Best battery for Home Inverter system

Wrend

Enlightened
PV solar is a huge up front investment, but it can eventually pay for itself in the form of cost savings. I'm not sure what the interest rates on loans are these days, but it might be something to look into if you're considering going this route. Some PV solar installation companies will likely also offer financing options. Make sure you get your setup covered under a reliable insurance plan too.

Fuel powered generators are still initially much more cost effective. So if this is only a once in a while to use as backup kind of setup, then that's probably the most cost effective way to go, but don't let me dissuade you from going solar.

Getting a Pb setup with high enough capacity and voltage (if you go that route, but remember Wh is what you want to look at for energy storage, not just capacity, of course) would be pretty expensive too. Keeping them topped off and maintained properly will require some maintenance now and then too, and of course they don't last forever.

Last edited:

magneticanomaly

Newly Enlightened
Google Nickel-Iron batteries. I have off-grid soalr power system with nearly dead old salvaged Lead-Acids,planning to replace with nickel-iron.

Kremer

Enlightened
I have an APC 2200VA UPS in my basement for exactly the same reasons the OP is talking about. It is a 48V system and accepts external batteries. I currently have two banks (4 12V jars each) of ~90AH capacity each on it. Each bank is fused at 100A between the middle two jars, and I can unplug each for maintenance via Anderson connectors. These are like 80# batteries and I have eight of them in the basement, on a crawlspace ledge. They are AGM SLA batteries and perfectly safe in this application.

I also have an EU2000 generator that I can plug the UPS into in an extended outage. My dryer vent is short and right by the UPS so tossing an extension cord in from outside is super easy and convenient.

The UPS is wired to my two computers and tv/entertainment system. In that configuration it'll run everything for about 12 hours. It has enough capacity to connect my chest freezer and kitchen fridge also with no problem. It is kinds fun when the power goes out in a big storm and I can sit and continue to watch the news and either wait for power to come back or once the weather clears to pull the generator out (which I've only had to do one time now).

anyway.... I think 5kVA is well oversized for just lights and fridge and stuff. And yes, pure sine is what you need for a fridge. My APC is that. Check craigslist and/or ebay or ask any computer people you know, These type unit can often be had very cheap with dead batteries in them, which you won't use anyway because those batteries are so small in capacity.

dobie

Newly Enlightened
If a person is worried about refrigeration which would be on of the largest draws in a power outage, you might consider getting a 9.9 cubic ft propane/Ng frdige. A Servel runs off both 110 volt and propane/Ng and it will last about 2 1/2 weeks on a 20 lb propane cylinder. No worrying about long term gas storage. Drawback is they cost around $1100. Dometic is another excellent brand.

For batteries, most folks off grid use to use Trojan T-105s or US 2200 6 volt deep cycle batteries(run in series parallel to make correct voltage and amp hr storage). They take much, much more abuse than an AGM will and are best suited to folks who haven't run battery banks before. Ours(US 2200) lasted 6 years of heavy abuse and we now use them at or cabin. I highly recommend against getting marine batteries.

lwknight

Enlightened
It does not take as much power as most think just to run a refrigerator and a few low power light bulbs. I have monitored my refrigerator over a year now. It runs most of the time and varies from 90-135 watts ( voltage irrelevant) I put a 35 watt headlight on 2 X 6 volt golf cart batteries for over 2 days trying to run them down and they held out for 48 hours.

Its not unreasonable to shoot for 48 or more hours minimal power usage on a set of 4 full sized lead acid batteries. My fridge averages 2.7kw per day. The 1.2kw-1.5kw batteries are not uncommon. A set of 8 batteries @ around $1,600 total should run you 3 to 4 days if you are really frugal.

Personally , I just keep extra gasoline on have for my welding machine that has a 10kw generator. Downside is that it consumes a minimum 1 gallon per hour and more on a heavy load. I figure on running it intermittently as needed only but you could do the same thing with battery power.

BTW: The refrigerator mentioned is a 22CF high efficiency.

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very impressed that people have such good luck with their honda generators. I can tell you this, my experience with using their lawn mowers is less than stellar. I have pretty well confirmed now (after years of trying to figure it out) that the carb is not compatible with gasoline that contains ethanol, and when used on a small yard / low consumption situation, it is a poor choice.

If you really need long term power after a hurricane, then consider to buy a gasifier + matching generator, and skip the liquid fuel approach. You can load them up with wood scraps, and produce 5 - 10 KW as needed, no other fuel required. Example, gekgasifier and there are others out there. I was surprised how well this concept works.

Kilted

Enlightened
Concorde AGM ( http://www.sunxtender.com/ ) driving a Prosine 2000w or 3000w inverter. These have charger and transfer switch built in, good peak power and lot's of battery protection built in.

See; http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/battery-pack-for-makita-uc4000.5822/#post-149743 for an example I built.

I have a Solar (5.2kw) powered grid tied system with battery backup. The inverter is 5KW with 7KW peak for motor starting, the battery bank is 8-8D 12v 250amp batteries wired as 48v 500amp 24kwh. This gives me 12kwh of usable power. This will run most of the house, for just a fridge 5Kw is not need as long as the inverter has peak power for motor starting.

Gasifier require dry wood, after a hurricane there is not much dry anything. Just like going camping with solar power system no sun no power like it's cloudy, rain or your camp is in a redwood forest with 100+ foot trees.

=D~~ Kilted

Last edited:

Olddawgsrule

Newly Enlightened
I know this thread is old, but I'm searching through to see what you folks have said.

I agree with most of what has been said here.

When it comes to powering 'large' appliances, I also rely on my generator.
The LA battery bank/ Solar array is just to large (space & dollar) to make it more efficient than a good generator.

For smaller, I use my LA's.
I'm looking at using the 18650's in place of.
I'm still learning and seeing what can be done, but see them as a good alternative for my lighting requirements.

Latest posts