Best CR123A batteries? What do you use?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just discovered that half of my two year old Battery Station cell where dead! Sanyo's from the same age group are still good to go.

Last edited:

Mike89

Enlightened
Titanium. A buck a piece. CR123a lights pull a lot of juice at high voltage to get the brightness (which is what everyone wants). There is a price to this though. CR123a batteries were really never designed for a flashlight to begin with. They are just not going to last that long no matter which brand you use. You want to pay big bucks for a battery that will last no longer (or not any longer that's going to make any noticeable difference), be my guest. I'll stick with paying a buck a piece or lower. Better yet, you want more longevity in a flashlight, don't get one with cr123a batteries.

destro72

Newly Enlightened
Is there any difference in output/brightness between a rechargeable cr123, and a non-rechargeable one?

mrlysle

Enlightened
The RCR123's come off the charger at 4.2 volts. So, in some cases, in lights designed to take them, they're brighter than primaries, because of the higher voltage. They only have about half the capacity though, so your runtime will be shorter.

aimxplode

Enlightened
Rayovac's are great. They are made in USA at the same factory as the Surefires/Energizers/Panasonics and they are only $15 for 12 at batteryjunction.

HighLumens

Enlightened
Titanium. A buck a piece. CR123a lights pull a lot of juice at high voltage to get the brightness (which is what everyone wants). There is a price to this though. CR123a batteries were really never designed for a flashlight to begin with. They are just not going to last that long no matter which brand you use. You want to pay big bucks for a battery that will last no longer (or not any longer that's going to make any noticeable difference), be my guest. I'll stick with paying a buck a piece or lower. Better yet, you want more longevity in a flashlight, don't get one with cr123a batteries.

Do you mean flashlights powered by cr123's have shorter runtime than other ones, like AA powered flashlights?

I hope I'm not turning this thread into a "AA vs CR123" thread, but I'm quite disappointed since I see cr123 powered flashlights usually have better runtimes than any other battery option (at the same brightness level).

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any of the USA made cells are fine. They are all made in the same place (there is only one lithium battery factory in the U.S.).

aaronu

Newly Enlightened
Just because two batteries are made in the same factory doesn't mean they are identical. If two companies commission a factory to make a product, each may have different requirements to the factory on specs, tolerances, quality and pricing.

I can easily imagine a company like SureFire having very specific requirements for their battery manufacturer and just as easily imagine Rayovac being more concerned with pricing and logistics.

That said, does anyone have insight on whether SureFire, Energizer, Panasonic and/or Rayovac are identical under the label or if there are any specification or quality differences between them?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use surefire CR123's simply due to the fact that my local lowes has them 2 for $5. They sell for cheaper online but once you factor in shipping the price evens out, and going to lowes means no wait for delivery.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I use streamlight I get them at my local Electrical wholesale house $18.50 DOZ. They placed top 5 in all catagories in the 123 shootout.

pelotonjon

Newly Enlightened
4Sevens are the cheapest I can find, and they have worked out well for me so far.

Lightfoot98

Newly Enlightened
Went to Lowe's today to pick up more Surefire CR123's, and they were marked at $2.99.
Needles to say, I bought all that were left. (11 2X packs).

Normaly they're $4.30 here.

All had exp of 5-2021

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went to Lowe's today to pick up more Surefire CR123's, and they were marked at $2.99.
Needles to say, I bought all that were left. (11 2X packs).

Normaly they're $4.30 here.

All had exp of 5-2021

Wow, that's a great deal. I wish I would have checked my local Lowe's to see if we had the same sale. I sure do wish my lowes would start carrying the 12 packs, but my hometown is so small that I imagine the demand is very little.

DutyLight

Newly Enlightened
So far I am using an 18650 in my Klarus XT10, however I saw a graph somewhere here on CPF that showed Evergreen brand compared to surefire, and the graphs were nearly identical, so I may get some from ebay.

menoceros

Newly Enlightened
I buy my 123s at Amazon. Thye have Streamlight for about $18.50/doz. I buy 2 packs and get free shipping. Made in USA and I have had great servive from them.

Mattssacre

Newly Enlightened
I can tell you from personal experience that the Panasonic's are awesome batteries. These are the batteries that are issued to the USMC as well as other branches of the military. For a price usually half that (or better) of Surefire batteries, they preform just as well.

Latest posts