Best quality Mag reflector replacement?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to source a metal reflector for a ROP and wondering what might be the best quality (available) option, but my searches are not turning up very much. Can anyone give me any hints? Has anyone done comparative tests with beam shots--looking at beam quality, profile accuracy, surface reflectivity and other qualities? Is there an objectively best choice for a drop-in replacement metal reflector for a Mag? For instance I've been looking at Phoenix who advertise here and have an idea they would be shortlisted. Are there any detailed reviews of their reflectors? (I have not found any in searching.)

Links to any threads or sources of information would be welcomed.

tolkaze

Enlightened
CPF Member FiveMega has various Al maglite reflectors that I would rate highly. There are numerous types (including deep reflectors with extension and reflectors for magcharger)

Dual Function Cam / Camless reflector
Bifocal Reflector
Ver 2 Deep Reflector

You may be able to find beamshots in the threads listed, I know the deep reflector is good for tighter throw, but not sure if the ROP would put the filiment at the right height for optimum throw... you would have to ask, or read up

There are others on the forum too, however since Mag's are getting less popular (just by a little bit) every day, some of the threads may contain old information or the seller may not be selling anymore.

If you want something from a store, try kaidomain or similar, they have various versions, I suggest something with OP to smooth out the beam, and removeable cam so you have future upgradeability. The difference between OP and Smooth is noticeable with incan and LED, but both are possibly just a little bit shallower than the stock one, so may not throw as well.

Oh yeah, one more thing, make sure that with whatever mod you do, to check the diameter of the opening on the reflector... larger mods may not fit through the 14mm hole and you may have to increase the size

Last edited:

FBsLights

Newly Enlightened
I have a few Mag reflectors that I've tried with the ROP bulbs. I have the FM BiFocal, FM Deep SMO, FM Deep VLOP, FM 2.5" Throw Master, KD SMO, and KD OP.

Of these, I recommend the FM Deep VLOP. It is by far my favorite with the ROP high. The Throw Master is very good but is big and expensive. The deep adds a little length to the mag body but throws VERY good and the VLOP texture is perfect for smoothing out the beam and keeping good throw. There is a chrome VLOP deep (blemished) listed in the FM link above for a great price. I bought a blemished head from FM and couldn't even find the blem.

If you want a softer, flood beam, the KD OP reflector is OK for cheap.

I have found comparisons of these reflectors on this forum, but I don't know the links. They are not easy to find since they are older.

FB

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several different Chinese reflectors, mostly OP. The best throwing reflector that I have is FM bifocal. Be sure to get a glass lens.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
ver2 deep reflector, great with rop, even better with 1185, i have bifocal, and 2,5" throwmaster, 2,5" one works great with big bulbs, for rop it has too big of an opening, bi focal is good gives you good combo of flood and throw, but nothing beats ver2 deep with 1185, 300+ yards easy reach.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for the responses. I'll have to keep the v2 deep reflector in mind, but right now I am looking to stay with the stock Mag head and I don't mind a slightly floody beam.

So nobody has tried a Phoenix reflector? All my searches for Phoenix around the forum turn up blank on reviews.