fil7

Newly Enlightened
Re: opinions please

I was thinking of armytek, armytek it is, cheers, is the Viking x any good

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic

Many like the armytek lights. I don't have any, so I can't speak of them first hand, but the Viking won't meet your needs at 200 yards. It won't even come close.

fil7

Newly Enlightened

I really like the sounds of a barracuda but is there anything similar not so long in the body or as fat as the tn 31 if not I will get the barracuda or tn 31, cheers fil7

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic

You're going to need a 2 or 3 cell 18650 light. The only one that I know of that takes two side by side is the TK35, and while a great light, it doesn't have the throw you need.

ven

Flashaholic
Re: budget

As said check some shops out like flashoholics for ideas,there are lots to choose,depends on what cells you want to run be it AA or 18650 for example.
Check some fenix/nitecore/armytek/sunwayman just to name some good value lights to start with(plenty more).Do you want just throw,or flood too etc etc

Check some reviews out on here:D
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?19-Flashlight-Reviews

fil7

Newly Enlightened

luxxlightsaber

Enlightened

Luxxlightsaber to the rescue me lads k40vn 6500k dedome. Excellent size and balance incredible throw no pencil beam superb quality. With this kind of power you can lamp little green men. Huuu!

fil7

Newly Enlightened

I'd like to recommend the fasttech Convoy C8 Cree XM-L T6-3C 2-Group 3/5-Mode LED Flashlight with the 2800 ma driver.

how far will this throw as I cant find much information on it, cheers fil7

Poppy

Flashaholic

Luxxlightsaber to the rescue me lads k40vn 6500k dedome. Excellent size and balance incredible throw no pencil beam superb quality. With this kind of power you can lamp little green men. Huuu!

Are they still available? I thought he did his forty light run and they were sold out in two weeks.

I mentioned the supbeam K30 above, I meant the K40 (thinking TN30 ooops)

fil7

Newly Enlightened

sorry for asking basic questions but I am new to the world of torches, cheers fil7

Poppy

Flashaholic

Poppy

Flashaholic

I see that solarforceflashlight-sales has:
BLACK FRIDAY DEAL!! Solarforce M9 XM-L2 U2 1000 Lumens 550 Meters throw Flashlight
on sale for $67 it may be worth a look.

agnelucio

Newly Enlightened
Re: best led

The XML2 U2, will be the best, as it provides the greatest output per watt.

This means that it produces the most light of the three, and will therefore give you more light at a long distance.

Also, are you getting one with a smooth reflector, as this will give the best throw.

Good choice of light BTW. :thumbsup:

fil7

Newly Enlightened

thankyou , cheers fil7 ( smooth reflecter)

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: help please

I cant decide between solarforce m9 or armytek baraccuda for distance of 200m I know it says 500m but what is usable distance, cheers fil7

Usable is in the eyes of the user...in other words, what you need to see at a range will dictate what light level is adequate.

For example, you want 200 m of usable range...

If you use the ANSI 0.25 lux on target to decide, it says a light rated at 10,000 cd (10k cd) would give you 0.25 at 200 Meters.

If you wanted to see that your beam was on something, but not what it was on, that would be a bare minimum.

If you wanted to see if a man in a white suit was out there, you might need closer to 0.5 lux, and therefore closer to ~ 20k cd.

If you wanted to tell if the man changed into a brown suit and was still there or not, or if he had a dog, etc, you might need closer to 5 - 15 lux to spot him...or ~ 200k - 600k cd....a big jump.

If a light gives ONLY its ANSI range (Range to 0.25 lux), then you just take HALF of that in meters, and square it, to get the cd.

So if a light lists 500 M as its ANSI Range, take 250, and square it, to get 62,500 cd.

62,500 cd would be enough to put about 1.5 lux on something 200 M away.

What are you wanting to be able to see?

wjv

Enlightened

The standard used by most flashlight makers for throw is something like 'at what point does the light illuminate the target with a lux of ~0.25". This is about equivalent to moonlight. For most people, at a couple hundred meters all that will do is tell you that "something is there". Depending on your eyes you really need 2-4 lux to actually be able to resolve what it is that you are illuminating.

The short version is: I typically cut 40% off the stated "beam range" to give a more realistic (usable) estimate. If you want to play it safe, cut the stated range in half. So if your really want to illuminate something at 200m, look for a light that has a range of 335m-400m depending on how conservative you wish to be.

Edit: looks like TEEJ and I were writing at the same time. . .

Last edited:

fil7

Newly Enlightened

thanks a lot for explaining, cheers fil7

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well the XM-L2 is an updated version of the XM-L. Not sure why one of the options is "XML-2 XML-2"