Best and Brightest AAA?

stephan2148

Newly Enlightened
This is a peeve for me also. I have lost a light due to it twisting off.
Now, on my KAI AAA (which is nice and bright though), I have found it both ON in my pocket, and then OFF completely apart.
I won't buy any more twist lights unless you are twisting a switch, not how it is supposed to come apart.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Nothing to do with AAA but everything to do with twist head lights...

My Fenix P1 as carried in the rather tight nylon holster on my belt right in front of my cell phone has managed to turn itself on and kill a battery dead twice.

Probably wouldn't be a problem carried in a pocket or such. Or carried in a closed top more loose fitting holster maybe.

But it lends creedence to the fear of loosing an AAA head....

All that said I plan to ask TPTB if I can get a LOPSE from Lighthound :twak:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good lord the extreme III looks highly tempting, thankfully I dont have 145 in my PP account right now... Otherwise...

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Best and Brightest AAA? ... in my opinion these two items do not live in the same light. There is not one light that is both the best and the brightest.

If you're looking for the brighest, continue down the path of suggestions you've been getting here. Just keep in mind that no matter how bright a light is if it 1) doesn't work when you need it or 2) can't run for any length of time without a charge or battery replacement, it's pretty worthless. Wouldn't you agree?

If you're looking for the best, take a look at Arc and Peak. If you're looking a pretty darn good value, take a gander at the Streamlight MicroStream.

Schützen

Newly Enlightened
Would someone mind sharing which is the best L0D? CE, Rebel, Q4, Q5?? :thinking:

gravityz

Enlightened
you can not answer that question that simply
the leds with the highest output/runtime are the rebels and Q5's

however what somebody does with it is another matter

for example

the lumapower avenger has a rebel100 in it
it however is not bright on a standard nimh battery but it is on a 3.7 volt 10440

the fenix l0D CE an Q4 are tuned for NimH.
on these output is higher than other lights using the same battery.
it does not support 10440 but it will work amazingly brightly on these also.

go for the best leds(Q4,Q5, Rebel) but always check both light output and battery runtime on a light.
in some cases a lesser led can run much better because the circuitry for that light was designed better.

overal fenix is the output/runtime king on NiMh

sorry: did not read that you were talking about the L0D
go for the Q4
only available in red
expected this month to be available in black also

Would someone mind sharing which is the best L0D? CE, Rebel, Q4, Q5?? :thinking:

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
As there is no Q5 LOD, the red Q4 is your best bet, unless you wait for black and maybe olive to be released later this month. I believe Fenix is discontinuing their Rebels because Lumiled cannot consistently produce enough RB100's in required quantities.