AtlasNova vs. DealExtreme

Crossfire

Newly Enlightened
Atlasnova. I've had nothing but good experience with them, and would recommend their lasers highly. They don't specialize in the 100mW burning greenies but if you need a super stable mid-power (10-50mW), this is the place to go.

They do screen their customers and do not sell to minors under 18 years of age. Since these are actually Class IIIb lasers they need to be real careful.

To be honest, with a name like "Ballz2TheWallz", I'd suspect you're under 18. Just my $.02. :whistle:

Ballz2TheWallz

Newly Enlightened
I have both, but I seem to have extraordinarily bad luck with lasers lately. The tweaked 5 mw leadlight I got from atlasnova over two years ago is still working perfectly. The 30 mw from dealextreme is a pos. It isn't even as bright as the leadlight and I can't see the beam in the dark at all. Yes, I put new batteries in the dx and no change. :thumbsdow
They will exchange it you know.

not2bright

Enlightened
I ordered the "Laselly" 50mW SKU1363 on 7/8/2007 for $35.30. My order status is "shipped".

I'll let you know if it is indeed the "higher quality" model as compared to my DX 2nd gen 30mW.

I picked up the package from the Post Office today, as they attempted to deliver it yesterday. Shipping wasn't bad as the attempted delivery was 7 business days from the order date.

The problem is that it appears that they shipped me the SKU#2179 "Billy" rather than the SKU#1363 "Laselly" that I ordered. :scowl:

The aperture is larger than the image shows and the sticker is not as detailed as the one pictured for SKU1363. The laser construction and appearance is identical to the 2nd generation DX 30mW I have. :thumbsdow

I'll wait to comment on performance between the two until it gets dark.

The sticker does state "Max Output <50mW"

I wrote to Kaidomain and explained that I ordered the higher priced unit that still shows "In Stock - Ship in 1-2 days" but received the lower priced, lower quality unit. :shakehead

I'll post back here when I get a response.

Last edited:

npkeith

Newly Enlightened
Dealextreme has just listed a 50mW green for $26: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2390

So. I've been following this thread for a while now, and I'm hoplessly confused.

1: do DX greens have an IR filter or not?

2: are they actually a good deal or not? $26 for a 50mW seems good, but if its a piece o'crap that burns out in a day, then it isn't.

3: are they easily (that is easily for a moron who can just about use a screwdriver without drawing blood...) moddable? (I.E. can I get a 30mW and mod it up to 50 ish etc.)

Ballz2TheWallz

Newly Enlightened
Dealextreme has just listed a 50mW green for $26: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2390

So. I've been following this thread for a while now, and I'm hoplessly confused.

1: do DX greens have an IR filter or not?

2: are they actually a good deal or not? $26 for a 50mW seems good, but if its a piece o'crap that burns out in a day, then it isn't.

3: are they easily (that is easily for a moron who can just about use a screwdriver without drawing blood...) moddable? (I.E. can I get a 30mW and mod it up to 50 ish etc.)
1. They are brand new, this is unknown but they aren't made by the same manufacturer as the $50 50mw laser which DOES have an IR filter

2. Unknown, no one has one yet, the more expensive one is considered the best 50mw per dollar out there

3. No, you are looking at possibly damaging the case or drilling into the case to get to the pot.

not2bright

Enlightened
After trying my DX 30mW and the Kai 50mW "SKU1363" in the dark it is clear that the 50mW is FAR brighter than the 30mw.

At startup the beam brightness of the 30 and 50 are nearly the same. After 2-3 seconds of warm-up the 50mW becomes what appears to be at least twice, probably three times as bright.

My 30mW is clearly visible, with a distinct reasonably bright beam in the dark. The beam while clearly visible, appears to be translucent. After warm-up the 50mW appears to project a solid green tube of light.

Both were running on freshly charged ROV Hybrid 800mAH cells.

LightForce

Newly Enlightened
After trying my DX 30mW and the Kai 50mW "SKU1363" in the dark it is clear that the 50mW is FAR brighter than the 30mw.

At startup the beam brightness of the 30 and 50 are nearly the same. After 2-3 seconds of warm-up the 50mW becomes what appears to be at least twice, probably three times as bright.

My 30mW is clearly visible, with a distinct reasonably bright beam in the dark. The beam while clearly visible, appears to be translucent. After warm-up the 50mW appears to project a solid green tube of light.

Both were running on freshly charged ROV Hybrid 800mAH cells.

Wow, great!

My 50 mW is now shipped, I'm waiting for the postman:)

What about divergence? How large in diameter is the beam at 10 meters distance?

not2bright

Enlightened
I'm not sure how big the beam is at 10M (32.8').

How do you measure this? I don't want to walk out in front of the laser while it is powered on. :duh2:

LightForce

Newly Enlightened
You can throw the beam at elevation or the tree at the known, far distance (it can be also 100' or 1000') and use binoculars for observing how large is the projected spot. You can also place the scale there in the distance and shine on it while observing. the scale and the target cannot be reflective or high-albedo!

Divergence of 1 mrad is when the spot has +1mm in diameter at every meter of distance. (10 meters - 10 mm, 100 meters - 10 cm etc.) It must be added to the starting diameter of the beam at 0 meters.

You can use another unit and prescale it. (I use meters becouse I feel certain when I use this unit)

Damian

luvlasers

Enlightened
I'd go for Atlasnova for low powered lasers.

Never bought from them but i've heard so many good things about their service and laser quality. Kudos to them :)

Lew Fong

Newly Enlightened
Arnold got a large quantity...very large...of Taiwanese-made Leadlight 105's years ago, and has a way to go before depleting this supply. They are infra-red filtered. They are easily disassembled and modified. Quality is very good, although no longer state-of-the-art. Lenses are glass. I agree that AtlasNova is the way to go for mid-powered lasers, despite the higher prices. I have alot of them. Most will easily make 40 mW with the pot mod. About one in ten will tune up in the 65 mW range. I have a few that tuned up to 80 mW. Those are rare.

The mainland Chinese made New Wish models sold by DX are not IR filtered. This single fact alone is enough for me to recommend that you not buy them, if for no other reason than to send a message to China that we don't want unfiltered lasers. Unfortunately, now they produce lasers in powers as high as (claimed) 200mW that are also un-filtered. These things are truly dangerous.

I have found QC and repeatability of the New Wish units to be wanting, as well. Plus, they play fast and loose with their power specifications. At one point, a laser that made 20 mW of green and 80 mW of invisible IR was considered by them to be a 100 mW laser. That was bad enough from a consumer confidence standpoint. But now they sell a "true" 30 mW for example, that makes 125 mW of IR in addition to the 30 mils of green because there is no IR filter. So a person thinks he is holding a 30 mW when he is actually holding 155 mW of total power. I think this is dangerous because the guy who thinks it is only a 30 mil unit doesn't realize he should give the laser more respect, perhaps. I know that is flaky logic on the surface, but you know what they say about knives....people only get cut with dull ones. The sharp ones they are more careful with, because they know it is more dangerous!

The NW/DX lasers are easy to disassemble and re-assemble without damaging the barrels, so if you are going to mod one, think about installing a filter.

If you go to the thread about the new DX 30, you will find lots of folks love'em. They are cheap and bright. For most folks, especially those who are looking for units in the low-ball price range, that is all they expect or care about...cheap and bright. So lots of folks are very happy with them. Having seen how they are built, especially compared to the GP-105's, I can't recommend them from an engineer's point of view....plastic lenses, tiny MCA, loose focus barrel threads, poor machining, cold solder joints, switches that fall apart, non-coaxial beam, noisy and/or spurious outputs, mode-hopping, etc. It takes alot of effort to get them to tune up very well at all. Repeatability from one unit to the next is poor, so you might get a good one, or you might get a bad one. It's a coin toss. But I guess for the money it's not much of a gamble.

Cheers,

Lew

Crossfire

Newly Enlightened
Now that I've got both AtlasNova and Deal Extreme lasers, I have to say that both suit their purpose well. The AN's got excellent build and unrivaled stability at a good price. The DX lasers have decent build quality, but short duty cycles before stability loss occurs. Their price can't be beat, however.

I am quite happy with both my AN 40.6mW and my DX30.