Battery stuck in E01

Magnus1959

Newly Enlightened
Can't seem to get my battery out of my Fenix E01. It still works but won't be able to replace the battery when it goes dead. I did go ahead and buy a new E01 but it would be a shame to have to toss an old friend. Any trick to getting these out?

njet212

Enlightened
Sorry to hear that. Have you tried to pull it out using something like long-nose pliers ?

Btw what kind battery do you use on it? Is it an alkaline?

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like an alkaline cell that's swelled inside the body...you could try pliers but you's have to be careful not to damage the internal threads. I'd try spraying some silicone lube in the body tube around the battery and seeing if you can bang it on a piece of wood (so as not to damage the aluminum)

Magnus1959

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear that. Have you tried to pull it out using something like long-nose pliers ?

Btw what kind battery do you use on it? Is it an alkaline?

Yeah I did try that. Not much to grab hold of and I started to burger it up. I think the battery is a Duracell.

Marmaduke

Newly Enlightened
How about trying something like drilling a 1/8" hole in the end of the battery then screwing in a 1/4" wood screw for several turns then pulling on the screw with pliers? I don't think the battery will explode or anything if it is alkaline. Hope that works, it might have already leaked though.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could try wrapping the end of the tube with a rubber band, do the same to the battery, and then use two channel-lock pliers (vise grips) to pull em apart.
EDIT: I forgot that the E01 had a different configuration than the E05 and the battery didn't stick out. Nevermind.

Last edited:

bansuri

Enlightened
Try rapping the tail end of the body with a block of wood while holding the light. Watch your fingers!
Or attach it to the end of something that you can bang on a desk or whatever with the light overhanging the edge of the surface you are hitting it on. The light tube will come to a stop but the battery's momentum will try to carry it out of the tube.

scout24

Flashaholic
Magnus- If you have no luck, PM me for my address and I'll be happy to get it out for you. :) Well worth saving.

Sopchoppy

Newly Enlightened
Put some goggles on and drill that ***** out of there.

That's what I had to do to a Maglite C cell that Duracells leaked, corroded to the battery tube. Took a 1" drill bit to get it out. Then had to use sandpaper to clean out the corrosion. Surprisingly, the light still worked while the corroded batteries were still in it.

timbo114

Enlightened
Remove the head and put the body/battery in your freezer overnight.
Maybe the cold will help to contract the swelling of the cell and crystalize the acid so you can twist it loose.

afdk

Newly Enlightened
Don't use Alkaline cells in the flashlights you HOLD DEAR! I've had a couple of lights useless after Alkaline cells leaking. Use Lithium, 1.5v cells, it's worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JermsMalibu

Newly Enlightened
I had the same thing happen with the mother-in-law's E01. I couldn't grab the battery with anything because it was so far recessed in the light body. I just slammed it face down (the open end) onto a dinner tray till the battery came out to that distance. Then I slammed it softer at an angle (still using the in-line angle of the light) on the tray till enough battery stuck out to grab it with pliers. Then you just clean up the inside and stick a new battery in there. Take out the spring at the bottom while doing that too...it gets a lot of junk under it that hinders the function of the light (won't turn on or will be sporadic until you clean that up too). Anywho, good luck. Keep us posted.

Magnus1959

Newly Enlightened
LOL I've taken the head off this thing, beat on it with a hammer, picked at it with pliers and pics and froze it in the freezer. I put the head back on and it's still working.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
LOL I've taken the head off this thing, beat on it with a hammer, picked at it with pliers and pics and froze it in the freezer. I put the head back on and it's still working.

Then it might be a magic battery that will last forever. Keep it in the light!

If it's not magic I would do like Sgt. LED suggests.

Magnus1959

Newly Enlightened
It is with great regret and sadness that I announce the passing of Lil Purple. We knew it was going to be a risky surgery and with a series of three consecutive size drill bits, I was unable to remove the obstruction. We laid Lil purple to rest and opened up a brand new gold E01.

Latest posts