Better single edged blade for EDC, straight or serrated?

Best single edged blade for EDC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Serrated here.

I use my EDC knife to cut through rope. That is it's primary use.
The second use it to cut through uncut hamburger buns.

hatman

Enlightened
I have tried full serrated and combo blades in the past, but no more. Not only was not that useful to have the serrated edge, sharpening a straight edge is a lot more easy and forgiving. It is true that a serrated edge has its place, but for me, right now I only use/own straight blades for all my EDC knives:

DSCF2219.JPG

wquiles,
What model BM is that at the bottom?

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Combo. Most times the straight edge is used. But, when cutting air lines, cables or other stuff I encounter, the serrated edge gives a nice bite and initial cut to get things started.

wquiles

Flashaholic
For 99% of my uses I just need a nice slicing/cutting edge, which is why I like the ground profile and relatively thiner blade on my Sebenza - it is a great slicer. That being said, I think it is kind of cool that there are a few of you who actually use the serrated edge often - I am glad to have subscribed to this thread to hear about those alternate uses where the straight edge does not quite cut it - pun intended lovecpf

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
LedTed,

My 2 cents worth. I have an old Leatherman tool housed in a leather mag carrier that fits it like a glove; looks good on a belt (I wear belts 100% of the time unless it's absolutely fry-an-egg-on-the-sidewalk weather). Soooo, I just bought a Bark River "Gunny" small fixed blade with a Sharpshooter Systems brown leather sheath. This will look o.k. on my belt alongside the Leatherman 'mag carrier', especially as the sheath is a 'high ride', but not so high as to be annoying.

I chose the "Gunny" only after much trial and error; even more research into small to medium sized fixed blades and yet more physical comparisons between knives in the same category. Smooth blades rule; especially good ones like the Bark River knives. They are a joy to use and are being offered in exotic 'stainless' steels too. In fact; I would go as far as recommending an even smaller blade than the 'Gunny'.

I also carry a 4 inch CS voyager in my pocket; it's old and i bought it because it's flat; sharp; tough and well...I didn't know any better!! I still have it though; it locks up like a bank vault and it gets scary sharp. Good enough for the girls I go with!!! Plain blade rocks; and i've yet to encounter a situation that the ol' Voyager couldn't handle (within reason).

Sharp and smooth is good...but hey, whatever turns your crank.

The Sun

Enlightened
my outlook on an EDC blade is this:

An EDC blade is all about options, the more the better.

If you can find a partially serrated blade that still offers the options of a straight edge (ie. large belly to the blade before the serrations start) then i would go that direction. same when arguing tanto vs. drop, or spear-point. the best choice in my opinion would be both (enter XM-18 Spanto).

although the Spanto isn't for everyone you can see my point, the more options the better. if you can find a partially serrated blade with a big enough belly to act as a plain edge, but still get the option to use the serrations on the really nasty cutting (as to no dull your plain edge) then i would lean more in that direction.

So, as far as my personal opinion goes...some knives i carry with a partial serration, some i don't. a very good friend of mine sent his XM-18 to Tom Veff so he could put his Veff serrations in it (to my friends specified length of course, around 3/4" worth of serrations). IMO that is an excellent choice for an EDC, it could handle anything you may encounter.

a few examples of what i mean:

ZT 0300 series - great with serrations due to the re-curve and large plain edge belly to the blade
3.5" XM-18 - only comes in plain edge but if you can, getting serrations put in it is excellent due to the long plain edge before the serrations would start.
Spyderco Delica - no serrations, not enough plain edge
Emerson CQC-7 - IMO it doesn't matter because to me a traditional "tanto" point isn't very useful, so if you're going to get one might as well get all the options ;)

just like anything else, there is a designed purpose for all these options. for an EDC you want a very good "all-around'er." "it's better to have and not need, than need and not have," comes to my mind when thinking of an EDC knife.

i'm no longer in the military so i don't need a full on "tactical" design. i'm more on the utilitarian side of the fence for my day-to-day life now. i cut A LOT of shipping labels, mail, boxes, vegetables, paracord, etc. so, i like a blade profile that's easy to get to the tip, has a good long plain edge, and depending on the blade..serrations for rough cutting. i like mid-szed to larger blades (3.5"-4"), and very corrosion resistant materials. ease of maintenance is also a big decision here. if you're going to use the knife a lot then you don't want something that's going to dull easily, but you don't want a steel that takes a long time to sharpen either. that will be a compromise that you'll have to determine for yourself. weight isn't an issue for me so i won't comment there, but also something you should look into.

my EDC's are:

Duratech 20CV 3.5" XM-18
Crusader Forge FIFP/Metro (4" S30V Blade - 5" handle Ti/G10)
Strider SMF (S30V bead-blasted Ti, black G10)
Benchmade/HK Snody 14205 plain-edge (red bead-blasted G10, both plain, and partially serrated)
ZT 0301 (plain-edge, and partially serrated)

.......Ra Clicky 170 (1/med-low, 2/lowest low, 3/SOS, and 4/press hold, or double click forced high on all modes), i only ever use 1,2, and 4, but i have an option! :)

Last edited:

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
Ah the plethora of options for EDC blade carry. It's real easy to figure out - just leave out the 'fadish' type crap and focus on the real life issues of carrying aknife every day.

1) Decide what exacly how the knife will be used.
2) Decide your preference of 'fixed' or 'folding' blade.
3) Decide the blade length that would best suit the needs.
4) Decide what your budget will be.
5) Do some research on the best knives that 'fit' into your buget/category.
6) Decide which knife would be suitable.
7) Buy it !!!!!!!
8) Use it !!!!
9) Evaluate the knifein terms of the required usage.
10) Make ajustments - either stick with the knife you bought; or decise to buy another knife that better fulfills your needs.

Voila !!!!! Dead simple = OODA - Observe; Orient; Decide; Act !!!!!

Never forget that it's O.K. to make a mistake. Why? Because the only people that have NEVER made a mistake are people that have NEVER done anything.

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RF4C

Newly Enlightened
For me, straight. I would consider a serrated blade preferentially where I might need to cut cordage or webbing in a hurry, as a deckhand or rigger might for instance.

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
One of my more recent "changes" has been to go with leather sheaths for some EDC knives. I'm sick of this damn fancy plastic poop; it has no character. I'm gonna do this, (since i'm primarily a fixed blade nut that just can't help thinking about the SD aspect of carrying a knife in every instance); I'm gonna carry a bark river "Gunny" for general purpose stuff; it has a great open top "Sharpshooter" sheath. I'm gonna carry a Spydie "Street Beat" for townie type escapades and a Spydie "Temperance 2" for other outings away from home. That's all I need really; other than a folder clipped to my strong side pocket and a ( inch blade boot knife when I'm venturing away from home!!

I'm also having a leather sheath made for the "Street Beat" and possibly the" Temperance 2". Other than aesthetics; leather is a little less conspicuous when it's in plain sight. Having said that; I also do my utmost to conceal whatever i'm carrying while maintaining easy and lightning-fast access to said knives.

Serrated blades are an unknown to me; I resist them, just like I resisted the "toaster oven" when they became more and more popular. I bet i've missed a few good meals made in a toaster oven though!!!!!

Knives are cool...I love those leaf-shaped blades most of all. My idea of "beauty" in a three dimensional utility object is that:

1) It has to have pleasing form and feel.
2) It has to perform flawlessly, the tasks for which it is designed.
3) You have to be able to live with it on a day to day basis.

There's nothing more annoying than a "phony" knife, no matter how well it's made, or how good the materials used in its manufacture.

m3flies

Banned
Straight edge. Prefer and use straight edge most of the time. But also have a nice serrated on my leatherman charge TTi.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I got here too late to vote but my vote woulda been straight.

I can see where people need serrations, really I can.

But I don't carry a big enough blade to make it worth while. I drive an 18 wheeler and my two most uses for a knife are cutting plastic seals off trailers, and cutting steak in a Truck Stop Restaurant, Also fix torn and torn off mud flaps.

Straight edges for me. Also a punch and a can opener. Scout knife baby!