Best alkaline batteries?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Welcome to CPF "ddgrup!!

Yeah... Energizers are better than Duracells from my experience. Have you tried Rayovac Maximum batts?

- verge -

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does this experience relate to the RayOVac rechargeable alkalines?

I have heard they are prone to leakage (possibly from the charge/discharge cycles causing the steel can to erode over time).

Any experience with life and recharge cycles in LED flashlights?

lucifer

Newly Enlightened
Should a laser pointer (especially a green one) be considered a high-drain device?

Did anybody try to run one from NiMH AAA rechargeables? If so, how are battery life and brightness compared to alkalines?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ikendu:
How does this experience relate to the RayOVac rechargeable alkalines?

I have heard they are prone to leakage (possibly from the charge/discharge cycles causing the steel can to erode over time).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've been using the Ray-O-Vac Renewals (alk.rechargeables) for a few years, and have never had one leak. Three considerations:
-----------------------------
1. using only their designated charger.
2. only using these type batts. for loads of 250mA or less.
3. allowing only relatively shallow discharge.

With these three things in mind, my experience with them has been good. Frequent charging helps them go maybe 80-100 charging cycles...And they will put out 1.4v+ under fairly light loads. -Great for powering those 5mm LED type lights, IMO

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply!

I've only just recently begun to appreciate the importance of not draining the alkaline rechargeables really low before recharging.

Daytona

Newly Enlightened
In the of battery recycling...

Are there also precautions for dumping non-rechargable lithium-ion batteries? (I wish there are *RE*-chargable Li batteries for me to dump, it means I have them!
smile.gif
wink.gif

Daytona

brightnorm

Flashaholic
2d_edge 2d_edge
Flashaholic
Member # 29 posted 10-26-2001 08:30 AM
Price is good at cheapbatteries.com although I do not know their batteries' expiration date. Anyway... batteries don't get to live long on my bookshelf with my flashlights and seeing them shine just for the fun of it.

2d_edge,

I got a bunch of Duracell AA Ultras from Cheapbatteries.com which I'm returning because Exp date is 2003 which means they were manufactured at least 2-3 years ago and have already lost some of their charge. With Alkalines I expect at least a 4-yr post date. I got others dated 2005; more like it. Strangely, I also got some dated 2008!!! For alkalines? Who's kidding whom??

At any rate, from now on if I buy from Cheapbatteries.com I'll verify dates by phone if possible. If not, I'll shop elsewhere.

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

brightnorm..... that's probably the downside of ordering batteries from online battery store, we don't get to know the expiration date of batteries until they're delivered. Also, cheapbatteries.com have higher battery price if order is placed by phone.

Anyway... since learning after $$ spent experimenting with different popular brands of batteries that Rayovac gives more shine-time, I now opted to just go to my nearest K-Mart where Rayovac Maximum are available.

I'm also experimenting with other cheaper lesser known or less popular alkaline brands to compare runtime. I'll post the result soon as I'm done.

Other battery review sites tested battery for their application... digital cameras and camera flash. I'm seeking the cheapest and longest running alkaline battery for my application..... flashlight.

- verge -

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I don't have any scientific evidence for what I am about to say, but I think that Eveready Alkaline batteries are the best alkaline batteries.

I am a fairly consistant user of batteries - mostly AA and AAA but others as well. Mostly in high quality flashlights (I have yet to find a rechargeable flashlight that can "hold a candle" to those with non-rechargeable but replaceable batteries).

Eveready batteries have always served me well. To me they obviously hold up longer than either Duracell or RayOVac. In fact, the one time I used Duracell (Because I could not get any others at the time) in a new 2 D cell Mag-Light, the brand new Duracell batteries corroded less than 3 days after loading them in the light - so badly that they fused the threads on the battery cap of the flashlight. Duracell sent me a check for the light and I have not used Duracell since. RayOVac batteries, in my opinion just don't hold up.

I use Eveready batteries exclusively.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flashfan:
Does anyone know which alkaline battery is the "best," performance-wise? Which brand is the strongest and longest-lasting? Are there significant differences between say, the "regular" alkalines and the "max" (Energizer) and "ultra" (Duracell) batteries?

I searched this "Batteries Included" section, but didn't find any information on this topic. If it has been covered before, please direct me to the right place. Thanks for any input.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brock

Flashaholic
Well I just had another Eveready Alkaline AA cell leak inside a $2000 Sennheiser wireless mike. I usually insist on Procell or Duracell because have never had them leak, but someone gave me a box of Eveready's. It wasn't a bad leak and the battery sled comes out so I cleaned it off without much problem. This isn't the first time I have had them leak and I never use used batteries in those units or leave them in longer then one performance. I do agree that Eveready tend to run a bit longer then Duracell's, but now I am wondering if it is due to a smaller casing???

recercare

Enlightened
Nemko is a Norwegian organisation. It's looked up on as the most reliable "tester" in the country. Many hospitals use Nemko before buying equipment.

Last year Nemko did a battery test for high drain devices (AA):
1. Energizer: 7h 47m
2. Phillips: 7h 42m
3. Panasonic: 7h 41m
4. Duracell: 7h 36m
5. Varta: 6h 51m

D

**DONOTDELETE**

What exactly are those high drain devices used by Nemko for their tests? Did they include flashlight?

My device is flashlight (UKE4AA, Streamlight Poly 4AA, TEC-40, Arc-AAA) which showed from my numerous continous "ON" experiments that Rayovac Maximum AA and AAA batteries give the longest burntime (2 to 3 hrs more) for less bucks.

My search is for longest burntime and cheapest battery for my AA and AAA flashlights, not for my CD player or other electronic devices.

I have time-lapse photos showing Rayovac AA and AAA batteries beating Energizer and Duracell in my continous ON burntime experiments for my AA and AAA flashlight.

It is also easy to duplicate this experiment if one has a digital camera with time-lapse capture feature.

- verge -

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
From all that I've read on the web and this forum, seems like that LED lights are low drain devices and the best alkaline battery is the cheapest alkaline battery.

Walgreens just had their private branded alkalines on sale recently at 4 AAAs for $1.

Hard to beat that for value.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have also been using RAOYVAC Renewal Rechargeable Alkaline Batteries.

I have had several incidences of the batteries leaking a whitish power/crystaline substance. Those batteries were only partially discharged when I start charging them but TOTALLY dead when I found them in the charger corroded. I was using the proper batteries in the proper charger and it still happens.

What is causing this? RAYOVAC does not respond. It is interesting that not all batteries corrode during charging. Some from the same package will some won't.

I recently switched to Energizer Rechargeable NiMH chargers and batteries and I am much happier. No corrosion.

I have never been a fan of any RAYOVAC batteries. I have always tried to use Eveready Batteries - preferably Engerizers.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vcal:
Originally posted by ikendu:
[qb]How does this experience relate to the RayOVac rechargeable alkalines?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've been using the Ray-O-Vac Renewals (alk.rechargeables) for a few years, and have never had one leak. Three considerations:
-----------------------------
1. using only their designated charger.
2. only using these type batts. for loads of 250mA or less.
3. allowing only relatively shallow discharge.

With these three things in mind, my experience with them has been good. Frequent charging helps them go maybe 80-100 charging cycles...And they will put out 1.4v+ under fairly light loads. -Great for powering those 5mm LED type lights, IMO[/QB]

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ranger,
Very perplexing!-your leakage experience...
You might, if you have time and about $4. to ship R-Vac 2 or 3 of those leakers, (along with a note about your application/use of those cells), and ask them what the heck is going on????
Re: NimHs-if their lower voltage works OK -especially in your LED applications, IMHO, then they are your very best value.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have had this experience where the Renewal batteries leak in the charger.

I notice in the latest instruction manual for Renewal chargers that you absolutely can not leave the batteries in the charger.

I think that accounts for all of my problems from the past (I was leaving them in). So...maybe if you are really careful to charge and them take them out right away, the leaking will not be a problem.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
2d_edge

I have a Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA and currently use Energizer Max batteries in it. I say I have a run time of about 2 amd 1/2 hours (left it on for an hour once while in my cargo pocket, talk about getting hot), and the light is still going strong.

I bought a 4 pack of RayOVacs dated 2005 for $1.59 at the local odd job.

My question is, which battery do you recommend?
The Energizer Max or Rayovacs?

I also have 24 Energizer e2 batteries, but I am not sure if the streamlight should be labeled as a high drain device.

Thanks,
Jason

D

**DONOTDELETE**

For PDAs. I was using regular Energizer Alkaline batteries in my PDA (2 AAA) - which I use a lot!. It was going through about 2 sets of batteries a month. I tried DuraCell Alkalines (I do not like DuraCell Batteries) and it when through about 3 sets a month. I then tried Energizer e2 Alkaline batteries and got about a month and a half out of one set of batteries. The e2's cost a bit more - but they last longer - at least in my informal evaluation.

I am not sure how the e2 performa in other applications.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flashfan:
Does anyone know which alkaline battery is the "best," performance-wise? Which brand is the strongest and longest-lasting? Are there significant differences between say, the "regular" alkalines and the "max" (Energizer) and "ultra" (Duracell) batteries?

I searched this "Batteries Included" section, but didn't find any information on this topic. If it has been covered before, please direct me to the right place. Thanks for any input.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Jason... my experience with those brands of batteries except the Energizer e2 (haven't tried it yet) shows that Rayovac gives the longest burntime compared to Energizer Max and Duracell Coppertop.

Here is the result of my previous experiments with different brands of alkaline batteries. Results taken from time-lapse photos with date and time stamps showing the duration of batteries' burn time.

TEC-40, UK4AA, Streamlight Poly 4AA - Alkaline Battery Runtime - Time/Hrs - June 2001

TEC-40
Duracell Coppertop 2005 (2:30)
Energizer 2007 (3:45)
Rayovac Maximum 2005 (4:05)

UK4AA
Duracell Coppertop 2005 (3:20)
Energizer 2007 (4:45)
Rayovac Maximum 2007 (5:00)

Streamlight Poly 4AA
Duracell Coppertop 2005 (2:40)
Energizer 2007 (4:35)
Rayovac Maximum 2007 (4:55)

Arc-AAA Alkaline Battery Runtime - Time/Hrs - November 2001

Rayovac Maximum 2007 (10:00)
American Fare Long Lasting 2006 (08:30)
Energizer Max 2008 (08:05)
Duracell Ultra 2008 (07:00)
Duracell Coppertop 2008 (06:15)

I'd prefer the cheaper Rayovac Maximum compared to the more expensive brands not only because of the price but also of its longer burn time. I hope this helps.

- verge -