Mag-lites circa 1983.

soldonsurefire

Newly Enlightened
These are two from that year.
DSCN2685.JPG

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I forgot how expensive bulbs were back then. And not as bright or reliable. Or course they "seemed" bright.

Kinda like when incan Surefires came out they seemed a lot brighter than they do now. Not that brightness is even half of the story of course, we are in the incan forum after all.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those eveready bulbs had a horizontal filament, producing an absolute laser beam of light. I could _see_ items at 200 yard with a 2d mag back then with this bulb.
Are you sure you dont mean a vertical filament, like in this bulb? Ive used these in a Maglite to good effect. I think newer ones returned to a conventional horizontal wire, unfortunately.

Here is a picture of one of mine. Halostar 64410. Only 10W but lasts long & throws far for its output. Very practical bulbs for general use.
HS64410.JPG

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you still buy those 2 cell Krypton bulbs?

I see them on ebay and online retailers from time to time. Honestly I haven't looked for any in store in about twenty years since I have a good stash and the xenon ones are so much better anyways. But they are usually more touchy for over driving.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Are you sure you dont mean a vertical filament, like in this bulb? Ive used these in a Maglite to good effect. I think newer ones returned to a conventional horizontal wire, unfortunately.

Here is a picture of one of mine. Halostar 64410. Only 10W but lasts long & throws far for its output. Very practical bulbs for general use.
View attachment 42708

100% sure. It was a next gen looking bulb back in the 80s. The tip had a little curve where it was snipped off. Filament was horizontal and held with clamped 'risers'. Looked a LOT like a osram/carly/high-end type bulb.

Latest posts