BessieBenny's Budget LED (DX/KD etc) Flashlights Review Roundup (Part X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightbug

Enlightened
Re: BessieBenny's Budget LED (DX/KD etc) Flashlights Review Roundup (Part 10)

Romisen RC-G2 Q5 Vs. RC-G2 II Q5 :D

rcg2q5vsq5ii.jpg

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
single battery light costs: AAA $15 AA $50 ?? why so much?

Lots of super awsome $15 AAA lights.
AA lights seem to me would cost about the same, yet cost 3 or more times that of AAA lights.
Why?

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: single battery light costs: AAA $15 AA $50 ?? why so much?

Simple answer: Because people buy them.

I think psychologically, a AAA light is a "keychain light" that has more limited brightness and runtime due to the inherent limitations of the AAA cell (although these lights have certainly come a LONG way).

A AA based light can now be more powerful and have a repectable runtime, and has the advantages of using the one cell that has the most chemistries available in that form factor. The capacity is more than twice that of a AAA cell, but AA's are generally found at the exact same cost per cell. All of this leads consumers to view a AA based light as more of a "real" light, and hence, they are priced accordingly to what people will pay.

That said, you can find some perfectly decent $20 AA lights out there, as well as $40+ AAA based lights.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, I think you can find some nice simple AA light for for about the same. Or you can find some AAA lights for around $50 as well ;)

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just make sure the Single Cr123A runs Primaries . [ If thats what you want ]

Ultrafire 602C and A20 Don't , OK mine don't .

Retral

Newly Enlightened

Check this light out.. 3 programmable modes (AA) + Q5 emitter... for about $20:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16607

The description is wrong, dunno how it still is, people have been getting the 3 programmable mode version of this for months.

Last edited:

highseas

Newly Enlightened

BessieBenny, thank you very much for your very nice review of Akoray AA. I have the older, 6-mode version, and just ordered a 3-mode programmable version. Can't wait!

I have two quick questions which I hope you (and/or others) could answer:

1. is it safe to turn it on *continuously* on high? i notice that it gets warm (using 14500). Would it damage the light at all?

2 could you or someone else tell me how to make sense of "lux"? how do they compare to lumens? I think you mentioned that on high, Akoray AA is about 200 lumens.

3. Finally, if you have the time, I and probably many others would appreciate runtime graphs with AA and 14500 batteries. I would be interested in knowing how long the lowest low will last in particular. My very unscientific and unsystematic observation is that with mine, the low with AA is about 8 hours, and with 14500 it's about 14 hours (remember, though, mine is the older 6-mode, not the 3-mode programmable). Just FYI.

Thanks again, and I hope you and others are enjoying your Akoray as much as I am.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: DX X2000 focusable P4 - beamshots - stay away from this

If you have one of these with the sliding head, replace the metal ring/clip with a 20mm O-ring (DX sku 5678) and it will be much smoother in operation and less likely to move on its own.

a_62uv.jpg

Painkiller1009

Newly Enlightened

I figure I'll post this here also since there is alot of traffic on this thread and users with this light.

Well I just got my AKOray 103 in today and its not working right.
When I throw in a duracell AAA it doesn't light up at all, and with 10440 cell it just barely lights up.
I put the 10440s on the charger before using so they should be charged all the way (dont have a meter). The duracells are brand new.
When I mean barely light up I mean just a little. So little that you can look into the led itself.
Any thoughts?

BTW the 109a that I also received is working great.

Last edited:

djslik

Newly Enlightened
Akoray K-106 Questions

I just got my Akoray K-106 in today and I have a couple of questions.
1. It didn't come with an O-ring so what size O-ring does it take?
2. I want to take the clip off and use it as a shotgun light so how exactly
do I take off the clip.

sirhc

Newly Enlightened
UltraFire U4-MCU Cree Q5-WC Module

Just received my new UltraFire U4-MCU from DX.

Initially it didn't work (a common DX problem it seems) but after a bit of fiddling it fired up and now works perfectly and gives an excellent beam. The DX envelope and box had been ripped open and then crudely taped up again, probably by some impatient Customs inspector, and the AAA battery holder was missing one of its vital spring connectors, so it's now useless but that's OK, I wasn't really planning on using it anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if my spring is lying on the floor somewhere in the Customs office.

However, it's a very nicely made light, but the factory assembly is not very thorough, so the first step with all of these Chinese lights seems to be to unscrew everything, clean off excess lube, clean all screw threads, then reassemble everything carefully. A bit of a nuisance, but not a major problem considering the cheap price.

In my case, the problem was with the LED drop-in module. The reflector is machined out of an aluminium cylinder and the driver and LED are pressed into the base. There is a brass rivet through the black plastic base that serves as the positive contact. I think something in the base wasn't making contact because when I pressed firmly on the base, there was a little "click" and the base moved down very slightly and that solved the problem.
U4-MCU1.jpg
U4-MCU2.jpg
U4-MCU3.jpg

I would like to disassemble the module to check that everything is OK inside, but I can't see how to, apart from levering the plastic plug out with a sharp point which could easily destroy it, so I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered one of these modules and is there a way to pull it apart without damaging it that I'm missing?

MetalZone

Newly Enlightened
Re: Akoray K-106 Questions

2. Making it a shotgun light sounds like a bad idea. Since it changes modes with the clicky, the recoil would cause it to change modes with each shot fired. You need a single mode light.

Retral

Newly Enlightened

the recoil would cause it to change modes with each shot fired. You need a single mode light.

Would? Probably not. Could? Possibly. I don't think a clicky has enough mass to gain the inertia you'd require to overcome the spring in the clicky.

Plus, I think if anything would be hard on the light it'd be the battery taking the brunt of the force like it would.

BTW: People use clickies on long guns all the time. I've never heard of one being modeswitched by recoil.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would? Probably not. Could? Possibly. I don't think a clicky has enough mass to gain the inertia you'd require to overcome the spring in the clicky.

Plus, I think if anything would be hard on the light it'd be the battery taking the brunt of the force like it would.

I doubt the recoil would 'click' the clicky, but the battery moving could momentarily cause it to break contact causing the light to change modes, which I suspect is what he meant.

recDNA

Flashaholic

I'm a newbie so I hope you don't mind a question: Is there a good, very bright (more than 200 lumens), rechargeable led flashlight (that won't overcharge and damage the battery - I want to leave it on the charger) AND...here's the kicker...can be focused to narrow beam and flood?

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Customs or Post / Some one there likes my stuff too much , cos it just aint making it to me ...

Looks like some one has five finger discounted my Solarforce L2 body !

I hope they get swine flue !

djslik

Newly Enlightened

I'll put it through it's paces with a couple hundred shells. I currently have the Romisen RC-G2 on there and no problems whatsoever. I'll post back with an update if it does either change modes or fails in some way shape or form. But the first question is still unanswered, I don't have any o-rings on mine and it doesn't stay screwed on very well without them.

Chao

Enlightened
My KD buckle V6 (1AAA) runtime

I got my KD buckle V6 (70 lumens version) yesterday, and quickly did the runtime test.
It is regulated with just using alkaline battery:thumbsup: this is good, but the runtime is too short.
Buckle-runtime.jpg

Buckle V6 uses XP-E LED, the beam is very smooth, throw is also nice (825 lux at 1 meter).
Buckle-4.jpg

This is the side-by-side comparison with Fenix L0D Q4
Buckle-5.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Re: My KD buckle V6 (1AAA) runtime

25 minutes...not bad for an AAA light using anything other than a 5mm LED. Probably moderate losses through the driver:thinking:
regulation looks good though

Status
Not open for further replies.