Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Saw Valerian Thousand Planets this weekend. Definitely worthy for science fiction fans. Elaborate production, good ending.

I finally saw this movie.... pretty good movie, very beautiful in places but the one thing that sort of annoyed me is the male actor "felt" too much like Tom Cruise in his acting but just didn't have the pizazz plus it could have used a comedic supporting actor and the ending could have used a better setting. Worth watching on a nice set, since I don't have a large tv or 4K not sure what it would look like.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If you have a good theatre nearby, do check out Roma, which was filmed in 6K with Dolby Atmos sound; this film sets itself apart by showing off the tech in a very simple and subtle way - no explosions or CGI, just Ansel Adams-level composition along with a sparse plot that borders on short story, but the film is 2 hrs 15 mins long because it draws out the cinematography just letting the viewer soak up the setting. Definitely leaves an impression, it's a bit like a moving visit to the museum. It's also available to view for free on Netflix, however there are quite a few "no TV big enough" scenes..
sJq8jiz.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
HP Omen X Emperium 65 gaming computer monitor; 65", DisplayPort connection for 4K @ native/non-interpolated 144hz, 120 watt 3.1 surround soundbar, Nvidia Shield, Google Chromecast built-in. $5,000.
ffQofzX.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Online place has 32" HD Fire Edition TVs for $100, your choice of two brands. If you have a Prime subscription and wifi, that means you can put this TV in any bed/spare room and have a full Smart TV + Alexa setup with only the AC plug coming from the back of the TV.

nbp

Flashaholic
This thread is not a "Good Deals" thread. Keep to the topic of Avatar or posts will be deleted.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Avatar has been bumped down to the second highest grossing movie worldwide of all time, surpassed by Avengers Endgame as of mid-July of this year. Future Avatar sequels are now planned every other year starting in 2022, alternating with new Star Wars movies every odd-numbered year, and almost certainly competing directly with Marvel releases as they're releasing roughly two every year.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
How many StarHalo posts are there in this thread? Why watch Avatar again when I can just sit back and watch StarHalo talk to himself/no one in particular about random unrelated stuff? And here I thought this thread was as dead as Sigourney Weaver's character in Avatar...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
How many StarHalo posts are there in this thread? Why watch Avatar again when I can just sit back and watch StarHalo talk to himself/no one in particular about random unrelated stuff? And here I thought this thread was as dead as Sigourney Weaver's character in Avatar...

There's some difficulty in having an ongoing thread on a movie series where the first two movies are 13 years apart; as this film introduced many viewers to IMAX, 3D, and related viewing technologies, the discussion naturally diverged into how to have that viewing experience at home, which brings up the issues of television technology and how prices have plummeted over time so that what was exclusive and inaccessible before is now common and easy to come by - a good 50" plasma set was $1,500 when Avatar was released, which is not a realistic budget for many TV buyers, but today a 65" LCD set that can match or better long-discontinued plasma tech, with additional 4K resolution and Smart TV internet connectivity which didn't exist in 2009, is ~$500 at your local Wal-Mart.

As the thread is about the revolutionary nature of the film, it's inevitable over such a long span of time that there will be other examples that rival or better it, so this would be the place to point out such examples. There are probably more than a few posters here who now prefer Mad Max Fury Road over Avatar, and I still think that if they could give Oscars to CGI characters, it would have gone to Thanos for Avengers Infinity War. As we're entering the golden age of the pure CGI movie, the numbers of such examples will increase dramatically over the coming months.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is handy for possible updates on the future Avatar movies. Saves time from searching media outlets about it. Seems like post #470 could have been a PM instead of...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
And now there's more competition: The Matrix 4 is confirmed to begin filming next year with Keanu Reeves and Carrie Anne Moss returning to their starring roles, and at least one of the Wachowskis writing and directing. Given how advanced the effects of original movies were 10-20 years ago, it'll be interesting to see what they can do with current computing and expectations..

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Forgot to mention: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a dazzling hundred-minute celebration of animated art, basically the modern Fantasia but with a contemporary what-is-a-hero storyline. Academy awarded for Best Animated Film, rated 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, 8.4 on IMDB, and rated PG so you can share it with the kids, a museum-quality high-def delight..
m098ehy.jpg