• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Beta Tester Impressions of the Pacific

DallasA

Enlightened
Ray_of_Light said:
Thank you, MJ.

I have three Pacific on pre-order from the EU distributor, and I was curious to know if was possible to make an instant conversion to AA - using the body of my Kino Bays.

Anthony

No, sorry but the Kino Bay Body will not work with the Pacific

MJ

Freedom1955

Enlightened
DallasA said:
3. And that someone who had not a "dam clue" were to begin ( yours truly ) could push "her" abilities and expand her knowledge to make it happen. ( I will pat myself on the back, Thank you )

That sounds exciting! Bravo MJ! You da woman!:rock:

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
DallasA said:
Do you think Peak is finish with this line; well if your answer is yes you might want to hang around for a while.

MJ

The removable post has my attention. Something tells me that the Pacific AAA is just the start of a "lego" style lighting system. Now to make a case that will hold all the different bodies, lens and gizmos that will connect to the light.

Freedom1955

Enlightened
Freedom1955 said:
Your telling me that the Pacific will shine as bright after 12 hrs. as it did after 4?
It's 10.00am here I'm putting in a Alkaline AAA right now.......

Ok it's been 8 hrs and 21 minutes and the Pacific is still bright enough to get around in a dark house. I'm going to see how long it takes until there is no usable light.

Freedom1955

Enlightened
Freedom1955 said:
Your telling me that the Pacific will shine as bright after 12 hrs. as it did after 4?
It's 10.00am here I'm putting in a Alkaline AAA right now.......

The Pacific using the 1AAA battery tube still has enough usable light that I can get around in my darkened house. It's been running for over 10 hrs....:rock:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any runtime tests with a lithium AAA?,
The Pacific has a looooong tail when running alkalines, perfect if any emergency arises for 8 hours of "moon mode" after 3 hours of brightness. Will a lithium have a long period of moon mode after 5 hours or--because of the properties of lithium batteries--will it run 2 hours and be done?
My pacific will be fed a steady diet of lithium AAA's so it is something to think about. The other thing I think about (speculation) is the removable post considering a lugged body will not be offered. Whatever MJ has cooking, it has to be a "must have" addition to the removable lug body to make a lugged version obsolete.
Kudos to all the reviewers, the runtimes/beamshots/images and user reports clearly define the light and it's uses.

mbely2

Enlightened
DallasA said:
The Answer is no,

Because of the head design a new AA body design had to be made for the future of this unit.

So recap: The Pacific Head will not work on former AA Bodies like the Kilimanjaro or Kino Bay

MJ

Thank you MJ.
I still think that new Pacific offers great flexibility and variety of choices and looks classy too. Great job!

I definitely will be a buyer of the new light.

One more question thought: is this in the plans to offer "pocket style" AA body for Pacific light?

This body will be considerably shorter than "key-chain" style and will make one classy light with tail standing ability.
Hope it will be available.

Thanks again.

Mark

Don_Redondo

Newly Enlightened
Update and answers

After a few days of pocket use the size and weight do not seem to be an issue – but I would still prefer smaller and lighter version for a keyring style light. On the negative side, I have had one inadvertent turn on so far. I was putting wood in the wood stove and when I crouched down I noticed the light was shining through the material of my pocket. I have no idea if the crouch caused it or if it had been on for a while. I also don't remember the last use to know how far past off it was left – but quite honestly don't think anyone should have to think about those things. I'm sure that someone can engineer a twisty with a tactile and stable off position that would not detract from the simplicity and reliability of that type of switch. As far as the test unit, it does appear that the o-ring does not provide enough resistance to keep the head from turning when carried in a pocket.

No CR2 yet – man those puppies are expensive! Maybe I'll break down and order a few of the more reasonably ones from Amondotech – or maybe a couple rechargeables from AW. Speaking of Li-ion rechargables, one of the AAAs might be pretty nice in this light since it should handle the voltage. (MJ is 3.7V OK for this light?)

Offroadcmpr – not sure which bin my TLE-5 is. It's the side emitter version and was purchased from LED-Replacement last summer if that helps.

Pokkuhlag – I think the photo may be misleading because of the sharp difference in color. There is very little difference in the diameter in the 2aaa pacific tube and the 2aaa mini-mag. I couldn't find my calipers quickly but for some rough ruler type measurement, for the open end of the tubes I got a .5 in for the mag and just a hair more for the Pacific. The knurling is more pronounced and raised on the Pacific so at the widest point it may be about a 1/32 wider than the mini-mag.

Tungsten – good catch on the "H" imprint on the positive contact of the head. There was a letter included with the test lights that indicated there would be three power level versions of the Pacific and the one sent was the "High Power" version which was the middle of the three. I assume there may be something in the works for the brightness junkies – but you'd have to verify this with MJ. I think the current brightness of this light is very good for a "walking at night" type level – bright enough to see without killing the night vision. Personally I wouldn't want anything much brighter without a two stage option – hint hint - again.

If I missed anyone's questions please ask again.

All for now, hopefully I can start some runtime testing with pics tomorrow or over the weekend.

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Don. Great follow-up.

Any beta tester out there who can compare and contrast the Pacific with a 7 LED "new style" McKinley, Ultra or HP?

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
Hey, i noticed that there are flats on the threaded part of the head. Has anyone tried opening it yet? I don't have the tools for it. I think that's where you get to the inside of the head.

Roger11

Newly Enlightened
I got my Pacific today. First thing I ripped open the package and my first impression was one of quality, and mm it is larger than I thought. I popped a 1.5 alkaline in turned it on, wow. It has punch.

Right off, it is not a keychain light. By way of size see this picture http://members.cox.net/rogerblake/~LWF0006.jpg
of the single AAA configuration with the Arc and Fenix AAA's. I think because of the timing there was a natural inclination to compare the L0P with the Pacific. However it's not an apple to apple comparison. The Pacific is brighter at the expense of pocket real-estate. Here is a head to head picture http://members.cox.net/rogerblake/L0P vs Pacific a.jpg . My sense is that the L0P expends more energy on a wider corona. The corona and hot spot have more contrast on the Pacific. The Pacific also has more throw. This results from using a Lux 3w vs Lux 1w emitter and a larger reflector. Here is the L0P http://members.cox.net/rogerblake/L0P a.jpg shining into the dark basement versus Pacific http://members.cox.net/rogerblake/Pacific a.jpg at nearly the same view.

My beta test kit also came with a 2-AAA body and two CR2 bodies, one a keychain type body. Yes it is brighter with these but I will post more later on. I wanted just to get my first impression on the board. I hope the hyperlinks work.

-roger

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roger,

Thanks for some very helpful photos---the head-to-head LOP vs. Pacific photos were something I'd been waiting for (even if they're not quite in the same category).

tungsten

Newly Enlightened
Don_Redondo said:
There was a letter included with the test lights that indicated there would be three power level versions of the Pacific and the one sent was the "High Power" version which was the middle of the three.

Wow, that would be cool. An "Ultra Power"-CR2 could be a real JIL 1.3 killer. :D

Maybe Peak reconsiders the production of a lug style body...

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don_Redondo said:
Update and answers

No CR2 yet – man those puppies are expensive!

All for now, hopefully I can start some runtime testing with pics tomorrow or over the weekend.
They did not include batteries for the beta testers :huh2: .
C:devil:

Mattia5

Newly Enlightened
Seems like the 2AAA version is filling a void that minimag 2aaa cant fill. Will get one aluminium. Thanks for all the pics and revs.

Latest posts