bench testing of incandecent soft start ckt

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi AWR
Re-Posted from wrong thread

is this the M6-Reg you are talking about
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=101677
?
Are you going to be providing this as a mod or as a set of plans (final parts list and diags ) by any chance as it seems just the ticket - 2x3 17500 drop in holder with soft start.
Tried following the post but not being totally technical - just an average bodger - got a bit lost and cannot tell what stage you are at. Hope I'm not asking too many questions that have already been covered somewhere !

andrewwynn said:
. . . (i.e. if the switch is 'on'.. can you interrupt power and will soft-start and such still work).
You do seem to have spotted the big question with this board for an M6 !

Thanks
Pete

andrewwynn said:
you could build one into the tailcap simlar to how i'm building my M6 regulator.. if you build the battery pack with a solid threaded rod top to bottom it brings the 'pos' back to the tailcap.. you can wire from the 'pos' side of the batteries with a wire past the batteries back to get power to the tailcap.. Winny would have to answer if you can keep the 'switch' hard wired so that you can use the tailcap connection to operate the light (i.e. if the switch is 'on'.. can you interrupt power and will soft-start and such still work).

The soft start should solve the problem with protected cells.. I would work out a solution with 2x3 17500 like my M6x6 pack i made.

-awr

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Again
? Will 2x3 17500 fit without tail mods and how close are you to something to fit on the side of a pack ? I take it using 2x3 R123 is needed to use a tail circuit ?
Cheers Pete

Originally Posted by andrewwynn
you could build one into the tailcap simlar to how i'm building my M6 regulator.. if you build the battery pack with a solid threaded rod top to bottom it brings the 'pos' back to the tailcap.. you can wire from the 'pos' side of the batteries with a wire past the batteries back to get power to the tailcap.. Winny would have to answer if you can keep the 'switch' hard wired so that you can use the tailcap connection to operate the light (i.e. if the switch is 'on'.. can you interrupt power and will soft-start and such still work).

The soft start should solve the problem with protected cells.. I would work out a solution with 2x3 17500 like my M6x6 pack i made.

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x3 17500 needs a minor modification to the tailcap, i did myself in minutes with hand-tools.. when i make my M6 pack i will make a replacement tail cap cup that will swap out so you won't have to mutilate your original.

I wouldn't bother with R123s.. why put in 15 WH when you can put in 24WH.. the 6-pack i made will run for like 40 minutes with the MN21 lamp!

The link to the soft-start was just that.. soft-start only.. not a regulator.. the regulator i will be making for M6 is more like this one: http://hotdriver.rouse.com

It will be a complete pack.. two-parts.. a drop-in battery pack with regulator attached and a replacement inner tail-cap cup.. to give that extra 1/4 inch needed to fit DOUBLE the battery capacity!

ps.. the M6 will run a WHOLE LOT cooler with this design.. it will not be putting out 22W of power into heating the battery packs (i've measured over 180F on a battery pack inside an M6!).

-awr

wquiles

Flashaholic
andrewwynn said:
2x3 17500 needs a minor modification to the tailcap, i did myself in minutes with hand-tools.. when i make my M6 pack i will make a replacement tail cap cup that will swap out so you won't have to mutilate your original.

-awr
Andrew,

I got some aluminum in the right diameter, so I will be using my mini-lathe to try and create a new cup for the tail cap so that we can experiement with it ;)

Will

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
will.,. sweet... i sent you the eMachineshop file, right?

I hope to have the kit in the works by May. (i can't work on it 'til nanos are mostly done).

-awr

wquiles

Flashaholic
andrewwynn said:
will.,. sweet... i sent you the eMachineshop file, right?

I hope to have the kit in the works by May. (i can't work on it 'til nanos are mostly done).

-awr
Yes, I have it, and I hope to start cutting the first prototype in the next couple of weeks ;)

I will keep you posted!

Will

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice! you can just hit the 'price' button on the file to see what they will cost to make like 100-200 of them for the full-run. it's pretty amazing actually.

-awr