Best protected cells for driving the Olight X7 in turbo mode?

SlappyPappy

Newly Enlightened
I just acquired an Olight X7 and have read lots of conflicting threads on its battery needs, particularly when it comes to activating Turbo S mode. The consensus in most threads seems to be unprotected Samsung 30Qs or Sony VTC6s, but I'm hesitant to start using unprotected cells in series. Are there protected cells that folks have gotten to drive turbo S mode decently (including when the voltage has dropped below 4V)? I'd prefer not to shell out $80 for the Olight wrapped black labels if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance!

fmc1

Enlightened
I use Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA's in mine, they are rated at 10A and work fine. IMR battery lists them for 5 dollars each last I checked. Mine are unprotected button tops but protected ones are available for a little more money if you want. I have some Samsung 30Q's rated at 15A but they are flat tops and will not make contact in the light. I have never seen a protected Samsung 30Q's. I don't know who sells them if anyone does. I'm not 100% sure if I have run the batteries down below 4V and used turbo S mode but I want to say I have done it since I normally wait for the side indicator to see if the batteries need charging. On page one of the instructions that come with the light. It's says for 9000 lumens the current must be over 8A and for 5500 lumens the current must be over 5A for all four batteries. Because this info was printed by Olight and included with the light I took it as accurate and didn't think I needed something over 10A.
Don't forget the light could step down due to heat even though there is plenty of current. Their 2.5 and 8 minute claims for turbo and turbo S are accurate IMHO.
Good luck with the light.

Latest posts