The Huntlight FTA2 gets a new circuit

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huntlight put a new circuit in their FTA2 series lights and JonSidneyB sent one to me to compare to the old light. The new one is the FT-03XJ-A2, and it has a natural color hard anodized finish. The old one was the Huntlight FT03PJ-A2 and had a black type 2 finish. The FT03PJ-A2 gets this new circuit as well.

The new circuit decreases the output of the light, but runtime is drastically increased, and it produces the most level line I've ever seen from a single AA alkaline light. I may even call it regulated, since that's what it looks like!

Huntlight%20FT-03XJ-A2.png

Those Kirkland alkalines sure do well with their 20 cent a piece price tag from Costco!

here's one versus the old FT03PJ-A2

Huntlight%20FT-03XJ-A2%20vs%20FT03PJ-A2.png

overall, I think the brightness is a good trade off for the runtime

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chevrofreak, that is impressive. It looks like the small decrease in output would be barely perceptable to the human eye and wow a almost doubling of the output using nimh's. I like the light and plan on getting a couple for Christmas presents. My only small complaint is that compared to the L1P, the transition from hot spot to spill light is a bit ringy.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy said:
Chevrofreak, that is impressive. It looks like the small decrease in output would be barely perceptable to the human eye and wow a almost doubling of the output using nimh's. I like the light and plan on getting a couple for Christmas presents. My only small complaint is that compared to the L1P, the transition from hot spot to spill light is a bit ringy.

I hadn't noticed the rings on any of the ones I've seen (4 FTA2's now) so maybe your LED module isnt fully screwed into the head?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
That runtime is incredible on the rechargable cell! Looks like a graph for a L2P, not a single AA light.

flame2000

Enlightened
Any pics of the light with it's new natural coat? :)
Huntlight is definitely fast in improving & upgrading their light!:goodjob:

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this easy enough to take apart and check?

chevrofreak said:
I hadn't noticed the rings on any of the ones I've seen (4 FTA2's now) so maybe your LED module isnt fully screwed into the head?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
flame2000 said:
Huntlight is definitely fast in improving & upgrading their light!:goodjob:

Exactly what I was thinking as well. I thought Fenix moved fast in making more models, but Huntlight is revising their current line and improving on them with lightning speed! This one looks like and awesome light to give out as Christmas presents, and is on my list now as well!

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy said:
Is this easy enough to take apart and check?

If you look down into the reflector and see any sort of gap between the "body" of the LED (below the dome) and the bottom of the reflector it isn't screwed in far enough. You wouldn't need to take it apart unless it is visible, and even then all you'd really need to do is use a small screwdriver or snap ring plyers to try to tighten the module into the head more.

flame2000

Enlightened
Very impressive indeed. Almost 4hr on a 2650mAh Ni-MH.
Can't wait to see the runtime on a E2 lithium. :rock:

Only concern is how much output did they reduced.

europium

Enlightened
DragonFlame said:
Observing the values from the graph, it looks like they reduced the output by 50%.
Actually, it looks like about a 30% reduction (from approx. 425 to approx. 290 at the left uppermost point of the graph).

Any comparison graphs with the L1P?

Beamshots?

Eu

P.S.--Thanks as always to Chevro for the time and effort.

kevinm

Enlightened
Thanks for the plot, Chev. Three questions:

1. How's the build quality?
2. How much are they?
3. Are they available?

I've not heard back from Jon.

Thanks,
Kevin

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chevrofreak, in your eyes, is the brightness difference all that much to the human eye. Kevin I think the build quality is equal or better then an L1P. The only thing that puzzles me about my one FT-A2 is that every once in a blue moon when I click the switch, it doesn't come on. I then click the switch twice more, once for off and then again for back on and it comes on fine. Not sure why.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
flame2000 said:
Can't wait to see the runtime on a E2 lithium.

I don't know that I'll be doing one, but I'll see what I can do.
europium said:
Actually, it looks like about a 30% reduction (from approx. 425 to approx. 290 at the left uppermost point of the graph).

Any comparison graphs with the L1P?

Beamshots?

Eu

These numbers are taken right at the start:

Huntlight FT03PJ-A2 - Kirkland alkaline: 417 - (est 29.79 lumens)
Huntlight FT03PJ-A2 - Duracell 2650mAh Ni-MH: 421 - (est 30.07 lumens)

Huntlight FT-03XJ-A2 - Kirkland alkaline: 286 - (est 20.43 lumens)
Huntlight FT-03XJ-A2 - Duracell 2650mAh Ni-MH: 298 - (est 21.29 lumens)

No beamshots, but here is a graph
Huntlight%20FT-03XJ-A2%20vs%20Fenix%20L1P%20V2.5.png

kevinm said:
Thanks for the plot, Chev. Three questions:

1. How's the build quality?
2. How much are they?
3. Are they available?

I've not heard back from Jon.

Thanks,
Kevin

Build quality is pretty good. I don't think it's quite equal to Fenix, but it isn't far behind. As far as price, if you're refering to the new hard anodized model, I'm not sure. I don't know if Jon has them added to the site, or if they will just be replacing the old FTA2 instead of being another light.
geepondy said:
Chevrofreak, in your eyes, is the brightness difference all that much to the human eye. Kevin I think the build quality is equal or better then an L1P. The only thing that puzzles me about my one FT-A2 is that every once in a blue moon when I click the switch, it doesn't come on. I then click the switch twice more, once for off and then again for back on and it comes on fine. Not sure why.
Unless I compare them side by side I don't see a difference. Even then it's pretty hard to see.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chevrofreak, I realize this question may come down to personal decisions but at this point if you were going to buy lights for Christmas presents, would you buy Fenix L1P's or Huntlight FT-A2's.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy said:
Chevrofreak, I realize this question may come down to personal decisions but at this point if you were going to buy lights for Christmas presents, would you buy Fenix L1P's or Huntlight FT-A2's.

Easy question, it would have to be the FTA2, the L1P is discontinued :grin2:

Were the L1P not discontinued it would be a hard choice. I really do like them both. I've been using the FTA2 to drain my used alkalines lately, so it's been getting a lot of use.

My sleep schedule and the rain have been screwing up my chance for daylight pics, so I snapped a quick pic of the light next to my Surefire E2e, Fenix E1, and Huntlight FT-A3. It's not that great of a pic, but it'll give you an idea.

FT-A3_E1_FT-A2_E2e.jpg

flame2000

Enlightened
chevrofreak said:
Easy question, it would have to be the FTA2, the L1P is discontinued :grin2:

Were the L1P not discontinued it would be a hard choice. I really do like them both. I've been using the FTA2 to drain my used alkalines lately, so it's been getting a lot of use.

My sleep schedule and the rain have been screwing up my chance for daylight pics, so I snapped a quick pic of the light next to my Surefire E2e, Fenix E1, and Huntlight FT-A3. It's not that great of a pic, but it'll give you an idea.

FT-A3_E1_FT-A2_E2e.jpg

The nat. colour looks better than the first black version! This one is on my list.:rock: