At what point is a "Custom", no longer a Custom?

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fred is PhotonFanatic. Who's Brian? Scott (Milky?) Forgot about MM and JHanko, though JH makes some ridiculously cool stuff.

It seems then that there were more true Customs years ago then, hey? Weren't people like TranquilityBase, Morelite, Erin, etc doing a lot of one-off bodies and heads? Who else does that stuff now?

Brian is MM, but I wouldn't include Milky in the conversation....And yes, there were more true customs produced in past years.

The only thing missing from this great thread (Thanks Tim) are pictures.

Jason, aka archer6817j DBA Dark Sucks referred to this as a One-off of a limited edition.
~ Hat-Tip to owner/photographer easilyled. ~
:thumbsup:
DSC_0024.jpg

Custom, or not? I vote custom.

Formerly owned by yours-truly.
Oveready "customized" Surefire C2 Centurion & 6P. The colors are Oveready HA "Custom Black", and "Custom Orange". Both were bored for an 18650 battery, had McClicky hard press tail switches, SS bezels, and numerous "Custom" drop-ins.
cimg1977e.jpg

Custom or customized? I vote customized.

lovecpf~ Chance

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

~ William Shakespeare ~
1400 AD

Last edited:

fishndad

Enlightened
I think the hand crafted lights are worthy of the $$$$ they bring in.At least the ones ive seen in CPFers pics.
But i wouldnt call them custom.
And i dont think the word custom carries anything special to it.
Hand crafted to me carries more value than custom.I also think a factory light can be moded to meet the special needs
of someone making it custom but not handmade.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Scott to which I was referring is the Scooter that is TranquilityBase. Scott and Fred are my favorite host cutters hands down, and I am currently working with Fred on the next one. I am also waiting on my 2nd Mac light, and the wait has been a long one. Hopefully it will pan out, as the last TriEDC I had was very very nice.

I have a single mule head by MirageMan that I have fancified to make a very nice aspheric flood ala the XRU, but with better wider optics. I run an XML or a Nichia 119 in it and the beam is flawless. I bother Brian with an email every once in a while about making another, but so far it hasn't happened. This head runs on a McClicky pack and counts for me as a McGizmo in this sense. :)

I did indeed forget Jeff. I have one light from Jeff, and have had more. I can't seem to completely let his work go. The 3D tail design is just so cool, it seems I will always need to have one in house.

Still, my McGizmos (Ti PD, PD Mule, UV mule, and the special MM mule) are those that ride EDC the most. The rest are special events.

obi

easilyled

Flashaholic
The CPF distinction between Custom and Non-custom lights seems to be that of scale of production and reach of the manufacturer.

In other words, if the manufacturer's aims are to sell large volumes of its lights and to reach the general public, their lights would be regarded as Non-custom as far as CPF is concerned.

If the aim of the manufacturer is to sell limited numbers of lights and to tailor their audience to people who tend to be more knowledgable and selective (such as CPF'ers), then their lights would be regarded as Custom.

Personal definitions will obviously vary since the non-CPF meaning of the word "custom" is subjective at best.
There will be as many interpretations as there are people offering up opinions.