Awesome HDS Mod by Milky...

Edwood

Enlightened
Mouser has them too, but single quantity purchases are out of stock.

They sell in quantities of 10 as well.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edwood said:
Mouser has them too, but single quantity purchases are out of stock.

They sell in quantities of 10 as well.

Edwood, got an item number at Mouser for the right ones?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone tell me why reversed polarity would matter in the case of the HDS? I thought it only mattered in the case of circuits using a common ground (like in automotive apps).

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
tebore said:
Can someone tell me why reversed polarity would matter in the case of the HDS? I thought it only mattered in the case of circuits using a common ground (like in automotive apps).

Oh, you mean with respect to the SSC P4 part. Typically the housing of a flashlight like the HDS carries the ground connection. Normally that's okay because the emitter's heatsinking slug is either electrically isolated, or also carries a negative potential. However, the SSC P4 part apparently carries a POSITIVE potential, which could result in shorting-out the part and thereby bypassing the emitter itself... no electrons flow into the light-producing area in the semiconductor. Worse, the short may cause an overload situation in the regulator and end up frying the board. Not good! :eek:oo:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
milkyspit said:
Oh, you mean with respect to the SSC P4 part. Typically the housing of a flashlight like the HDS carries the ground connection. Normally that's okay because the emitter's heatsinking slug is either electrically isolated, or also carries a negative potential. However, the SSC P4 part apparently carries a POSITIVE potential, which could result in shorting-out the part and thereby bypassing the emitter itself... no electrons flow into the light-producing area in the semiconductor. Worse, the short may cause an overload situation in the regulator and end up frying the board. Not good! :eek:oo:

Do you think you'll be able to come up with a solution to get around this problem? Using something like a Shin Etzu Thermal pad maybe?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
tebore said:
Do you think you'll be able to come up with a solution to get around this problem? Using something like a Shin Etzu Thermal pad maybe?

Yup... I think I can already work around it. :naughty:

Edwood

Enlightened
Do you have pics of the Cree Mod?

I'm wondering if Q3 XR-E will be the best available first, or maybe Seoul Semicondutor might have a comparable part at the same time.

-Ed

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edwood said:
Do you have pics of the Cree Mod?

I'm wondering if Q3 XR-E will be the best available first, or maybe Seoul Semicondutor might have a comparable part at the same time.

-Ed

Ed, pics are coming. I'm not a professional photographer so don't expect much! But at least they'll give you some idea of that the modded light looks and performs like.

As far as your question, my guess would be that Cree is supplying the same dice to SSC that they're using in their own XR-E parts... so I would anticipate both products evolving on parallel tracks, with the XR-E appearing a month or so ahead of the SSC part in each case.

BTW, I wouldn't count Luxeon out yet... they've been suspiciously quiet lately... may be up to something... and remember, SHOT show is on the horizon...

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]SCblur HDS CREEmation![/size]

Some quick photos of SCblur's completed light (which will ship today, incidentally) and comparison shots vs. my personal HDS EDC-U60.

SCblur's HDS B42 CREEmated! Composite photo, a little artsy. ;)
(Note the glow ring installed in place of stock O-ring to seal the light...
the glow is essentially a bonus as the silicone composition of the ring
seems to form a better, more pliable seal against the lens! That's the
main reason I install these.)

img-hds-crma-composite.jpg

The HDS CrMa beam profile.
img-hds-crma-ceiling.jpg

HDS CrMa hotspot and beam distribution.
img-hds-crma-hotspot.jpg

Comparison vs. U60: HDS CrMa left, U60 right, both at max brightness.
(Greyscale image for a more objective comparison, without results
skewed by the apparent brightness of various tints. Photo is
otherwise unretouched. Oh, and sorry my front door is so dirty!
Three kids and all... :eek:oo:)

img-hds-crma-b42cree-vs-u60.jpg

Posterized photo: HDS CrMa left, U60 right.
(Note: this is a different photo than the one above. The HDS CrMa
hotspot oversaturated the camera's dynamic range, but it's still
useful to note how far out the CrMa continues to match or exceed
the max hotspot brightness of the U60.)
:naughty:
img-hds-crma-posterized.jpg

Merry Christmas! :santa:

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there is more of a difference with the B42 than with the U60 judging

by these beamshots and my B42.

I am going to cree a U60 also. :grin2:

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
DUH
There is at least an 18 lumen difference to start with.
I didnt think before that post. :ohgeez:
russtang said:
I think there is more of a difference with the B42 than with the U60 judging

by these beamshots and my B42.

I am going to cree a U60 also. :grin2:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is on its way. I kind of figured it was getting CreeMated. Tremendous difference in the beamshots.

-Goatee

SCblur

Enlightened
do it KDOG, do it!!! Think of it as U85 performance with B42XR runtime and heat buildup. This is way better than a U85 IMO. I can't wait to get my light back and post my observations and thoughts.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I may have already said this earlier on in the thread...but "OH LORDY!" I think I will also add a "DAMN!" for good measure.

HDS + Cree = Flashlight perfection.
buttrock.gif

CFU

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edwood said:
So will a CreeMated U60 be even brighter?

-Ed

My understanding is that the 42 and 60 differ mainly in use of higher-flux emitters in the 60... if that's true then I'd expect both to end up about the same brightness after the mod... so no, the U60 wouldn't necessarily be any brighter than the B42. Of course, I could be wrong!

That said, the photos do show that even a U60 should see a nice performance boost, so IMHO it's still a very worthwhile upgrade. Heck, I'm gonna upgrade mine once I get more Q3 reflectors (have about 10 on order). :)

Latest posts