Best 9V LED Module and Driver? Surefire M3T?

N2rockets

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Basically I have 2 projects.

1) I lathed a (3) Battery 123A Cell flashlight body and need to machine a head for it with a LED module and circuit. I am basically wondering what the best LED and driver is right now? I want it to be a very powerful thrower, not as concerned with how long battery lasts.

2) While I am at it, I am making 2 LED drop in modules for a surefire M3T and M3 standard bezel. I have both heads for my M3 and want LED drop-ins. I have lathed the "post" to the same dimensions as the regular bulbs and I need to mount a LED on top and have a ciruit for it underneath. What are your opinions on the best LED module and circuit that I can mount on this and still fit it through the reflector opening without modification to the reflector?
I saw someone used a SSC-P4 or a XP-G? What is the best that can fit and what driver board do you use? How do you choose?

Thanks,

Dirk

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I'll move your thread to the /Homemade & Modified/ subforum, which is the most applicable subforum for your topics ...

With regards to your first question, the "best" LED & driver is a difficult question, are you looking for maximum 'throw' or maximum total output?

Your second question, you might find some relevant info by using the 'CPF search' for "LED towers" or "LED tower modules".

Hope this helps,
K

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
2) While I am at it, I am making 2 LED drop in modules for a surefire M3T and M3 standard bezel. I have both heads for my M3 and want LED drop-ins. I have lathed the "post" to the same dimensions as the regular bulbs and I need to mount a LED on top and have a ciruit for it underneath. What are your opinions on the best LED module and circuit that I can mount on this and still fit it through the reflector opening without modification to the reflector?
I saw someone used a SSC-P4 or a XP-G? What is the best that can fit and what driver board do you use? How do you choose?

A tower for the smaller M3 head (Z46 IIRC) is going to be trickier than a tower for the larger KT4 TurboHead. Do a CPF search for "koala" for his work on LED towers for the standard M3. The M3 reflector opening is small. You will probably have to use either a Luxeon Rebel or a Cree XP-E/XP-G. Soldering to the bare LED will be more difficult than for the usual case.

A KT4 LED tower is fairly straightforward. There are lots of posts on the subject on CPF. The choice of LED depends on your requirements. Merely asking for "the best LED" is overly vague. Best for what? Because you have to fit the LED through the KT4's reflector opening, you are again somewhat limited in the selection of LEDs. Cree XP-E/XP-G on 8mm or 10mm MCPCBs will work (you'll have to trim back the 10mm MCPCB). A Cree XR-E can also work, but you'll have to trim the ceramic substrate board. The Seoul P4 and Luxeon V LEDs are the classic choices. A Cree MC-E can fit if you trim the case and know what you are doing regarding wiring up the individually addressable dies.

If you plan to drill out the KT4 opening to a larger diameter, then of course this could make other LEDs available for consideration. Otherwise, bigger LEDs like the Seoul P7 are simply too big to fit through the TH reflector opening.

Since you are building your own tower, you should machine the tower height so that when your LED is thermally glued to the top of the tower, the LED die is at the proper reflector focus height.

Best driver board depends on what your battery configuration is going to be, what driver board diameter you plan to fit into the tower, how much you are willing to spend, what drive current you plan to use (which I suppose depends on what LED you select), etc. You need to define what you mean by "best".

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add, the K2 TFFC works (trim the case a tad)
the Osram Diamond Dragon will also work

IMHO ... go with the XPG ;)

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again with the vague "best". What are your criteria -- lowest price, fastest delivery, availability of specific flux and tint bins, ...?

What drive current to the emitter? What driver board diam? What price range?

I want the best car. Tell me what to get.