Batteries: What is your inventory?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's taken some time and back and forth ordering/re-ordering to get the right size ammo cases from Cabela's so without further adieu...

Ammocases1.jpg

They stack perfectly even though they are different sized cases so a definite plus.

Ammocases2.jpg

The smoked color is attractive but still translucent enough to be able to tell what is inside. Right now I have 1 AA case for NiMH and NiCads and another AA case for alkies and lithiums (that I will probably never use) and 2 other AA cases for future battery storage. I have the same arrangement for AAA cases.

Ammocases5AA.jpg

The AA cases fit perfectly and I cannot ask for more than that. They are the WSSM size from Cabela's and they hold 50 rounds, um I mean 50 AA batteries.

Ammocases3AAA.jpg

The AAA size was a bear to find the right size. 2 previous orders yielded cases with too small of a grid so the batteries wouldn't fit all the way in and were very tight. The second .38/.357 size SHOULD have worked but for some odd reason it was a tighter fit than the previous .222/.223 size cases. Well this 3rd case size will accept a AAA finally as it is a .45/.454 Casull and almost perfect height wise, just the grid is too big and there is a sloppy wobble with the AAAs in there. They are still secure and won't fall out of the grid with the lid closed, but it would have been nicer for a tighter fit like the AA case has.

Ammocases4AAA.jpg

Just a close-up to illustrate what I mean. If there is a better fit for AAA they probably don't sell it in these nice smoked grey cases at Cabela's. I am done looking.... for now.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also no more guessing if a cell was charged or discharged. Spent or discharged cell I keep upside down so there is no question. :)

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the obligatory group money shot! AAs to the left and AAAs to the right.

Ammocases6group.jpg

Pricing for these are not bad though as the AA WSSM case is $2.99 each and the AAA .45/.454 Casull size case is $2.49 each. Not much more than these cheapo wimpy 4 or 8 cell packs that I must have dozens of that I will now sell off.

battery-holder-lg-sq.jpg

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are a little loose, but beggers can't be choosers at this point lol. Either they were way too tight, or like this a bit loose. If there is a size in a case like this that will fit AAAs better, now is the time to speak up.

I'm done for now with the order/re-order process. Here's hoping I get re-imbursed for the cases I sent back to Cabela's.

Last edited:

Slazmo

Enlightened
Man o' man I thought I was a battery junky?!?

Anyhow I have my own assortment for a SHTF situation only really, I just recharge most of my alkalines and use whatever I need. Lithium's are mainly in the smaller units like 3AAA torches that need a long run time at night while fishing / camping etc.

I keep my batteries in their original packet however trim the top and the sides and staple the plastic to the cardboard and write the expiry in red nikko on the back quiet large and have the longest expiry at the bottom of the box and the closest expiry at the top of the box. I also keep the box zip tied and have a lot of silicone moisture sachets in there to keep moisture at bay...

Anyhow here's to 2012 and when SHTF we'll all be set lol ;P

Batteries will be the new commodity ha ha...