Bay area get together.

jpeg

Enlightened
Re: Bay area get together when?

Hi all!
Yeah, great night!

I did get some pictures, but my internet connection was down all day.

I did some photoshop work to make Jim look more like a wom... I mean... to bring up the lightness of the "dark" shots... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Really I have only a couple shots of the group, and one of Daniel and his "integrating sphere."

I tried a shot of unnerv's green laser, but the pix he posted are way better, so I won't bother...

I believe Daniel got a good pic of some lights on the table, but he might need to clear the shot with Don before posting... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

It was great meeting all you folks that I saw for the first time, and dang that was a diverse assortment of cool illumination tools (that I'm not supposed to talk about...)

jpeg

Enlightened

Aaaaahhhh server access... Finally...

Let's start with Daniel and his (oh so popular) kitty litter box integration sphere... As you can see he was kept busy most of the night with requests for lumen readings on everybody's favorite flashlights...
DanielsMagicBox.jpg

Here we have the "light stunt" where the flash went off, and blew the effect. Paul a.k.a. "pc_light"( from Singapore) was gracious enough to take the picture, so he's obviously not in the shot. It is however easier to tell what people look like in this one...
LightsOn.jpg

Of course at this point the batteries in my camera died, so we wouldn't have gotten the next shot if it weren't for Ho-Yin who busted out some new AAA Duracell's to save the day...
CPFers.jpg

These are trained professionals, don't try this at home...
This one was seriously modified in Photoshop. The original shot was black with a few white streaks so I did what I could to save it.

I believe in order of apperance from left to right it goes something like this...
top row: Jim(aka Dallas), Cindy and Wayne, Eric, Roger, Don, Patrick, Kevin
bottom: Daniel, Ho-Yin, John, and Hong...

MagSoft.jpg

Now here we have our wonderful host subtly hinting that it is time to leave...
Someone had the bright idea to mount Eric's full size magMod on Patrick's airsoft pistol... Of course at that point we HAD to try it...

That's all for my photos(that didn't TOTALLY suck)
I was too busy running around chatting and playing with all the fun toys to take more. (This happened last time too!)
Thanks everyone, it was a blast!
See ya all next time!
-J

pc_light

Enlightened

Hello Bay Area CPF'ers:

Thanks for letting this visiting newbie crash the get together. Wow, what an assortment of flashlights, all that light therapy helped me get over the jetlag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif.

It was nice putting a face with some of those familiar CPF names.

Unnerv - a great host, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

JPEG - nice job saving my underexposed photography. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

For those Bay Area CPF'ers who missed it, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

pc_light

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
unnerv said:
Here is the rc video that I showed last night for any of you that missed it or wanted a closer look.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one - what about adding some flashlights to the little 4x4s and doing such by night then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

unnerv

Enlightened

I had one for a while with led headlights and tail lights, but they didn't last long with the abuse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

I had a great time too. Really nice people showed up for this gathering. I saw some really unique lights as well as new ones that I'd only read about.

I learned NOT to take a light meter to a meeting like this. It can give me an ineriority complex to realise that that my brightest light was not even as bright as the AVERAGE one there. On the other hand, all of us shared a lot of small lights shared as well, so one did not NEED a big gun to play. It was fun to do a countdown on the bigger lights, as they drop 1 or two lumens per second due to heat and battery drain. Typical countdown: 205 lumens. 202 200 198 197 196....

The evening started with food graciously provided by our host. The Hawaiian fare was delicious. Not a lot of flashlight talk at this point.
gather4.jpg

The get-together was somewhat unstructured. There was a lot of milling around as we shared our toys.
gathering1.jpg

gathering2.jpg

This table started out as the "give away table". Then Don (McGizmo) brought out his bag 'o' toys and the table became much more interesting. See the blank spots on the black mat? Don removed the ones NOT for publication.
gather3.jpg

I didn't take a lot of pictures because some of the folk were camera shy and I respect their right to avoid the lens. I'm looking forward to the next one already.

Daniel

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

Second pic from the bottom - great shot of Dallas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Awright you guys, so how come I'm not hearing anything about the vaunted 3LED that embroiled JimH/DallasA in all of this? Where's a picture?

daloosh

unnerv

Enlightened

you know, we looked at it for a few minutes but there was so much more impressive stuff, it kinda faded into the background. It does look just like the pics that were posted in the other thread. I think Don got a closer look at it than I did.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I saw *the* light and it certainly looked like the battery tube were kin to the Arc AAA sample that was placed on the table. The tabs for the lanyard were different in profile and height but that isn't conslusive one way or the other either. Frankly, if the head were a single LED of the same configuration as the Arc AAA then there might be cause for mor stink. The fact that this head has 3 LED's identified this light to me as a new breed of its own. JMHO.

DallasA

Enlightened

ROFLMAO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I have been away for a few days tied to a post and desk. Wow!
I need to really fire the cloning department. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif They seem to do a better job on flashlights then they do on my double or I need a serious facelift and hit the gym more then once a day.

Have you ever had one of those days were you woke up and thought, " Did I miss something because I sure did not feel that" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif LOL

To be serious I am sorry for missing out. Please email me on the next get together and I will be more then glad to attend, bring some flashlights for give away, and be available for photo session, only if the photographer will send me a poster with Robert Uhrich. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gifJimH do you mind if I come over and use your computer again tonight? LOL

kubolaw

Enlightened

Is it heresy for me to say that even with all the luminaries (people and products) shown in gadget_lover's pics, the one that makes me the sorriest that I missed the event is the Hawaiian food picture at the top?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Well, maybe not really (there sure are some intriguing-looking lights there) but it is still torture to see something like this so close to dinner time.

John

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
JollyRoger said:
Too bad, Darell. You missed out! (again!) hahahahahha!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Grrr. And as usual, no consolation prize for the loser. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dallas,

You're welcome in my living room any time. I've given up trying to catch you - you are just too quick. Glad to see you still have a sense of humor about this whole thing - I sure do.

After Moday's meeting, I think we have at least a few people who are believers or, at least will attest to the fact that
Dallas is not that attractive of a man or a woman that needs a shave.

We will be sure to invite you to the next meet. That is assuming that we have a place to meet - I just may kill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif unnerve before we get together again. He's almost got me sucked into another expensive hobby.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Hey Darell, why don't you start scouting for a place that's accessable from the south bay and pennensula as well as from your place. I'm pretty central, so its just as difficult for me to fight traffic whether going north, south, east or west.

Daniel

unnerv

Enlightened

JimH just let me know when you wanna come out to a field and give it a try...you know your dying to. I'll sucker you into this one yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

I actually had the courage to visit a few web sites yesterday, but I managed to tear myself away before anything expensive happened. Is green gas the way to go?

Damn you! damn you! damn you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

unnerv

Enlightened

Green gas is very hard on the replicas. If you are looking at pistols Western Arms is the way to go. They are also more expensive. They are designed for the 134a gas but will shoot with green gas in them, they just break sooner...never fear though there are reinforced replacement parts to keep your wallet empty.

If you would like to try one before you buy, I can lend you my 4" SVI replica for you to play with. I bought it used from another CPF'r who had broken it, and rebuilt it so it was functional again. It will give you a good feel for what they are capable of. PM me if you wanna try one for a couple of weeks. They are great for plinking cans in your garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif