Best skin light?

Dave Wright

Enlightened
LEDs do indeed have lower color rendering index figures than incandescents. A simple test demonstrates this: use incandescent and LED lights to illuminate something with widely varying colors - like your tie rack. The LED looks "whiter" but the colors are overall flatter. The new Warm White Luxeon may be the best choice, but I'm not aware of any stock lights that use them yet. Less efficient.

Despite the lower CRI, a regular luxeon might be the best choice. Go Arc4+ if adjustable output is required. Otherwise, consider the Arc LSHF-P. The Fraen optic puts out a clean, white, very even "wall" of light. No hunting around to keep the hotspot on the wound. One of the earliest impressions that came to mind when I started using my LSHF-P was how much its output looked like a surgical light.

A caution: some people have commented that lights used in emergency service should be disposable on account of infection risk after being splashed by a HIV-positive patient. I doubt that your hospital's CSS department would be willing to sterilize your personal light. Steam wouldn't work anyway. You might use a Sterrad or ETO.

DOCSMYNAME

Newly Enlightened
Dave, Thanks for the Info. I work I in long term care a.k.a. "nursing homes". The majority of suggestions are pointing to the arc 4+. Could a SFE1E be moded with a warm white luxeon and have good output? I do like the adjustability of the arc4+. I really like the form factor of both the SF and the arc4. I do not want a light that is to small. again thanks to everyone for their input thus far. Please keep the suggestions coming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see the suggestion of the L1-917 from McGizmo.
Take a look web page
It looks like it might be a good candidate for what you need. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nobodys mentioned the VIP from MrBulk!

Awesome form factor, meets all your criteria, cheaper than an Arc 4.

See the VIP thread in the custom lights forum.

Bill

DOCSMYNAME

Newly Enlightened
bwaites, thanks on the VIP list, any other suggestions from users? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Docsmyname,
I'm a UK paramedic and often need to examine skin or find access for venepuncture. having used numerous lights incandescent and LED's and have settled on the KL1 on an E2e as the best I've yet to find. I'm supported in this observation by my colleagues who have also commented on how well this works.

Kl1 (and you need a good one) will surprise you!

Doug

richpalm

Banned
Stock KL1's tend to the purple/greenie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif side of things. I hated mine and changed it out-bad purple.

This might call for a mod-a high dome Q3J emitter is brighter with a nice creamy white color. Drop one of those in to whatever head you get and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Also, maybe the Pelican M6 LED? But it is so white it tends toward the higher color temps-might not give you the color rendition that you want... but it sure is a nice light!

(Yes, I'm in the med field also)

Good luck!

Rich

DOCSMYNAME

Newly Enlightened
Richpalm, I have a Pelican M6 LED and Incan., Infinity ultra, Inova X1 white beam, and a Garity Incan. pen light and LED white beam "squeeze light", and a Dorcy AAA single LED. None of these lights quite fit my needs I am on the list for a VIP and FF2 but at the current rate I will not be able to afford the batteries and will be using MATCHES for my assessments!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Cmoore

Enlightened
One of the best color rendring LED lights I've seen is the UK 4AA eLED. It's not very bright; but, I would think it would work fine for your intended use. If a small form factor is important to you, you can use the head on a UK 2L (2x123 body). Excellent regulation and runtime too.

DOCSMYNAME

Newly Enlightened
Cmoore, thanks I see that the UK4AA LED is highly rated I will have to research the UK2L /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Any other lights ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Cmoore

Enlightened
DOCSMYNAME, The UK 2L is an ican; but, the head from the UK 4AA eLED fits it. By doing the head swap, you get the small form factor with the same light output as the 4 AA eLED.