• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Beta Tester Impressions of the Pacific

BrightIdeaOSU

Newly Enlightened
The only thing that I think is worth adding right now after Don's excellent review is to emphasize the battery life of this thing. I compared run times to my other peaks running on snow29's and more than three hours later the Pacific was still much brighter than the 1UP Matterhorn on new cells. :wow: I had always thought they were great for runtime given the limitations of running off a single cell, but I guess I was wrong. Unless these Toshiba batts they sent with it are really that much better than the fresh Rayovac Max I had in the Matterhorns, this new circuit is a real electron-miser! Its also worth noting that even after running for hours while standing on a table, it was room temperature, unlike the two Matterhorns which were slightly warm. In fact, I can't think of any torch I have that doesn't heat up at all, even when run for hours like that.

Did anyone else notice that in the 2AAA body, the entire negative terminal assembly, including the threaded tail plug/switch receptacle itself, unscrews? Why?

Oh, and I suspect that the reflector casing can be unscrewed from the emitter/electronics package to change lenses. Notice the hairline on the battery end of the head, where it meets up with the casing? And the two flat faces just above the threading to help unscrew it? I don't have a wrench around that is appropriate for use on brass, so I could be wrong. . .

--Aaron

Freedom1955

Enlightened
BrightIdeaOSU said:
Did anyone else notice that in the 2AAA body, the entire negative terminal assembly, including the threaded tail plug/switch receptacle itself, unscrews? Why?
--Aaron

I saw that too. Peak must have a plan for that.:naughty:

mbely2

Enlightened
Ray_of_Light said:
Does the head of the Pacific fit on the Kilimanjaro / Kino Bay body?

Anthony

I also would like to know answer for this question.

If head does fit on Kilimanjaro body than we probably will be able to put any of 4 heads on one AA body: New Pacific head, single and seven LED Kilimanjaro heads and Kino Bay head for higher output.

It will make "lego"-like universal and entertaining AA light.

Does anyone have answer ?

And thank you all for the great reviews!

Last edited:

tsihcaz

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I got my package on Friday, but had company all weekend, so I finally got to play with the Pacific this evening.

Let me say first that I very much appreciate getting to be a part of the beta testing and was very surprised to get all the available boddies and options, Thank You Peak Led Solutions and MJ.

I won't bother with shots comparing size as Don seemed to get all those taken care of quite well. If anyone wants a size comparison with anything I have, just ask.

I took a few quick pictures in my house as I didn't want to stand outside in the less than tropical 22 degree night. I didn't have a tripod, so some may be a little blurry, but it should give you a general idea of how the Pacific compares to my Carribean, L1P, Inova T3, Minimag w/nite-ize, and my Inova 2AAA Radiant with original led and with snow led.

I guess I should mention that the window blinds are about 22 feet away.

For some reason my camera didn't seem to pick up much of the spill on any of the Pacific pictures. It does put out a usefull amount of spill light, but I guess my camera didn't think so. I will need to check out the settings and so forth on my camera to maybe get better pictures, it was just on the auto setting.

Pacific 1AAA
http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pacific1aaa0za.jpg1
Again, it is deffinately not tunnel vision in the room, the spill does light the floor and you can very easily make your way around the room while holding the light straight forward.

Pacific 2AAA
http://img489.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pacific2aaa2mv.jpg
This answers the question of whether or not the 2AAA is brighter then 1AAA, yes. As others have said, it appears the electronics are quite intelligent.

Pacific 1AA
http://img489.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pacific1aa7sw.jpg
Odd that the light appears much whitter in the image than the AAA pictures, but they are actually quite similar to the eyes not near as dramatic as the picture shows.

Peak Carribean
http://img489.imageshack.us/my.php?image=peakcarribean1by.jpg
As soon as I took these shots, the carribean stared doing the famous pulsing as its falling out of regulation, so the battery was far from fresh. I need to get more CR123's when I buy a CR2.

Fenix L1P
http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fenixl1p0ys.jpg
This was taken with a brand new Rayovac. Obviously brighter and also whiter. I got lucky with the lottery on this one.

Inova T3
http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=inovat33al.jpg
I never noticed it was kinda yellowish.

Minimag 2AA w/Nite-ize
http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2aamagniteize3fu.jpg
Easily beat by the 1AAA Pacific. In usage, the pacific seemed to have more spill light also but this may be an illusion due to the color difference.

Inova Radiant 2AAA
http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=inova2aaaradiant2ce.jpg
Throughout writing this, I've come to assume that the camera doesn't pick up the yellowish spill light of the Pacific. Again the Pacific in all body styles is more usable than this light.

Inova Radiant 2AAA w/snow led
http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=inova2aaaradiantsnow1ry.jpg
This was my experiment to get rid of the hideous blue in the stock light, that works, but got a little dimmer too. I use this light every night after lights out. The Pacific I believe will be a little too bright for this task. I may switch over due to the much brighter hot spot of the Pacific, I can see whether or not the doors are locked from further away, deffinately an advantage of the lux with good reflector over the 5mm with small reflector.

Overall:
My overall opinion on this new series from Peak is generally very positive. I'm a brightness kindof guys, so of course it could be a little brighter, but I'm sure I'll enjoy not having to change batteries very often.

The one thing I have found so far that I didn't like was mentioned by Don above, and its that the O-ring seems a little undersized. There is very little resistance to turn the light on or off. It doesn't matter which body is used, they are all loose, which says something for their good machining abilities. My Carribean is not like that at all, so I'm assuming this is not a normal characteristic of Peak lights.

As you can see in my pictures, the light output is a little on the yellow side. This doesn't present a problem to me as I don't notice unless I'm using two lights at once, and I don't find myself doing that. When in use by itself, to my colorblind eyes, it presents no problem.

Others have said the size is an issue for them, I don't mind the size since any light is too big for my keychain. I simply carry my lights in my pockets, I've never truely understood the keychain thing, oh well. With that in mind, the CR2 pocket body is about a half inch shorter than my Carribean pocket body and the diameter seems a little smaller too. Thats about a quarter of an inch shorter than a chap stick container or tube, whatever you want to call it, and only a little wider or thicker. I'm excited to see what kindof output it will have on a CR2.

Answers to questions:
Will the head fit on other light's bodies, I don't know about the lights you mentioned, but it is much too small to fit the carribean body.

As for the notches on the inside part of the head, I'm assuming that the outside protion of the head (when screwed into a body), will detach from the lower part of the head with the electronics and the reflector and lens will come out. MJ did mention something about a lens kit, so maybe this is how the lens is changed.

Battery life/checking Peaks' adevertised runtimes: I have not done any tests and since I have no way of measuring light output, I don't plan on it. I'll take their word for it.

The issue of weight has been raised and, yes the beta versions were made of brass, and yes they will be heavier than AL versions should be. If anyone wants, I can take the some parts or all to work and weigh them. My carribean is brass, so obviously I don't care much about the weight issue as long as it doesn't drag my pants down. I kindof like the feel of a heavier light, makes it feel more solid if that makes any sense. I also like the look of brass as it ages.

I do have one question though, is the momentary switch water proof, or does installing it on the light jepordize the water resistance. I don't have much use for it, but can deffinately see a use for someone who does a lot of quick inspections in computer boxes, junction boxes or other small dark places.

I hope this was helpful to at least one person. Again I appreciate getting to be a part of the beta testing and welcome any further questions.

tsi

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to say it but peak needs to open up a division that concentrates on nothing but making lights smaller. I mean what good is a AAA based light that is as big as a AA light?:thumbsdow

They are high quality , nicely built lights but whoever is designing these things is clueless. Either that or they are made larger than they need to be to make them cheaper to make.

At this point Peak doesn't even come close to the Fenix L0P even if it is better made and higher tech electronics. They totally missed the point!

Well, I guess more of my money goes to china.

Perhaps it would have been better to do a pass around than to bribe cpfers with free lights.

Last edited:

Freedom1955

Enlightened
xochi said:
I hate to say it but peak needs to open up a division that concentrates on nothing but making lights smaller. I mean what good is a AAA based light that is as big as a AA light?:thumbsdow

They are high quality , nicely built lights but whoever is designing these things is clueless. Either that or they are made larger than they need to be to make them cheaper to make.

At this point Peak doesn't even come close to the Fenix L0P even if it is better made and higher tech electronics. They totally missed the point!

Perhaps it would have been better to do a pass around than to bribe cpfers with free lights.

:wow: :whoopin:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, tsi. Very helpful info., esp. the photos. Seems like a typical Peak high quality light, but I am still trying to figure out how it fits in the scheme of things and whether it's one I want (I started to say "need", but couldn't keep a straight face).

BrightIdeaOSU

Newly Enlightened
xochi said:
They are high quality , nicely built lights but whoever is designing these things is clueless. Either that or they are made larger than they need to be to make them cheaper to make. At this point Peak doesn't even come close to the Fenix L0P even if it is better made and higher tech electronics. They totally missed the point!

Whose point, exactly? If the point were to build a Arc-P replacement, I guess that's a failure. If the point were to build a L1P competitor that gets ten freaking hours on a lithium AA battery, then. . .well, it's a sharp point indeed. Sure, it's not quite as bright for first hour or so: granted. To my eye, it's not that significant to take the shine off that runtime, particularly when the pacific is on three volts. Expecting people to conform to your expectations is bound to end in disappointment

xochi said:
I mean what good is a AAA based light that is as big as a AA light?:thumbsdow:

I find a AA light that can use AAA batteries in a pinch very useful, actually. But, I guess utility is lost on the clueless.

xochi said:

I'll buy yours for 25 if you feel so bribed.

I don't feel that way, I feel like we're trying to make this the best it can be; like this is a noble experiment in community product design. I don't want to come off as an appologista or anything, but I didn't see a single helpful thing in that post, as there is no chance that the torch can be modified to be the torch you seem to want. Now, I'm going to have suggestions; I think we all will in this way or that soon. That's the whole point of throwing some of these things down to us now; not as bribes, as a way to get informed opinions from people. That's the irony; it is a pass around, except we get to keep the examples.

Don't wish for less, you might get it.

--Aaron

NoShadow

Enlightened
xochi said:

What happened??? Was your oatmeal cold this morning?
Send you money wherever you so desire.
I wish they had 'bribed' me with that Pacific Kit. Unnecessary, though, since I have already purchased 20+ Peak lights. But I could have feigned being lured into buying another one.
And they are small enough for me as they are. When I reach into my pocket for my keys, I want to have something to grab ahold of that won't slip out of my wide hand.
The Pacific is what it is to do what it does well. Give out a whole bunch of light in a dark place. Is that not a good thing? And it's not really that large at all. Besides, my Carabbean is looking for a roommate.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
xochi said:

well the fenix is brighter for about a hr and 15 minuts after that the arcAAA P will blow it away to the point at 3 hrs the fenix is useless, i just had a real life test of these lights and thats what i found out, so if 1 hr run time is all you care about then get the fenix if you want hrs more usable light get a arc , there is no need to bash either lights they both serve there purpose , if it does not then you simply selected wrong, are comparing lights with different objectives or do not know the design mission of the light. my 2c

Last edited:

Freedom1955

Enlightened
inq2000 said:
I did runtime test.
it was burn more than 12hours and looks same power at first 4hours.

Your telling me that the Pacific will shine as bright after 12 hrs. as it did after 4?
It's 10.00am here I'm putting in a Alkaline AAA right now.......

DallasA

Enlightened
mbely2 said:
I also would like to know answer for this question.

If head does fit on Kilimanjaro body than we probably will be able to put any of 4 heads on one AA body: New Pacific head, single and seven LED Kilimanjaro heads and Kino Bay head for higher output.

It will make "lego"-like universal and entertaining AA light.

Does anyone have answer ?

And thank you all for the great reviews!

The Answer is no,

Because of the head design a new AA body design had to be made for the future of this unit.

So recap: The Pacific Head will not work on former AA Bodies like the Kilimanjaro or Kino Bay

MJ

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, MJ.

I have three Pacific on pre-order from the EU distributor, and I was curious to know if was possible to make an instant conversion to AA - using the body of my Kino Bays.

Anthony

DallasA

Enlightened
I would like to keep this thread on topic! To help my staff and I!

I would like to at this time address a point of interest in this light and that is it's size.

First, this unit was not designed for size. It was design with 3 factors in mind.

1. That a Lexeon could run for more then hour & ½ at top line on a single AAA Alkaline. ( Better Yet! )
2. And to be able to make this unit as versatile as possible
3. And that someone who had not a "dam clue" were to begin ( yours truly ) could push "her" abilities and expand her knowledge to make it happen. ( I will pat myself on the back, Thank you )

Did we know that the size was going to be a very big question mark, you bet!
Did Peak plan on it, you bet!
Dose Peak always go above and beyond what they can do, you bet!

Do you think Peak is finish with this line; well if your answer is yes you might want to hang around for a while.

For now, please let the beta testers focus on the current product and in good time these Beta tester will be offering you some additional information.

Until then!

MJ

PS: To our Beta Tester thank you for your feedback at this time. I will be sending out emails to you sometime next week. I appreciate the time you have taken to do this for us.