Bay area get together.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Bay area get together when?

[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
OK, I'll bite. What's green gas and why is it harder on the guns?

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea. I'm a total newbie to this hobby/addiction (like I really need another one) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. You may have to wait for Patrick to get back into town next week - I don't know if he is monitoring CPF while he is away.

unnerv

Enlightened

sorry was up in reno for the weekend. Basically there are two main types of gas, HFC134A and "green". They are both compressed liquids which convert to gas when allowed to expand. HFC134A or "japanese" gas is the same stuff that most Airduster computer cleaning cans and airhorns use and is about 85 psi. "green" gas, also known as "top" gas and "taiwanese" gas is closer in composition to propane and is flamible. It is not as environmentally frendly. My suspicion is it earned the name "green" because the cans it comes in are almost always green and white. "green" gas is closer to 140 psi. The reason that there is two types of gas are mainly two fold. In Japan where most of the Airsoft pioneering is going on, "green" gas is not allowed because of the environmental issue, so they design their pistols around the 134A. Since it has a much lower pressure, their system is very efficient, and if used with 134a very robust with little breakage or wear. The Taiwanese manufacturers use less efficent gas systems in their pistols and therefore require the higher pressure of "green" gas. "green" gas is very popular because it is cheaper, and the taiwanese pistols are usually considerably cheaper also.

All of my replicas are japanese, because the quality and parts availablility is much better than the taiwanese ones. Normally "green" gas has too much pressure for the highly efficent japanese airsoft pistols and will cause breakage. I have replaced these parts in my pistols with stronger replacements so I can use higher pressure gas. My airsoft pistol pictured with the tigerlight with 134a will shoot around 280-290 feet per second, using "green" I can shoot at closer to 370 fps which means a flatter trajectory as well as a little more range.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions about this stuff.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

Patrick,

So what you are saying is that if we hook up an ignition source, we can get a great increase in muzzle velocity with green gas, but for maybe only one shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Why don't airsoft guns use CO2 like CO2 pellet guns.

unnerv

Enlightened

JimH that sounds about right. Spectacular for one shot, not so good after that. The reason that airsoft does not use CO2 is that unregulated it is about 800 psi. To get a regulator in there would make the magazines too expensive with very little room for the ammo, cartridge and regulator. There are a couple of CO2 conversion kits where a remote regulator with a hose is attached to the magazine, but then you loose the ability to have multiple mags. Each mag holds gas and BBs so you can do quick swap outs.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

I apoligize to the viewers of this forum for the fact that I have taken it off track - but I figure, since it's just us locals, that you will give me a break.

Okay patrick, you da man. I don't have time to get into a lengthly research/education project like I usually do. You haven't sucked me into the whole combat simulation airsoft scene, but you have got my attention.

Take your best shot at a recommendation - I put myself in your hands. Here's the situation - amongst my 4wd club, I have successfully vanquished all commers in the portable light department with my X990. Now it's time to open up a new arena. When we get back to camp from wheeling, there is time to kick back and relax before dinner. A little target practice would be a perfect activity, but we have a "no fire arms in camp" policy (that, of course, is limited to lethal fire arms). I need something as realistic as possible in order to suck in my "45 acp only" friends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif.

If I can't hook 'em with RC off road cars, I'll get them to blow their wallets on airsoft replicas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif. My friend has a love/hate relationship with his Kimber. He also owns an H&K 45. Anything close to these with realistic handling would be great. BTW, I think we can eliminate from consideration the one shot per gun "ignited green gas" option.

Also, is it better to purchase locally or go internet.

Jim

unnerv

Enlightened

If you are looking for pistols, Western Arms is by far the best company to go with. I would recommend Airsoft Extreme in San Jose. They are very are priced close to internet pricing (check http://www.airsoftextreme.com )and have excellent customer service. There is almost every imaginable variation on the 1911/2011 possible although they tend to come and go in waves which are available. As far as being realistic, I never had to read the instructions to break down my 1911 replicas as they are 90% the same in take down. Very cool. If you would like to meet down at Airsoft Extreme some saturday, I can introduce you to the guys, and point out some cool pistols. They will let you test fire them down there.

Here is a pic of my 3 SV Infinty 2011's

456inchWA.jpg

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

Patrick,

That sounds great. I'm out of town this weekend, but I'm free the following weekend. Whatever time is convienient for you is okay by me. Why don't you PM me, and we can get this discusion off the Bay Area get together thread.

Darkcobra

Enlightened
Re: Bay Area Airsoft Get Together?

Sorry guys, but I'm going to completly hijack this thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif. How about we have a Bay Area CPF airsoft game? Those interested in airsoft or currently playing airsoft can get together one day and play?!?!

unnerv

Enlightened

That would be really cool. Any idea on where to play? I have been playing mostly at Fort Ord and few games at Seqouia airsoft, but that is a long way to drive for some. It would be cool to find someplace where we could do some CQB, preferably in the dark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darkcobra

Enlightened

Unfortunately, we have lost our CQB facility a while back... Fort Ord would be the only place unless you know of any other local fields? A dark location would have been cool for us as we would be able to break out our cool lights.

unnerv

Enlightened

Since this shows up as Bay Area Get Together in the Latest Threads section and we have a new Get Together thread for August if you end up here by mistake looking for the August thread, here is a link to the current thread.

Dark Zero, maybe we should start a new thread to help avoid the confusion? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif