Backpack? (big backpack but small enough to be a carry-on luggage on flight)

Renaissance Man

Newly Enlightened
Before going to chose a backpack one first needs to know what one will put inside. And that knowledge, oddly as it might sound, comes with experience. After a good deal of trial and error, buying and selling packs, I settled for three basic types that could be upgraded and modifined depending on the task at hand. The most used one is my urban EDC pack which currently is a Maxpedition Pigmy Falcon II. Contrary to previous opinions I would say that Maxpedition is not that bad on organization although other manufacturers may have neater solutions. The smaller compartments of the EDC pack would generally accomodate an organzer with some comfort items, a multitool, flashlight, pens -- the usual EDC loadout. The main compartment could either hold a laptop, training clothing, food or items that I would purchase somewhere along the way. The shortcoming of the Pigmy Falcon is that it doesn't have horizontal compression straps and belt. Otherwise it is very comfortable and versatile, love it. The near ideal pack of this sort seems to be the TAD Gear FAST Pack Litespeed. More volume, great ergonomics, compression straps and belt, more pockets and organizational capabilities and above all -- vertically elongated design which I found to be the most functional and comfortable for a light urban-style backpack. The shape of the pack is the factor of choice that I would stress above all.
For a mid-size backpack, what they call a "3-day pack", I have a Maxpedition Vulture II. Before buying a pack of this size (around 46 liters), I would recommend first trying it on and loading it if possible. The Vulture II has a belt but you cannot vary the position of the shoulder straps and it might just not fit you, especially if you are 180 cm and taller. If you want a rugger pack you can stick with the 1000D nylon, but that material also adds weght. I've heard that Kelty have some packs that could very well be just what is needed. Recenlty I ordered an Eberlestock Halftrack. It is a 50+ something liter pack, elongated again and has an inner frame which is important if you have to carry more weight= It is very ergonomic and has outstanding organizational capabilties.
If you need more capacity still, then external frame backpacks are to be taken in consideration, but that is not what is discussed here, I believe.
To wrap up, begin with what you would carry in the pack and stick with a vertically elongated shape that keeps the load closer to the body and doesn't stick back which will off-balance you and make you bend on the go. Hope that experience helps someone.

Gemlab

Banned
maxpedition gear slinger.
Kodiak S-Type Gearslinger
lots of add on acc.
I have also put the pac in a costco carry on and have the option to have an extra bag to check in. $40.00

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
FWIW, I think that bag choice depends on a lot of things, including whether you want a backpack first that's also a travel carry-on bag, or need a good travel carry-on bag that can be worn on the back.

For great carry-on bag options, check with the folks who are the one-bag travel experts:

http://www.onebag.com/ and http://onebagger.squarespace.com/

It also really depends on the kind of travel you do... if it's at all international, there are size AND weight limits, and many carry on sized bags weigh a ton. This includes the hard core "tactical" style backpacks. It's fine for domestic travel, as size is all that matters. But with a total bag weight limit of 8 kg for example, a big heavy bag is going to seriously limit what you can bring with you.

For carry on luggage that has backpack straps, I personally use the Campmor carry on bag: http://www.campmor.com/essential-carry.shtml

I also have the Golite convertible- it's an awesome travel bag: http://www.golite.com/TraveLite-Convertible-Carry-On-P939.aspx

I also use a 20L Deuter backpack as my "personal bag" in combination with the carry-on and love it.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Op got his pack but I just wanted to show the Haglöfs backpacks.

I have for many years ago used one of their large expedition backpacks a couple of times when I was in the mountains and it was very good.

After that I have had a couple of smaller ones, one when I was studying and one for daytrips and urban use occasionally.

It's not any "tactical" bags but very good quality.
Haglöfs have very good outdoor equipment as general - pants, shoes and other stuff.

http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/backpacksbags/

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Op got his pack but I just wanted to show the Haglöfs backpacks.

I have for many years ago used one of their large expedition backpacks a couple of times when I was in the mountains and it was very good.

After that I have had a couple of smaller ones, one when I was studying and one for daytrips and urban use occasionally.

It's not any "tactical" bags but very good quality.
Haglöfs have very good outdoor equipment as general - pants, shoes and other stuff.

http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/backpacksbags/
I have plenty of stuff from Haglofs, ranging from belt and wallet to baselayers, softshells and goretext hardshells: IMHO their quality and design are second to none. They are also much easier to find on sale than other brands like Arcteryx which is undoubtedly excellent but often overpriced here in Europe.
For backpacks, I went for Deuter and Osprey which offer a much wider range of packs. Haglofs backpacks look very good too though.
I do have a couple of tactical Camelbak packs and they are great for EDC, weekend trips or whenever you need a pack that is extremely durable and can be used for different purposes. For hiking and tracking alone I find civilian backpacks a much better choice.

Last edited:

Latest posts