where I live. Too bad. To me, though, the best place for the SMJLED is a 2AA light, where the size/weight to output ratio really shines. Kind of like why I like a Magled in a Mag instead of a 5mm led solution. If you're going to have a full size light, might as well get some serious brightness from it.

unclearty

Enlightened
Just yesterday, at Wallyworld..found the LARGE sized Energizer..multi battery flashlight on clearance...$1.50 with 2 Energizer AA batteries. This flashlight lets you use whatever batteries you have on hand....AA..C..or D. I put one of the
SMJLED bulbs in it. It has a very fine...pinpoint spot with little spill. Worth looking for if you like very bright pinpoint spots.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Certainly phaserburn, the SMJLED REALLY shines in 2AA lights!

But back to the subject, wouldn't it be something if Garrity turned out an SMJ-like 2AA G-Tech?

I know I'll keep watching Wallyworlds!!!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that may be one of those plug in the wall emergency lights with an LED. Sorry to disappoint anyone who had greater hopes.

PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
...about an empty peg at three different stores now with a sticker that says "LED G-tech" ???

Oh yeah, the price is $8.88 on the sticker.

tvman

Newly Enlightened
unclearty,

I did the same thing putting a SMJLED in the Energizer (2aa, 2D, or 2C). The original bulb is useless and the SMJLED gives it a very narrow/small beam with no spill. I thought of putting two 3aa to D adapters & batts with a 5 cell PR bulb but I went with the SMJLED. Unfortunately, I had to pay $3 for mine. You got a steal for $1.50.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Okay, I know about the G-tech LED.

It uses 4AAA in a battery carrier. It has a reverse clickie.

It is approx. 6 1/8" (166mm) in length, with a head diameter of approx. 1 5/8" (43mm). It has a rubber ribbed body sleave, and comes with a lanyard with about a 4 1/2" loop.

It has a large (approx. 7/8") magnifying lense....

It would have an actually pretty decent beam except for...
GarrityG-TecLEDbeam.jpg

The image of the bond wires is a BUMMER!

It has some sort of "anti rollers" around the head, and four extension bumps so you can tell it's on face down. It will tail stand to a degree but the lanyard makes it tippy.

Really, seriously if it weren't for the bond wires showing so well, it wouldn't be a horrible light. And even with them, it would keep a Darwin would be from walking off a cliff...

It SHOULD, being only a 5MM LED, be pretty long running on the 4AAA.... But of course AAA ain't nearly the best solution, and a battery carrier is enough to REALLY hack some people off!!!

Edit> It will run on 2AA. But it's pretty dim! <edit

Last edited:

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Sounds like I already have the perfect G-Tech then. I put an EverLED in mine. It's definitely my sleeper light in the house :)

I put my SMJLED in a 2D mag. Both lights have their purpose and I am very pleased with them. The SMJLED is an awesome priced LED upgrade for any cheapie light.

I just need to buy a MagLED upgrade to try. I'm thinking it might do well in some of the AA incan lanterns I have around the house.

Thanks for the beamshots on the LED G-Tech, very informative.