Banning of dealers and Manufacturers in CPF?!??

LED-FX

Enlightened
Re: Banning of dealers and Manufacturers in CPF?!?

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. The new rules are in place to protect those who choose to advertise on CPF. It does not make sense to charge someone for ad space while giving another person a free pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely understand, those who help to fund CPF should receive the benefits.

Think my thought is more with manufacturers announcing new product, from the little guys with something new to the big guys with something new.

Yup, small makers don`t have the budget to splurge out left and right on advertising and may just be looking for feedback, on something that is a beta prototype and even a one time charge, may be more than they can afford.Perhaps turning to usenet or other forums for feedback.

Large manufacturers may look at an announcement in CPF as one in a long list of press releases and won`t be making any payments for publishing a press release.

If its new think most of CPF want to hear about it, but a one time announcement and possible follow on thread for queries should be all that is allowed for non sponsors.

As one of the dealers has already noted a thread in any particular forum drops down the page pretty quickly. Don`t see a one time new product announce in one forum,as competing with banner ads at top of every page.

Dealers with CPF members offers etc. are perhaps different, they expect to see an immediate increase in sales and profit from an announcement and will see benefit even from paying a one time payment.

Just my 2 cents.

Adam

CiTY

Enlightened

I am a little uncomfortable about just advertisers being able to post specials. I am all for banners for paid advertisers. It just seems this is resticting competitive market conditions and increases the cost of our "hobby" to it's own members. My one cents in opinion.

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
LED-FX said:
Some manufacturers, dealers and observers may only wish to inform people of new product once, as part of a publicty campaign or for public relations.

~~This would still be advertising. And I seriously doubt it would be "only once".

These products may not be entirely aimed at the flashlight market or they may feel that the largely U.S. demographic of CPF would not warrant a banner campaign.

~~That's unfortunate... it's still advertising.

They may be manufacturers not equipped to supply to retail customers but nonetheless wish to infrom the public at large of their new product while distribution channels are appointed.

That is what Buy/Sell/Trade is for. Obviously, someone who fits this description is not dealing commercially.

Banning all but paying advertisers from making overt product announcements I fear may have a couple of negative effects.

~~... Maybe so, but I doubt it. Already, almost everyone has jumped on the bannerad wagon. And anyone who begrudges CPF the funds to maintain itself, is really not someone we want to deal with, is it?

One, the greatest danger, is that manufacturers will no longer feel their input is valued at CPF, a loss to everyone.

~~I beg to differ. The manufacturers who have been doing business on CPF for quite some time now know better and it would be obvious to any newcomers that that is not the case.

The other is less scrupulous `advertisers` will employ other tactics to place their product. Spurious reccomendation`s in Cheers and Jeers for instance.

~~This will not be allowed. Moderators will be deleting posts and topics.

Perhaps the rules could be adjusted allowing manufacturers a single new product announcement thread, allowing them to announce a new product and answer any questions from CPF members.Beyond that their are moderators available and authorised to remove multiple announcements or spamming across the board.

~~Looks like David partially agrees with you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif As he said, I will be able to look at this a little better when I'm done with jury duty. My mind is pretty much mush at night when I get home and thinking is painful. My last day of jury duty should be next Monday.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Adam... thank you for your input. CPF is the the unique and awesome community it is because for the most part, the members have built it. The features and rules and forums etc etc have all been because of input from members. It may not be perfect and exactly the way some of you want it, but y'all gotta admit... it's pretty damn close. We will only continue to grow from here... and what you all have to say does matter... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LED-FX

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Some manufacturers, dealers and observers may only wish to inform people of new product once, as part of a publicty campaign or for public relations.

~~This would still be advertising. And I seriously doubt it would be "only once".

[/ QUOTE ]

Once without paying is all they get with good moderation or the jury of CPF members looking at someone trying to constantly push the same product.

[ QUOTE ]
These products may not be entirely aimed at the flashlight market or they may feel that the largely U.S. demographic of CPF would not warrant a banner campaign.

~~That's unfortunate... it's still advertising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its still LED related and if its new myself and many others would like to know about it.

[ QUOTE ]
They may be manufacturers not equipped to supply to retail customers but nonetheless wish to infrom the public at large of their new product while distribution channels are appointed.

That is what Buy/Sell/Trade is for. Obviously, someone who fits this description is not dealing commercially.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite the opposite was thinking about large manufacturing concerns developing product aimed at the consumer market. They run factories not mail order.

[ QUOTE ]
Banning all but paying advertisers from making overt product announcements I fear may have a couple of negative effects.

~~... Maybe so, but I doubt it. Already, almost everyone has jumped on the bannerad wagon. And anyone who begrudges CPF the funds to maintain itself, is really not someone we want to deal with, is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Calm down, Calm Down not getting at you or the idea of banner ads. Almost everyone who was here already you mean, its a barrier to entry for anyone new though.

[ QUOTE ]
One, the greatest danger, is that manufacturers will no longer feel their input is valued at CPF, a loss to everyone.

~~I beg to differ. The manufacturers who have been doing business on CPF for quite some time now know better and it would be obvious to any newcomers that that is not the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr Gonz might disagree :) but got to encourage manufacturers to come here and find out it is a worthwhile place to invest in, you and I both know it is, but a passing PR secretary from Korea may not readily gain that impression.

Last thing we need is CPF to turn into an exclusive club or like a magazine that has most of its editorial edited by its advertisers.

[ QUOTE ]
The other is less scrupulous `advertisers` will employ other tactics to place their product. Spurious reccomendation`s in Cheers and Jeers for instance.

~~This will not be allowed. Moderators will be deleting posts and topics.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is something to be aware of and sometimes hard to spot but ceratinly calls for a big Jeer if anyone is caught doing it.

[ QUOTE ]
~~Looks like David partially agrees with you... As he said, I will be able to look at this a little better when I'm done with jury duty. My mind is pretty much mush at night when I get home and thinking is painful. My last day of jury duty should be next Monday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Sasha, you know everyone holds yourself and DavidW in the highest esteem, its a heck of a lot of work you put in here and sometimes we don`t say thanks enough, but your much much appreciated.Mebbe a day off between jury duty and herding the cats here ;-)

Adam

darkgear.com

Enlightened

The price of banner advertising on CPF is very very very reasonable. Anyone wanting to make a product announcement would be foolish not to just pay the monthly fee and post whatever they want. It benefits the CPF and no doubt any annoucement of any product would lead to sales that would cover the cost of advertising here.

Best regards,
Randy

Greta

Flashaholic

Thanks Randy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, I don't think Chris from flashlightlens.com will mind if I share this email with you all:

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks - Believe or not, I can actually tell from my sales that you switched it. This banner thing is COOL.

Thanks!!!!!
Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

It works guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm thinking of a one time small fee for a single post for specials. Many single posts are possible as long as the fee is paid for each one. Obviously an established manufacturer, distributor or dealer can pay for 10 years of ad space and not sweat it. This is aimed at the little guy just starting out and just wants to put a feeler out.

Anything free can be abused. So the one free pass option will not be considered.

The one time fee can be used by manufacturers and dealers big and small to introduce themselves. This area is possible for a one free pass. I'm still mulling it over.

We'll let the marketing department of manufacturers decide how they want to represent their product on CPF. Individual members are still allowed to post their latest find.

We will have to ban advertising from non-paying advertisers. This is to protect the interests and investment of those who do pay. No way around that. But I'm working on a way to help out the little guy just starting out.

Don't worry. Just because it's not out in the open doesn't mean we haven't considered it. I'm still working on this gray area.

Unfortunately CPF will have to be an exclusive club from now on in order for it to continue to exist. But I'm working on different levels of support so no one is entirely shut out.

Albany Tom

Enlightened

Dave, Sasha,

I have no idea why you guys put so much work and thought into this thing, but thanks.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, after reading all the posts I think that the banner thing of products related to the forum is a good move, I think is fair for the ones sponsoring our forum to get business from it.

A suggestion, please inform all the companies that usually post here of the new rules so their posts don`t get deleted instantaneously, making them feel not welcome, and if they do post an ad, a polite mail with the advertising options while the thread gets temporary locked or something, and if they don`t agree then sorry but "business is business", thread deleted and future ad posts deleted also.

Another question. How will you diferentiate between modder and manufacturer? I am thinking about CNC Dan, or McGizmo for example, they sometimes make flashlights or parts from scratch, will they be modders or manufacturers?

I think this business practice is good, just be very clear on the policy so there are no misunderstandings and frictions among members.

keep up the good work!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Alex

Ps. Please NO popups also!!!

Greta

Flashaholic

Thanks for your input Alex. As you can imagine, I'm sure, we're already on top of everything. We really did try not to just throw this together without any thought... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Let's try not to make this more complicated than it is, guys. We can sit here all day and discuss "if's"... If a bullfrog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ***. Leave the technical crap to us and know that we either have ways of dealing with situations or we are working on it.

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea why you guys put so much work and thought into this thing, but thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea? Really?!? How about so that you all have a place to come to? ... You're welcome, Tom... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast

Personally, I just don't see the conflict between "free" ads in posts, and paid ads in banners. The banners are so much more visible.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's been called the 'CPF effect'. Someone makes a suggestion of what to buy and where then suddenly someone is out of stock of that particular item. It doesn't take a rocket scientest to realize that it's free advertizing.

lightnix

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
DavidW said:
CPF email addresses are never for sale. But some have been culled from the board in the past. Mostly from the profiles. Sometimes from spiders. If someone has figured out how to get them out of threads I wouldn't be surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, fair enough. My apologies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif