"Best" lower-cost auxiliary driving lamps?

LightCrazy

Enlightened
You were really displeased with the hella 500 driving lights. I am getting ready to order the 500FF fog version and put the range power + 50 bulbs in them. Would you consider the 500FF versions terrible as well?

opposite locker

Newly Enlightened
Can't comment on the fog versions, but if the output & beam focus is anything like my non-FF driving beams, I'd opt for something else. There's a guy on eBay selling the compact 100 clear fogs for < $100/pair including bulbs & wiring. At that price, Ive been considering putting a set on my work truck, but don't really need them as the factory Hella fogs work just fine.

For reference, the Compact 100 driving lights with Narva bulbs and shipping cost me nearly twice that amount (not including switch & wiring)

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Do the hella fog lights on your work truck have the FF reflector? I can't imagine the 500FF fogs not being better than any pilot or optronics brand you see in the chain stores.

opposite locker

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if they're free form, but here's a link to show you what they look like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dodge-Ram-2006-2008-Complete-Fog-light-Fog-lamp-Kit-OEM-Mopar-/230749054586?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35b9b7267a#ht_946wt_689

I too would be surprised if the 500 FF fogs weren't at least as good as factory fog lights, but then again the German-made 500's I had previously were quite inferior in beam and light distribution to my stock high beams...they put a little bit of light everywhere, but not a whole lot where I needed it.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I'm not the expert, but the 100FF driving lights I have on my Blazer throw out one heck of a nice beam with 55W bulbs. They also look like they have a deeper reflector than the 500 series. Maybe the 500FF fog is decent, and the driving version has too shallow of a reflector in it to make it a good long range lamp? Just guessing.