Best Camping Lantern Recomendations

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that would be the Top Dog. I like the fact that it stores within it's self. The NorthStar IMO is a better value. You can get three more hours on low setting over the Pinnacle. I have found that running on highest setting for extended periods of time is seldom needed.
I didn't see a low runtime rating for the Pinnacle on the Coleman website or in the manual. Where did you find it?

pobox1475

Enlightened
NorthStar
One 16.4 oz. Coleman® propane cylinder (sold separately) lasts up to 5.5 hours on high or 11 hours on low
Pinnacle
Illumination lasts up to 5 hours on one 16.4oz Coleman® Propane cylinder
They did not specifically say low setting. But the way manufacturers always take the highest specs they can promote to make a product look good I'm very certain this is at it's lowest setting. If this is fairly accurate then the low run time would be about double. The Pinnacle appears to be a nice light. If I was to add another it is what I would get. As to only having one I would probably go with NorthStar. Keep in mind I have no hands on with Pinnacle and am basing my opinion off what specs they have printed. If you have strong interest in the Pinnacle I would contact one of their reps directly to get details. If you do let me know the out come. :)

Quotes courtesy of Coleman's website.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
NorthStar Pinnacle They did not specifically say low setting. But the way manufacturers always take the highest specs they can promote to make a product look good I'm very certain this is at it's lowest setting. If this is fairly accurate then the low run time would be about double. The Pinnacle appears to be a nice light. If I was to add another it is what I would get. As to only having one I would probably go with NorthStar. Keep in mind I have no hands on with Pinnacle and am basing my opinion off what specs they have printed. If you have strong interest in the Pinnacle I would contact one of their reps directly to get details. If you do let me know the out come. :)

Quotes courtesy of Coleman's website.

I have a Pinnacle. What would you like to know?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The five hour runtime is on high. I've not done a continuous 5 hr burn, but with my intermittent usage, I have no reason to doubt that 5 hrs is realistic (this has been backed up by Blacklight, Coleman's Mktg guy). On low, I could see easily getting 10 hrs, as it's using far, far less fuel. Hope this helps.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, thanks.

I ended up buying one of these, one of these, and three twin packs of the mantles. I should be all set for any future power failures or outdoor night time activities. :whistle:

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
Cool, thanks.

I ended up buying one of these, one of these, and three twin packs of the mantles. I should be all set for any future power failures or outdoor night time activities. :whistle:

You know what, man? If you want disaster preparedness, and have a gas grill outside, spend the ~$20 on a propane tree, and then you have some REAL legs. Years and years ago, I had a 1-mantle propane (not that little minimal baseball-sized globe crap, but a normal sized) lantern for Scouts and whatnot. At the time, I bought a 6lb refillable tank and an 18" tree. The awesome part of this setup was that (at the time), the 6lb tank cost as much to fill as a 16.4oz tank was to buy new....About $2.50...and yet held 5.5x times as much propane. The runtime of that 1 mantle #21 propane lantern was like 55-60 hrs on high, on $2.50....OR cooking with a 2-burner propane stove with the lantern attached for 2 solid weekends before needing to fill. Nowadays that 6lb'er would run about $5 -5.50 to fill, or about $0.90 per cylinder equivalent. Best part is....it can be a reserve for your gas grill.

The 11lb'ers are a nice size too, offering a great low stable base, if you check out their squat nature.

I don't know who made the 6lb I had, but Manchester Tank makes 5, 10, an 11's available through lots of dealers. My 6 was taller and thinner than the Manchester 5# however.

http://www.mantank.com/products/steel_propane/5-10.htm

Think about it, if a convenience place charges $20 for a 20lb propane exchange, a real FILL STATION will probably be a bit less than the $1/lb rate at the stores.

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
:crackup:Hahahaha...That brings back memories. So true about the chain. I can remember the strange dotted burn (several times) on my hand from grabbing the propane cylinder where the chain was now resting after having been right next to the hot globe. It's claimed a few other victims over the years.

I have a 25 year old Century Tool match light version that was made in cooperation with Primus (the unregulated one on the left in the picture). Surprised you can still buy them actually. I fitted an aftermarket spark ignitor exactly like this one to it when I bought it, so starting it has never been an issue.

I agree about the mantel durability, but I haven't put that many on mine. In fact, I still have some spares mantles that are so old, they contain thorium oxide. My single #21 liquid fuel Coleman does hold up much better, but then again, I don't backpack with it. That old Century/Primus is still working. These days it sits atop of my propane distribution pole to help out when we're doing dishes at camp, so the hot chain is no longer a concern. True they are rare today, but I still have the optional frosted Primus globe I bought for it 25 years ago. It's nice additional soft light, but does limit the output to that of about a 25 watt bulb.

Anyway, good choice on the Coleman. Of my many lanterns, the liquid fuel is my favorite. I also have the tree hook. It's a great accessory and makes a lot more sense than a nail in the tree. I have the reflector for mine which I use to keep the light where I want it and out of other camper's eyes.

Yeah, as Blacklight said...I believe the regular dualfuel is 1.3 pints, where the DF Powerhouse is deflinitely 2 pints (1 Qt).

Illum_the_nation, I had one of those, like 20 years ago....one problem was that when hanging, unless it was really damn cold out, the chain would get pretty hot. I guess it was because of the fact that the chains connections were right above the mantle, as opposed to more off to the sides. Also, that double-sided tied mantle was more prone to breaking about when jostled, such as hiking with it. I had to replace that ******* almost every weekend before giving up and hiking with the larger regular-globed lantern in my pack.

It still was nice because it was light and didn't take up much space; I just found it less reliable than the standard-globed 1-mantle. That and I burned the crap outta my hand about 10 times grabbing the chain without thinking.

The Coleman "PerfectFlow" line is the gas regulated ones, btw....just like a 123 cell, they drop out real quick right near the end. It's definitely noticeable, vs the old less-regulated stuff.

Seriously, I wish I could go back in time and find out who stole my regular old coleman 1-mantle propane lantern in college. That thing was the best. 8-10 hrs on a tank on full-burn, I had a flint aftermarket ignitor-sparker mounted on it, and a 6lb refillable propane tank with a 12" tree for week-long trips. Used it all through junior high, high school, and most of college. Probably 30-40 1lb tanks through it, and maybe 10-15 refills of the 6lb'er (which cost the same to refill as a disposeable 1lb'er!!! $2.50ish!!!).

Last edited: