Best flat regulated 1W AA <$40?

LowTEC

Enlightened
datiLED said:
OK, now I have my list made. I have them in order based on what I percieve to be the best value, based on my needs.

Fenix Civictor - $27 shipped
Lumapower LM301 - $20 shipped
Fenix L1P - $32.26 shipped (15% discount applied)
Fenix E1 - $23.99 shipped

However, I am tempted to get the L1P since it is discontinued. I believe that the other lights are still in production, which will allow me to get them at will, as finances allow.

I am going to do some more digging to see how these lights compare to each other in construction and features. I prefer a natural finish, but if the price is right, I can deal with any color, really.

What have I gotten myself into?

Derek

Civictor is not regulated, at all. You will have to use at least a NiMH or Lithium battery for its "flatness" characteristic. And it is the brightest on the list, so bang for the buck for sure. But since you are also looking at L1T, which comes with a handy clickie, regulated, 2 brightness level and the possibility to use 14500 battery if u happen to go all out with brightness ( I would ), I think it would be the best bet

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my experience, the Fenix L1T is regulated on LOW, not HI. On HI, it behaves just like the Civictor V1. However, the V1 uses a lesser Bin and is therefore dimmer or has more tint. Mine is greenish.

arty

Enlightened
I have the E1, L1P and Civictor. The L1P and Civictor have similar light output, but the L1P is a little larger but more convenient to use - with a clickie. The only reason to get a Civictor would be to have a smaller light and to save about $5.
The E1 is not in the same league. It puts out much less light, and the beam is ringy.
The L1P would be my choice. It puts out plenty of light and is fine for walking in the dark with a dog, or anything else you want. I like it.

If you need or want a smaller size, then pay your $ and make your choice.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moat said:
This looks like a winner. Excellent price, too (on sale @ J.S.Burley's - $22). Flat, flat, FLAT (thanks, Chevro! ...err... kaerfo...).

Aarrghh!! Must resist!

He has some left with the old circuit, so be sure to ask for one of the new ones.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
Another graph for this light. http://lights.chevrofreak.com/runtimes/AA%20cells.png

Over 5 hours on a lithium. Light output is about 20 lumens.

OK, chevrofreak...that did it. I just sent PayPal to J.S. Burley for one Huntlight FTA2 with the new circuit.

Next in line is the Lumapower LM302. I really only want the LM301, but the extra battery tube may come in handy. I may as well get it while I am at it.

And, the best part of all? Both lights cost a mere $27 each, shipped!

Thanks to everyone who helped out here!

Derek

...Come to think of it, the Civictor is $27, too. Next!?