Best bored 6P drop-in for me??? (Need some advice)

forumname05

Newly Enlightened
For the past few years as a midnight cop in a big city I've carried a 9P and a 6P as a back-up, both modded with DealExtreme drop in's and AW 17XXX cells. I'm now in the specialized training school for ESU in my department and as I'm stepping it up and hitting the holy grail of my department I'd like to step up my lights to be on par with what will be my everyday tasks in ESU, everything from tactical to rescue and in between. I'd like to end up with 2 versatile, bulletproof 6P based lights, one will be my go to light and the other in my pocket as a back-up (w/ a high/low feature), both with SF momentary/twist tail caps. I'm interested in picking up a 6P host and a bored body (for my current 6P) as well as drop in's and AW18650 cells. My main question is which drop in will suite me best as my main light? I need something BRIGHT, dependable and versatile! Something that can run on both 18650's and regular SF primaries if need be. Tint is not really of a concern. What will runtimes be like?...Which drop in is for me???
What about a high/low drop-in for my back-up???

Also, what is a good bezel down pocket clip? (For my back-up)

BarryG

Enlightened
My first thought is either a Malkoff or Nailbender drop-in. Both are well respected here and tons of info. A buddy has an Overready triple in his 6P and likes it as well.
Also consider going to a neutral tint, a big difference in color vs cool tint.
I think Mac is making a drop-in now but I haven't read any reviews on it yet.

Barry

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
highly recommend looking at a malkoff MD2 with high/low ring.
the MD2 can readily accept 18650 also. the high/low ring is operated by having the bezel loose or tight.
the MD2 comes with a clicky tailcap, but there are options for momentary switches.

for drop-ins, malkoff's M61 would do nicely. wide voltage range (up to 9 volts so u can also use it in your 9p) for different types of battery set-ups. simple, and reliable single mode. malkoffs are driven conservatively, so the LED isnt being pushed at extreme levels, this means low heat issues. i feel safe leaving my malkoffs on for hours without a meltdown. and if there ever was a problem, Gene Malkoff backs it with a lifetime warranty.
runtimes with 2 surefire cells will be between 2-3 hours with a slow taper. runtimes with 18650 will be more.

Steve Barnhart

Newly Enlightened
What do you not like about the 6p and 9p other than no stock pocket clip?

Do you want to be able to shoot Surefire - Rodgers technique, or will you rely on dedicated weapon lights?

forumname05

Newly Enlightened
As far as Malkoff vs Nailbender, I'm sort of a newbie but do know that they are both well respected. As far as which drop-in would suite my needs better from each maker is where I'm stumped and need help. Runtime's would be appreciated as well

What do you not like about the 6p and 9p other than no stock pocket clip?

Do you want to be able to shoot Surefire - Rodgers technique, or will you rely on dedicated weapon lights?

There's nothing wrong with my current 6P or 9P, I'd just like to carry 2 6P's instead (9P is bigger than I need, that'll stay in my car), move to 18650 cells (by boring the 6P's) and have RELIABLE bulletproof drop-in's vs my current cheap Chinese deal extreme units. Basically have two 6P's that are on the higher end, versatile and reliable.

As far as weapon lights, we have dedicated SF's for that so there is no concern there

Last edited:

eg1977

Newly Enlightened
1) Bored Surefire 6P with Nailbender dropin - Cree XML (pick your tint) ; single level ; 2.8 amps ; 3-6 volts ; smooth reflector ; potting option

2) Elzetta ZFL-M60 with high/low tailcap - Sell Malkoff M60 dropin, and buy M61

forumname05

Newly Enlightened
1) Bored Surefire 6P with Nailbender dropin - Cree XML (pick your tint) ; single level ; 2.8 amps ; 3-6 volts ; smooth reflector ; potting option

2) Elzetta ZFL-M60 with high/low tailcap - Sell Malkoff M60 dropin, and buy M61

What's the difference between the M60 vs M61 exactly? Which would be better on an 18650
with the option of primaries?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Both run fine on primaries. The 60' smaller LED offers more throw and drops out of regulation sooner on one cell (less output but more run time). The 61 is more general purpose, with a broader beam and higher, longer regulated output.