ATTENTION FENIX ENGINEERS!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there is a one fix all solution. My only gripe with the multiple modes is that you cant use it for morse code (except SOS)
Fenix need to think along the lines of photonlight.

Instead of having the bezel turning feature to switch Highs and lows, have it switch between modes and no modes. meaning...

Bezel position 1:
Momentary on/off
click for constant on

at primary/turbo mode (they can just choose one, or let the buyer have a choice between which type they want)

Bezel Position 2:
all the various modes that fenix has now, yes INCLUDING the SOS, STROBE, etc, and same User Interface

This way, we have the best of both worlds.

which means they should implement the L1D (acording to crazy carl) UI to all thier lights

Of course, with twisties, youre rather limited with this...but im sure they can figure something out..:D

Crenshaw

Last edited:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am anti Strobe myself but it came in handy at a party, someone said I wish
we had a strobe light, thats when the fenix came to the resque

Marduke

Flashaholic
I think there is a one fix all solution. My only gripe with the multiple modes is that you cant use it for morse code (except SOS)
Fenix need to think along the lines of photonlight.

Instead of having the bezel turning feature to switch Highs and lows, have it switch between modes and no modes. meaning...

Bezel position 1:
Momentary on/off
click for constant on

at primary/turbo mode (they can just choose one, or let the buyer have a choice between which type they want)

Bezel Position 2:
all the various modes that fenix has now, yes INCLUDING the SOS, STROBE, etc, and same User Interface

This way, we have the best of both worlds.

which means they should implement the L1D (acording to crazy carl) UI to all thier lights

Of course, with twisties, youre rather limited with this...but im sure they can figure something out..:D

Crenshaw

How about a modfication?
Bezel tightened down:
Single mode, forward clickie

Bezel loosen, cycle modes such as with the L2D. Once desired mode is reached, tighten bezel again and use light in the mode like it was a single mode light.

Light can only be cycled in loose position, and acts as single mode only when tightened.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Provided that it will still be waterproof when losened.

How about that turn bezel thingy, but with a UI like the one you just decribed..

Crenshaw

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
the u2 has a 6 stage turning solution and is waterproof, is it that expensive to manufacture?

liquidsix

Enlightened
Hmm, talking about the usefulness of strobe and sos modes is like playing with fire. I seem to remember a very very heated thread about these modes.

ggg300

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered two of the bike mounts ggg300 mentioned. If they work as well as they look, they'll be winners and superior to the Two Fish mount.

Also, as ggg noted, the sos & strobe can both be useful to alert drivers or pedestrians of your, biking, presence. There may be instances where either feature may be surprisingly useful.

I'm buying a P3D precisely because of the strobe, plus the multiple levels. When the bells & whistles aren't needed, I've got way too many other lights waiting for their chance to shine.

The extra modes are at the end of the switching sequence, so they aren't in the way; they're icing on a versatile, reasonably priced, light.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...l=8&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=4

topcat39

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, talking about the usefulness of strobe and sos modes is like playing with fire. I seem to remember a very very heated thread about these modes.
Looks like this thread is getting pretty warm :devil: !

Although I like my L0D CE a lot, in the KISS realm I do have a L0D SE med/low/high and a L1S low/high :thumbsup:.

lumenal

Enlightened
If you don't like the SOS or strobe functions on a light...then why buy it? Just to complain about these so-called "silly" functions? :nana:

How about getting a light without them ? :confused:

mechBgon

Enlightened
If you don't like the SOS or strobe functions on a light...then why buy it? Just to complain about these so-called "silly" functions? :nana:

How about getting a light without them ? :confused:

Personally, I just want Strobe and SOS in one group, and the steady-on modes in the other group :) Low-Medium-High-Turbo makes a lot more sense than Low-Medium-High-OhNoI'mGoingToDieSOS!

...doesn't it? :poke:

:popcorn:

Speaker

Newly Enlightened
What do you all no-sos-no-strobe people do with your lights that makes you cycle through all the modes?
(I think this was asked before but noone answered - everyone keep complaining about the stupid sos and strobe modes).
When I use my fenix lights, sos and strobe don't bother me as I use the light at a setting that I need for the task. No need for cycling through modes.
I personally think a strobe is a very usefull feature:
1) attaract attention;
2) warn others that there is someone out there (like on a road when changing tires during night time)
3) fun (like at a party when someone says I wish we had a strobe).

All of the above happed to me more than once.

NO need for disorientation or other stupid mall commando functions. Why do people even think about these stupid things when considering a light with a strobe function? May be because they are mall ninjas themselves... or used to be in the past

EDIT: Oh, I could very well live without the SOS mode (actual implementation in the fenix lights is very poor) - I wish I had a low low instead.:) :)

Last edited:

lumenal

Enlightened
Personally, I just want Strobe and SOS in one group, and the steady-on modes in the other group :) Low-Medium-High-Turbo makes a lot more sense than Low-Medium-High-OhNoI'mGoingToDieSOS!

...doesn't it? :poke:

Not to me.

When I'm biking my L2D is in Turbo, so a quick light tap to the tailswitch will activate the attention grabbing strobe mode, to alert the driver on the cell phone thats about to roll through a stopsign, to WAKE UP, obey the traffic laws, and STOP!

A two-handed bezel twist just doesn't cut it.

But, different strokes for different folks. :grin2:

Stromberg

Enlightened
As a bike light, the SOS/strobe are good things...you want to have drivers see you and there is a lot of competing light...

That depends of the laws of your country. IIRC flashing bikelights are forbidden for example in Finland. Yes I know, that's very idiotic law but what can you do.. And If you use strobes anyway some a**hole drivers may react and start flashing their high beams or write to forums calling bikers fu**ing idiots and what not.

cof13

Newly Enlightened
I like having the SOS and strobe modes available. It seems that it is better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it. But with all the choices out there you can find just about anything to your liking.

mechBgon

Enlightened
Not to me.

When I'm biking my L2D is in Turbo, so a quick light tap to the tailswitch will activate the attention grabbing strobe mode, to alert the driver on the cell phone thats about to roll through a stopsign, to WAKE UP, obey the traffic laws, and STOP!

A two-handed bezel twist just doesn't cut it.

But, different strokes for different folks. :grin2:

I use my own L2D as a helmet light, so I understand where you're coming from. In the occasions where I've tried to tail-tap my L2D into Strobe mode in response to a possible emergent danger, I've sometimes switched the light OFF by pressing too hard, or failed to switch to Strobe by not pushing it hard enough. Confirming it really did switch to Strobe (and not OFF) can take a moment, too. On a ride in near-freezing conditions and possibly rain or snow, my dexterity gets worse, lessening my odds of getting it right. I could be using those split-seconds to evade the danger by braking or maneuvering, if I weren't fumbling with a finicky clicky on my helmet with one hand.

There are some extra-dangerous areas around here where I'll preemptively put the L2D in Strobe mode ahead of time if I think it might be necessary, but if I suddenly need to grab a driver's attention in the dark, I generally aim the helmet light down at my bright-yellow jacket sleeves once or twice. Having a bright-yellow object suddenly illuminated point-blank at 150+ lumens in the dark has a good chance of getting attention, and doesn't require taking a hand off my bars. As you say, different strokes for different folks :thumbsup:

At any rate, maybe Fenix will consider offering a 2xAA Q5 light similar to the T1, just Low and Turbo, for those who prefer that type of UI. I could go for that! :party:

Last edited:

wild68fury

Newly Enlightened
As long as the Fenix engineers are monitoring this thread... :rolleyes:

I for one very much like the Strobe feature. As was said, I can easily imagine it being a life saver (literally) when changing a tire on the side of a highway at night. Been there, done that, too many times.
The strobe place on the roof drip rail aimed down the shoulder behind your car (NOT directly into oncoming traffic) would be an invaluable alert light.

The SOS mode, while I can imagine some scenarios it might also be a life saver, is not one that would be used during the lifetime of most Fenix lights.

However, and here's my one big point, it would have been great to have the Strobe and the SOS together on one mode, and the low/med/high/turbo together on the other mode. That way you could totally ignore the "emergency" features until you need them, and when you do, they'd be there waiting for you at the twist of the bezel.
That, together with a memory feature with the light turning on in the brightness and mode it was last turned off with, would make my L2D-CD/Q5 so perfect that I would be tempted to buy a box of 'em. :huh:

I second that motion. Head screwed all the way in for normal flashlight mode and out for emergency mode with a possibility of an ultra low setting.

wild68fury

Newly Enlightened
That depends of the laws of your country. IIRC flashing bikelights are forbidden for example in Finland. Yes I know, that's very idiotic law but what can you do.. And If you use strobes anyway some a**hole drivers may react and start flashing their high beams or write to forums calling bikers fu**ing idiots and what not.

A while back, I read that flashing lights acctually attract drunk drivers. I use a scrolling bike light just for that reason. I would rather have a light that cycled from the lowest setting to the highest and then back again.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
I like the feature of havin instant turbo by turning the bezel very much, this wouldn't be possible with the strobe and sos accessible in one bezel position and the normal modes in the other.
I don't like the idea of having a light with low-med-high-turbo-high-med and so on cause I'd never know whether the light's gonna get brighter or dimmer switching to the next mode :shakehead