Best Quality AA to D Cell Adapter?

Rev_Joe

Newly Enlightened
Ugg WHY is it so expensive!? The description doesn't even say made from the best grade metals to minimize resistance, or anything justifying the price tag. I MIGHT pay $10 for it, but that would be my max.
Not sure if this thread is dead or not, but I just visited this site and it is now down to $9.95. Same price for either SERIES or PARALLEL. Price goes down for bulk buying. Plus shipping, though it was not that bad (like, $3 for super saver shipping for me).
I found this thread searching for adapters for some conversion projects I am thinking of.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if this thread is dead or not, but I just visited this site and it is now down to $9.95. Same price for either SERIES or PARALLEL. Price goes down for bulk buying. Plus shipping, though it was not that bad (like, $3 for super saver shipping for me).
I found this thread searching for adapters for some conversion projects I am thinking of.

Just to let you know, $10 each for adaptors is MORE than just getting actual Tenergy Premium or Centura D cells. And that doesn't even count the cost of buying AA batteries (If you need to buy them). Given all the other pitfalls of adaptors (like resistance, reliability, AND lower capacity), I would seriously reconsider the adaptor route when you can buy a pair of Centura D cells for $16.99 at Fry's.

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
These were mentioned on BLF last year at over twice the price. Just got them, and they seem like the holy grail - 3 parallel, solid construction, $2.30 each shipped in a 10 pack. Singles also available as well as yellow color from the same seller on the 'bay (fenggang18). Just search in his store for "parallel" and you will get the short list, he has a large inventory.

OK, we'll do it without a link. I figured since the thread already contained a link outside CPF proper to Battery Junction, it would be OK, but maybe not since they are members here, and the above seller, as far as I know, is not. Still a cinch to find with a couple of searches. PM me if you are interested and fail to find it.

Last edited:

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Thanks. Not supposed to post links except to CPF member businesses but these look pretty decent and are certainly less expensive than the versions listed by Battery Junction who are a CPF member. Are the ends steel or plated brass which might be a better electrical conductor? I do wonder about the adapter internal and contact resistance at the inter cells contact points at high current levels as likely to see in a Fenix TK70 or similar stacked adapters application.

BTW the $9.95 price each for the BJ versions was apparently a sale price as they are back up to the old price.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. magnet says the end plates and springs (of course) are all steel. No problems at around 2 amps in my 2-D lights. Maybe not good for higher current draws, but I mostly wanted them for 2-3 D LED Mag lights and my Rayovac 3-D lantern, so I think they will be fine for that. How much current does a TK70 draw?

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Per HJKs review of the Fenix TK70 it draws 7.5 amps, 36 watts, in Turbo mode and just under 2 amps in High mode. Considerable current in Turbo which is why I doubt if it could even be run in Turbo mode for any length of time using alkaline batteries with their high internal resistance. I did order a set of the adapters as at the price they are hard to pass up. I have the yellow ones coming.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
The soshine ones don't really work to warn anyone wanting to purchase them. They're shorter than an actual D cell and dont make contact in three lights I've tried

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
The soshine ones don't really work to warn anyone wanting to purchase them. They're shorter than an actual D cell and dont make contact in three lights I've tried

Thanks for the warning. As a hobbyist machinist I could make any spacers needed to get them to work in most applications but it would be a major annoyance. Do you have any accurate measurements as to how much too short they are? A totally stupid mistake on Soshine's part.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok dimensionally they're actually just slightly longer. That being said they still don't work. You have to slap the back of the flashlight or shake it to get intermittent connection. Only works while you're hitting it. Not sure why as the cells make food contact inside and there is a positive nipple on them

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Ok dimensionally they're actually just slightly longer. That being said they still don't work. You have to slap the back of the flashlight or shake it to get intermittent connection. Only works while you're hitting it. Not sure why as the cells make good contact inside and there is a positive nipple on them

Interesting! I have a couple of what I suspect are the Soshines coming from Amazon so I will see what I can figure out. I do have a background in electronics, though now dated. The first computers I maintained in the Navy were vacuum tube, a pair of Univac 1103A systems.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I received the 3 AA in parallel to D cell Chinese adapters last night. IMO good quality for the price. AA Eneloops are at the maximum length the adapters can hold. I installed Eneloops in two of the adapters and put them in my Fenix TK50 light. It ran for 3 hours at maximum output with no problem though the batteries were almost fully discharged at that point and the beam dim. IMO if you prefer to primarily stick with AA rechargeable batteries these adapters are a viable method of using AA cells in lights intended for D cells. The same Ebay source has other battery adapters too.

Antares

Newly Enlightened
These were mentioned on BLF last year at over twice the price. Just got them, and they seem like the holy grail - 3 parallel, solid construction, $2.30 each shipped in a 10 pack. Singles also available as well as yellow color from the same seller on the 'bay (fenggang18). Just search in his store for "parallel" and you will get the short list, he has a large inventory.

I received the 3 AA in parallel to D cell Chinese adapters last night.

@Hondo / @Richwouldnt -- did you have those shipped to the US and did you have to pay any import duties / taxes / charges?

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I have never been charged duty on a China buy of any kind. As I recall the declared value has to be $200 or more before customs even begins to worry about import duties. MUCH more liberal in that respect than most of the world including the EEC.

Antares

Newly Enlightened
Yes, to Michigan. No, just the $3 shipping, if memory serves.

Ok, thank you.

I have never been charged duty on a China buy of any kind. As I recall the declared value has to be $200 or more before customs even begins to worry about import duties. MUCH more liberal in that respect than most of the world including the EEC.

Oh, is that right? I don't think I've had something shipped from China / Hong Kong before and I've been fuzzy on how the import duties sitatuation would work. That'd be convenient if it's not even an issue under $200. Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet (although I see @Richwouldnt in the thread), but in the BLF thread that I imagine @Hondo is referring to, there's a link to ones that look similar to the ebay ones @Hondo referenced, but at 1/2 the quantity (5) and about 1/2 the price. I guess I can't post a link here?

moodysj

Newly Enlightened
Ebay seller tonyhny sells them for around $3 ea or less (depending on quantity). These don't have the high-current warning (don't use over 1 amp etc) some of the other ones do. They appear to be constructed well and so far in using them at around 3-4 amps (total), I haven't noticed any ill effects.

Latest posts