Best Camping Lantern Recomendations

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
SOLD. You're right, it's silly petty crap when it comes down to a few bucks. I mean, jeez, my EDC is a Surefire. That's more than most people spend on lunch at work in a month, and to have a flashlight that costs that much would be crazy to them.

Now all I need is Blacklight to accidentally ship me a pallet of "3rd party" testing lights.

BL, shipping address is ready to send to you....

camper1970

Newly Enlightened
If you are looking for maximum light output and cheap fuel than look at the britelyt/petromax CP500 lantern.... it puts out at least 3 times the amout of light as the coloman north star and can run on any liquid fuel from gas to Bio diesel...... and even mix in citranella oil to keep your camp area free of bugs....

I have always used coleman lanterns and they are great, but since I have found the Britelyt CP500 I have been vary impressed!!! and it is totally made of brass and stainless unlike the coleman models of today.....

Just my 2 cents...

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for maximum light output and cheap fuel than look at the britelyt/petromax CP500 lantern.... it puts out at least 3 times the amout of light as the coloman north star and can run on any liquid fuel from gas to Bio diesel......
AFAIK, Britelyt is the only importer that recommends using volatile fuels in a Petromax-type clone lantern, because they claim to have specially designed parts. This is something that many people recommend against.

While the Petromax does put out more light than the Northstar, this is not as apparent as you'd expect for the same reason it takes a far brighter flashlight before you'll notice a difference. This image from a three year old thread shows L-R: Brass Britelyt 500CP without chimney, 100w incan yard light, Nickel Britelyt 500CP with chimney, Coleman Northstar. Looks like another 100w yard light is in the background.
brightnesscomparisiontest0022nPetro.jpg

The standard CPF suggestion of course would be to buy them both, and use the Petromax with diesel/kerosene and the Coleman with petrol/white gas.

craig333

Newly Enlightened
I have all types. My led lantern is best suited for indoor use or maybe just enough light to avoid tripping over stuff outdoors. The fluorescent lantern isn't bad but still can't hold a candle to a gas lantern. Still its nice take to the outhouse.

I used to be a die hard white gas man but Hank Hill has converted me. Propane is the only way to go. My lanterns, stove, barbecue all run on propane now. Ease of use wins out. If you're only going to camp once every blue moon the little propane cylinders aren't that expensive. If you camp a lot like me, you need a big tank like this.

Btw, thats a coleman northstar on top. I can also tap into the propane tank on my camper.

prophoseWinCE.jpg

S5300055.jpg

Last edited:

craig333

Newly Enlightened
I still have my gas lantern, but it lives in the garage now. The led lantern is a little dusty. Lives in my bedroom. Its still on the original six alkaline D cells from two years ago.

S5300056.jpg

S5300057.jpg

pobox1475

Enlightened
The thought of ever using gasoline scares me. Used a Northstar for the past 4 years with no problems. Mantles were <$3 at Wal-Mart last time I got a few and they even had the globes too. I get about 8 hours at mid brightness from each cylinder. Cylinders are safer to transport (no chance of spilling) and durable. Don't know what the cost of use breakdown is with White Fuel but at a couple to a few bucks a pop propane is reasonable. If you have other equipment that uses fuel then get a fuel lantern, same for propane. Was just at Coleman's site the yesterday checking battery lanterns for a friend (he has 200 D's stock piled) and noticed that the new top dog is the Pinnacle that uses a battery for ignition. In all honesty mine lights about 4 out of 5 times with the igniter first try and having to rely on a battery might be a pitfall. I assume the output is the same from both. I also like how the base is actually the cylinder leaving less chance for damage.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Pinnacle. It's a great lantern; I like it better than the Northstar. It has a half dozen or so feature and structural improvements (look at the Coleman website) and runs great. Mine ignites first time all the time in just a snap. I recommend this lantern. The only problem is that the mantles are harder to find; I just ordered a few packs from Coleman when I bought the lantern.

According to Blacklight, our resident Coleman rep, the Pinnacle is approx 1600 lumens, with a dual mantle propane lantern being around 800-1000, IIRC.

Lantern1.jpg

pobox1475

Enlightened
I notice that the Pinnacle is listed as having up to 5 hours of use off a canister. Northstar 5 1/2 on high to 11 on low. Can the level of Pinnacle be adjusted? Also how stable is the base? Mine are used a lot around water.:confused:

Last edited:

pobox1475

Enlightened
Definitely a nice modern lantern. I will stick with the Northstars for now. The 5 hour run time of Pinnacle is not enough for my needs. I average 8 hours and rarely run maxed. Would rather not have to swap bottles halfway through my outing. Thanks for finding the added info for me.:thumbsup:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have a general question. Do the brighter lanterns achieve their extra brightness by burning their gas or liquid fuel more efficiently, or do they simply consume their fuel more quickly?

Also, it wasn't clear to be after reading this thread, but for occasional / emergency use (power failures mostly) is a liquid fuel lantern better than a propane gas one, or vice versa?

pobox1475

Enlightened
The NorthStar I have uses a single large mantle designed to give high output. Yes the brighter ones consume fuel more readily. I feel propane is safer to use and cleaner burning that liquid fuels. The canisters also store easily and can be gotten for only a couple bucks at some retailers.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel propane is safer to use and cleaner burning that liquid fuels. The canisters also store easily and can be gotten for only a couple bucks at some retailers.
Why do you feel it's safer to use?

Are either "clean" enough to be used indoors (if you crack the windows for fresh air)?

Last edited:

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
I can't remember where I heard it, but I remember hearing on some disaster preparedness site that the white gas ones are worse to use indoors because of some additional compounds in the burnoff. Something about both having decent/wary amounts of CO release, but the white gas one has some additional vapors that you shouldn't release for long periods of times (such as a natural disaster...) inside your home.

pobox1475

Enlightened
Why do you feel it's safer to use?
In addition to above post I feel it is very unlikely for the propane to ignite other than through lantern. Liquid fuels have combustible vapors, can spill and are not as easy to transport.

pobox1475

Enlightened
Yes, that would be the Top Dog. I like the fact that it stores within it's self. The NorthStar IMO is a better value. You can get three more hours on low setting over the Pinnacle. I have found that running on highest setting for extended periods of time is seldom needed.