Batterystation RCR123 900mAh problem

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a DSD charger and 8 x RCR123 900mAh from Batterystation. I ordered them from Ralights with my new Clicky, thought they were best as Henry sells them...

Well, either they are crap or I got faulty ones. They were around 3,8 Volts when I got them. I put one in a Clicky, the low levels work, but the burst only works 5 seconds and then the light gives an error. So, I put one in a Dereelight C2H, which is on high, doesn't work at all... :thinking:

So, I decide to charge them first, they come off the charger with barely 4.0 Volt, not too much I think. The Dereelight starts on high, for exactly 5 seconds, goes out again. Low levels work. On the Clicky, Burts works once, the second time I get an error again. :sick:

I tried 4 cells, than I wasn't in the mood anymore, all the same. What's going on with these cells??? I should have sticked to the AW I think! :sigh:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
RCR16340s are supposed to be 4.15-4.2v fresh off the charger. If the cells are measuring 3.8-4.0v before you use them, when you turn the flashlight on, the load will make the voltage sag down to 3.2v or less and that's when the protection circuit starts cutting in. Realistically Li-On cells are pretty much drained out below 3.7v and its potentially damaging to drain them below 3.0v.

Its best to always top up your Li-On cells asap after using them to keep them performing at their peak. There's no need to completely drain them like Ni-Cd cells before recharging.

Also bear in mind that although these cells are rated at 900mah, they are most likely around 650mah just like AW's.

Last edited:

andrewnewman

Enlightened
The BatteryStation RCR123s are (usually) not too bad. They aren't close to 900mAh in my experience but that's another matter. These are LiCoO2 chemistry and are fully charged around 4.17-4.20V. 3.8V is pretty well depleted.

As your DSD charger is new, is it possible that the issue is with the charger? Batterys should come off of the charger well above 4.0V when fully charged.

If you have a DVM (digital volt-ohm meter) measure the open circuit voltage of the two charging bays on the DSD charger. They should be above 4.2 (~4.25-4.3v). If they both are, then try charging just *one* battery until the charger terminates and then measure the "fresh off the charger" voltage...

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, forgot to mention one CRITICAL point: if you're going to use Li-Ons/IMR cells and a charger. You must have a DVM or Digital Voltage Meter. Without one its like playing Russian Roulette with your cells.

I've never liked DSD chargers, their reliability has been questionable. It appears that someone else in this particular foum also has issues with their DSD charger. I got rid of mine a week after getting it. I'm only using the Ultrafire WF-139 and its good enough for me. While some forum users discount anything other than the PILA IBC, I reckon the WF-139 is good enough for the serious flashlight hobbyist PROVIDED you always monitor the cells when they are charging to make sure they do not come off the charger at more than 4.20v.

Its said that the earlier versions of the WF-139 were overcooking cells to more than 4.20v, but both my WF-139s have never charged any of my 18650s, 16340s, 17670s, 17500s and 18500s to more than 4.19v. 90% of the time my cells are coming off at 4.17-4.18v and settling down to 4.15-4.17v after 30mins.

A great thread to read about the care of Li-On/IMR cells would be mdocod's Li-on guide.

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
The trustfire charger is good + will fit RCR123A correctly .
Model TR-001 , + Does not over charge , I have accidentally left the charger on overnight with 18650 and RCR123A batteries and they were 4.22v when I took them of the charger in the morning .

I was thinking about buying another one , but went with a new charger from KD just for something different .

But def should be on your list of chargers to own , the Trustfire TR-001 is possibly one of the most underrated and least considered chargers , and it is just so much better than a lot of the other rubbish out there like the DSD [ Which I own ] .

If your going to buy a sub $10USD charger , seriously look at the TR-001 , Im so glad I did .
I currently own the WF-139 / DSD / and Trustfire TR-001 , which has become my No1 go to charger for RCR123A and 18650 charging .

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an AW139 as well and charges two cells with that one. They come off at 4,12 Volt, but the problem is mainly the same, the C2H works 20 seconds on high before shuting off...

If that's normal behaviour at 3,8 Volt, either my AW cells are faulty, because my lights work normally even below 3,5 Volt or I don't want to use Li-Ion! Hey, at 3,8 Volt they are supposed to be more than half full! Why would we need 900 mAh if we can use only 200mAh of them?

I see that there is no solution here, I'll send the cells and teh charger back, already ordered AW and eveyrthing will be fine! :sigh:

Flyhigh

Newly Enlightened
I have a sinilar experience with Battery Station RCR's. They work for a short while when using a Clicky on high (not burst) but then the light steps down after just a few minutes. AW's cells don't, they provide juice for a full hour or so on high before step down.

I've recently bought four BS batteries from LightHound (Wonderful shop with great service!) and they all behave the same, doesn't matter with charger I use.

Cheers

K