Battery Storage

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Niconical: I like your custom wood holder setup, good idea and neater than mine! And yes I have been shopping at CS, I also got my BC-900 from there. Good prices and some decent stuff. Do I see some li-ion/li-poly packs, possibly phone batteries?

alfreddajero: You can get those tubes seperate from Fenix-store if you like them, they even do multipacks of them. They are also completely watertight and almost indestructable.

Niconical

Enlightened
Do I see some li-ion/li-poly packs, possibly phone batteries?

Erm, I don't actually know what a li-ion/li-poly pack is, so I don't suppose I have one. Nearest I can think you mean are the packs at the back right, they're 10xCR123A primaries from battery station, same as the dark blue cells in the rack first from the left.

Yes, they are mobile phone batteries at the front. I find that having to charge a mobile (and wait for it to finish if you want a full charge) is at the very least positioned in the top 10 on the "list of irritating and inconvenient things to have to do", so I have those spares and an older unused phone which takes the same battery on my charging table. Same deal as the the rest, one for charging goes to the table, fresh one goes in phone, never have to plug it in or wait.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks man for letting me know that, might have to get a few indeed. Niconical, that is nice man.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Niconical-

I like your FIFO box -- First In, First Out. I've built a few for AA, AAA, C and D that we use all the time.
I like the idea too, and it reminds me of the days when heavy duty and super heavy duty cells were sold individually from gravity-powered battery dispensers in shops next to the cash register. I've seen similar devices for holding drink cans in fridges. Are battery version available these days? Sub_Umbra, have you posted about your ones?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Sub_Umbra, have you posted about your ones?
Yeah, but no pics. Up until now I've just put medium density foam (pre-drilled for the cells) into Tupperware boxes and just always take them out in sequence. I also did one for AA NiCDs for a nightclub's body mics. As before everything goes in and out in order, but with one small difference -- used cells are returned to their place button up and I condition them at home periodically. It's been a roaring succcess with the sound men.

The only problem with the FIFO boxes that I've built is that they are somewhat limited to how many cells may be rotated realistically. That's what I like about Niconical's solution -- I could build a roughly vertical rack that could be quite high and accomodate quite a few times more cells than my boxes will hold. I've been thinking about this FIFO box limitation for years and this is a great solution. In at the top...and out at the bottom. I love it. I have a few projects on the short list and then I'm going to do it.

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally combined my primary and rechargeable batteries into one common case.

P9260022.jpg

It's a Stanley 23 Compartment organizer. Got it at Home Depot for $5.95.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice man, you might as well get another, and to let you know they seem to be cheaper at wallyworld and the spacing is adjustable as well.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
does that have the cheaper hinges and snaps on it?
I only get the ones with the free swinging hinges and snaps. They tend to outlast the cheaper designs for me. I wish plano would make a box the right dimension for AA batteries the compartment spacing is wrong on both of mine.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice man, you might as well get another, and to let you know they seem to be cheaper at wallyworld and the spacing is adjustable as well.
They only sell Plano brand organizers at the wallyworld's here in Canada.
The larger ones cost more than the Stanley one I got at HD.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
does that have the cheaper hinges and snaps on it?
I only get the ones with the free swinging hinges and snaps. They tend to outlast the cheaper designs for me. I wish plano would make a box the right dimension for AA batteries the compartment spacing is wrong on both of mine.
The lid on the Stanley one is removable. The lid has "U" clasps that wrap around plastic rods on the base to form the hinge.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
will have to check it out then even though the plano boxes are cheaper the other box shown earlier I would have to order and pay shipping which I am not that interested in doing yet.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I finally combined my primary and rechargeable batteries into one common case.

P9260022.jpg

It's a Stanley 23 Compartment organizer. Got it at Home Depot for $5.95.
I just stumbled across a box very similar to this one the difference being the two dividers near when it opens on each side are not available there is just three sections there one is shallow for the *handle*.
The good news is it only cost $3 at Biglots so I took a chance on it.

Latest posts