Battery stuck in E01

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should have tried a really strong magnet. I think I read some others that had the same problem and managed to pull it out with a magnet.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're sure it's a Duracell, you can make them replace your E01.

From their website:

DURACELL BATTERY GUARANTEE

If you're not completely satisfied with a Duracell product, contact us.
All of our batteries are guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship. Should any device be damaged by these batteries due to such defects, we will either repair or replace it if it is sent with the batteries. Send with postage prepaid to:
Duracell
Berkshire Corporate Park
Bethel, CT, 06801
Att: Consumer Dept.

Magnus1959

Newly Enlightened
Should have tried a really strong magnet. I think I read some others that had the same problem and managed to pull it out with a magnet.
There is not a magnet strong enough. Got a pretty good hold on it with needle nose pliers and that could not pull it out.

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
I'm presuming that the head doesn't screw off this model allowing you to push the battery out...?

loanshark

Enlightened
Get a D size battery holder and wire up that head with a switch. Should make a great long running hurricane light.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sucks about your E01... I would take Derfyled's advice and get Duracell to replace the light for you. Before drilling, I would have tried wrapping some wire or cord and securing it to the head end of the light, then spinning the whole thing like a sling until your battery flew out. I've actually done this and works wonders. Centrifugal force is sweet.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before drilling, I would have tried wrapping some wire or cord and securing it to the head end of the light, then spinning the whole thing like a sling until your battery flew out. I've actually done this and works wonders. Centrifugal force is sweet.

The head comes off when you change the battery, but this could work if you tied something to the keychain hole on the tail, maybe even swing it and hit the ground, it'll damage the body, but if it's just going to be thrown out anyway, what do you have to lose? It'd be a whole new level of torture testing for the E01.

BarryG

Enlightened
Have you tried a penetrating oil like WD-40? maybe a good overnight soak could help free the batt up? Or you could drill a small hole in the battery and run a small screw into it to help get a better grip to pull it out, maybe a dry wall screw or something a little smaller?

Good luck,
Barry

The Fred

Newly Enlightened
Put the thing in the microwave for a couple of hours.:duh2: If that doesn't work you can try shooting it out.

Sorry about that, it looks like there has been too many sensible suggestions already!:green:

I had a similar problem with a flashlight of mine. I wrapped it in a towel and held it it a mole-grip and whacked it over the edge of a table.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patience and finesse can go a long way in those situations. I would try the WD40 and swigning it for as long as your arm can tolerate. Banging it upside down can also work, but I'd do it this way: wrap some electrical tape around the body, grab it it vise grip plyers and bang the plyers on some piece of wood (this will leave plenty of opening for the battery to come out). Be patient and do it for a whole week while watching TV if need be. If all else fails, perhaps drilling a small hole on the bottom of the tube and pushing it out (better that nothing).

jk037

Newly Enlightened
One of my bargain-basement lights - the Black Cat HM-01 - suffered a battery leakage recently. (Last time I lend a half-decent light to the Mrs, told her not to use crappy alkalines... )

Anyway, the damn thing was stuck fast. The HM-01 fortunately has both removable head and tailcap (although the tailcap has to be unscrewed using 2 pairs of pliers and some insulating tape to protect the finish) but I still had to clamp the tube in a vice and bash the damn battery out using a hammer and an M8 bolt as a drift!

Given how solidly my battery was jammed I don't think the OP would have managed to extract his own stuck battery using centrifugal force, tapping the tube against something etc. Since his E01 (presumably - never owned one) doesn't have a removable tailcap, I reckon the only chance would have been a very precise drilling operation, but you'd need to use a good sturdy pillar drill, clamp the light body solidly in precise alignment with the drill bit, drill at a low speed, and pray to as many gods as you can think of.

(Oh, and because that poxy alkaline had corroded the inside of the tube, I had to make a small honing tool to clean it out so that a new NiMh battery would fit!)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Unfortunate that I came to this thread a bit late.

I reload ammunition, and have a kinetic bullet puller that would have had a very good shot at getting the cell out. If this situation comes up for anyone, I would be happy to take a crack at it.