best 18650 battery and charger

HKJ

Flashaholic
I just bought 10 of the KeepPower 18650s (more like 18700) batteries based off the Panasonic 3400mah cells. They probably won't arrive for 2 weeks. I have a Pila IBC which I have used for my AW 2900mah cells and it worked great. These new batteries are a little larger. So I want a QUALITY charger that WILL fit the 3400mah batteries, and charge hopefully 4 at one time. What is the recommendation from people that have the 3400mah cells?

One of the best chargers you can get is the Xtar SP2, but it will only charger two batteries at a time and it is not recommended to run it at full current with the 3400mAh batteries (Keep it at 1A setting).

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks HKJ, and what will the new out soon XTAR charger be able to charge?. two as well?, and whats the differences with this new charger and the old SP2, really ?
cheers again.

HKJ

Flashaholic
thanks HKJ, and what will the new out soon XTAR charger be able to charge?. two as well?, and whats the differences with this new charger and the old SP2, really ?
cheers again.

I cannot say anything about the new charger. I do hope Xtar will send on to me for testing, they do that sometimes.

mccririck

Enlightened
cheers again.

I was hoping the new Xtar with the display will replace the WP2 and have a USB output.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shadowww

Banned
http://www.fasttech.com/products/14...onic-ncr18650b-protected-rechargeable-3400mah

Are these any good? They say "Panasonic" but the photos of the product don't say that. How do we know what we are really getting?
Genuine Panasonic cells aren't labelled "Panasonic" anywhere, that's just how they are.
That's because they aren't sold in retail normally, so Panasonic doesn't really needs to waste their time and money printing good looking logos and stuff.

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

This is how those cells look in bulk packaging.

Last edited by a moderator:

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Genuine Panasonic cells aren't labelled "Panasonic" anywhere, that's just how they are.
That's because they aren't sold in retail normally, so Panasonic doesn't really needs to waste their time and money printing good looking logos and stuff.

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

This is how those cells look in bulk packaging.

What's confusing is that these are labeled Made In Japan, but they often come from Chinese suppliers. ARe the Chinese just putting on the outside jacket then? Is there a way to know these are genuine Panasonics and not cheap knockoffs?

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberCT

Enlightened
I ended up buying the Nitecore Intellicharger i4 V2, two of them. The price is great along with their functionality so I bought more than one. So I will be charging my Keeppower 3400 mah batteries with these chargers.

CyberCT

Enlightened
One of the best chargers you can get is the Xtar SP2, but it will only charger two batteries at a time and it is not recommended to run it at full current with the 3400mAh batteries (Keep it at 1A setting).

Just curious, why is it the 3400 mah batteries can't take full current like the other 18650s, specifically?

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up buying the Nitecore Intellicharger i4 V2, two of them. The price is great along with their functionality so I bought more than one. So I will be charging my Keeppower 3400 mah batteries with these chargers.

Good choice... Mine work just fine...

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D

Shadowww

Banned
Just curious, why is it the 3400 mah batteries can't take full current like the other 18650s, specifically?
Because for Panasonic NCR series cells, max. charging current specified in datasheet is 0.3C (which is 870mA for 2900mAh, 930mA for 3100mAh and 1020mA for 3400mAh).
2900mAh/3100mAh will obviously have no problem with 1A charging rate, though, as that's just few % more.

shadowjk

Enlightened
ARe the Chinese just putting on the outside jacket then?

Panasonic (and other manufacturers) do not permit sales of loose cells to consumers, only battery packs. We need the third party in between that convincingly promises panasonic the batteries will be used for constructing battery packs, and not sold to consumers.

"J" man

Newly Enlightened
Recommend rechargeables for my torches?

Hi guys,

Money is tight these days and I would like to invest in some rechargeable batteries for my Olight M20S-X (XM-L, 2xCR123A or 1x18650), and a Fenix PD32UE (XM-L, 2xCR123A or 1x18650).

Should I go with a bunch of 16340s, or a few 18650s? Should I get them with a PCB or go IMR? I have already invested in a WPAII 2 charger, it can charge both sizes.

What are some good choices/brands to look for with these lights? I'm looking for good value, but also a very high cycle life.

Thanks in advance.

Shadowww

Banned
Re: Recommend rechargeables for my torches?

You'd be best off getting Intl-Outdoor 3400mAh protected batteries.
They're $29 for a pair, but they're well worth it - highest available capacity, best quality protection, and great cell inside (Panasonic NCR18650B).

Dubois

Enlightened

I'd definitely stick to protected 18650 rather than use multiple 16340 cells. Fasttech have a good price on the Panasonic cells - both 3100mAh and the newer 3400mAh.

eusty

Newly Enlightened

As above 18650's, although check if the 3400 will fit as it appears that they don't fit in all lights due to being slightly fatter.

Sent using Tapatalk 2.

peterscm

Newly Enlightened

Intl-Outdoor 18650 3400mAh protected batteries is a bit tight (as it is fatter) when inserting into PD32UE. If force in then the battery wrapper may get scratch/damage. AW and EagleTac 3400mAh has no problem inserting into PD32UE.

Last edited: